Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: She Fishes Through it....  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 She Fishes Through it .....

The women of St Croix provide a peek inside their lives (and rod lockers)

:coffee: ..........
The events of the past few months have redefined "normal" for almost everyone. Many have found it difficult to adapt. But for women who have spent years in the fishing industry, challenges and obstacles are things they're accustomed to facing and well equipped to tackle.

Michigan native and angling veteran, Barb Carey, is no stranger to life's ebbs and flows. A retired police officer, mother, educator, outdoor communicator, USCG-licensed charter captain and founder of WI Women Fish, Barb is used to having very little free time. When it recently became much more abundant, she was able to slow down and rediscover her own backyard.

"COVID-19 stopped me in my tracks," says Carey. "I got reintroduced to my house and my immediate surroundings. It was the first time I have slowed down since I can remember. I am discovering new fishing spots in my neighborhood I never knew existed, because I never had time to look for them."

When Barb isn't fishing, she remains firmly focused on her mission of introducing more women to the sport. Along with founding WI Women Fish, Barb has put on numerous events designed to teach women how to fish across the country and communicates through many forms of media. "I am thrilled to see the surge of women anglers hitting the water," she says. "I see women gain self-confidence through this sport and that carries over to other areas of their lives."  :bow:

When asked what advice she would give someone just getting into the sport, Carey suggests that they take their time and do their best to just enjoy the experiences and the process. "Figure out what your goals are. Spend time on the water improving your skills. Don't ask for the answers that are going to be on the test but study the lessons and develop the instincts to continually improve. That's how anyone becomes a better angler. And make it a point to support each other. We are better together and it is not a competition."

Check out the web site
https://wiwomenfish.com/
« Last Edit: May 05/27/20, 04:47:52 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again