Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Duck Recipes  (Read 13565 times)

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Please post your favorite Duck recipes to share.  ;)
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
APRICOT-GLAZED DUCK

2 ducks, cleaned
2 cups fresh apricot preserves or canned apricots
1 tbsp. brandy
Cornstarch to thicken (See recipe for Baked Duck)

Then: drain liquid from apricots into saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; add cornstarch and stir. Remove from heat and add apricots and brandy. Remove ducks from oven 10 minutes before cooked, brush with sauce and return to oven to finish cooking. Serves 4.
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
BAKED DUCK
(basic recipe for baking all ducks)

2 mallard ducks cleaned
salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
4 slices bacon or salt pork
3 cups water
1 tsp. prepared herb seasoning
2 chicken bouillon cubes

Salt and pepper ducks. Place in baking pan. Add half of onion and half of celery; place other half in body cavities. Strip bacon (2 slices per bird) across breast. Add to pan: water, herb seasoning, and bouillon cubes. Cook at 300 degrees for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Smaller ducks should cook 2 hours. When ducks have cooked, remove and wrap in aluminum foil to retain heat. Serves 8 (if quartered).
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
ORIENTAL GINGERED DUCK

3-4 lbs. meat from young ducks
cut into 1 1/2" cubes, skin on
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup pickled ginger root - sliced
Fat for deep-frying

Make a frying batter of eggs, flour, 2 tbsp. water, and salt. Stir until smooth. Dip duck cubes into batter and fry, a few at a time, in deep fat heated to 350-360 degrees, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; put into a warm dish. Make a hot sauce with boiling water, cider vinegar, and sugar;stir until sugar is dissolved. Make a smooth mixture of cornstarch and soy sauce with 1/4 cup cold water;stir into vinegar-sugar mixture. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened. Add the ginger root, stir well, heat, and pour over fried duck

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
PARMESAN DUCK BREAST

2 duck breasts, boned and sliced
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 beaten egg mixed with 1 tsp. water
1 cup Wesson oil

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Dip pieces of duck breast in beaten egg and roll in Parmesan cheese. Fry in hot oil.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
PINEAPPLE DUCK

(See recipe for Baked Duck) 2 ducks, cleaned
1 (16 oz.) can pineapple, diced
Cornstarch for thickening

Remove cooked ducks from oven and quarter. Empty pineapple syrup into saucepan. Bring to boil, thicken to medium sauce with cornstarch. Add diced pineapple, stir, and pour over ducks. Serves 4.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
STUFFED WILD DUCK

2 young, plump wild ducks, cleaned
Parsley, grapes, apple wedges
2 small onions, chopped
1 cup chopped apple, unpeeled
1 1/3 cups water
6 tbsp. melted shortening or bacon drippings
2/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup chopped celery
Salt

Rub cavity of each duck with 1 tsp. salt. Combine celery, chopped apple, and onion; stuff into cavity of each duck. Close cavity with skewers. Brown ducks in shortening in a heavy Dutch oven; add water, orange juice, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover tightly; cook over low heat 45-60 minutes or until tender (time depends on age of duck). Baste 2-3 times during cooking. Garnish with parsley, grapes, and apple wedges. 6 servings.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Sweet & Sour Duck

1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 boneless skinless whole wild duck
   breast (8 to 12 oz.) cut into 1 inch
   pieces
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons catsup
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks in juice,
   drained (reserve 1 tablespoon juice)    2 eggs
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks in juice,
   drained (reserve 1 tablespoon juice)
1 cup all purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
2 cups red and green pepper chunks
   (1 inch chunks)
1/2 small onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1
   tablespoon cold water
In medium mixing bowl, combine sherry, soy sauce and salt. Add duck pieces. Stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes. In small mixing bowl, combine broth, vinegar, sugar, catsup, lemon peel and reserved pineapple juice. Set sauce aside. In shallow dish, lightly beat eggs. Place 1/2 cup flour on sheet of wax paper. On second sheet of wax paper, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour and the baking powder. Dredge duck pieces first in plain flour, then dip in eggs, and then dredge in flour mixture to coat. Arrange duck pieces in single layer on wax paper lined baking sheet. IN 12 inch nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Add duck pieces. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until meat is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Drain duck pieces on paper towel lined plate. Cover to keep warm. Set aside. In same skillet, cook garlic and ginger root over medium heat for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add sauce, pineapple chunks, pepper and onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender crisp, stirring constantly. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and translucent, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Return duck pieces to skillet. Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 "Duck balls"
Cube duck breasts and dip in liquid smoke( if desired) wrap and bacon and BBQ.
same goes for goose. you can also soak the meet in a cup of soy sauce rather then using liquid smoke, this is also very good!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
Duck Jerkey,
   not many have heard of this but i love it. i dont have measurements because its different everytime but marinade thin sliced breast for 24+ hrs in
   it will be mostly soy sauce and liquid smoke, the rest are moderate.
   mix until it smells right

soy sauce
liquid smoke
warchesterchire sauce
terriaki flavor
black pepper
red pepper
minced garlic

dehidrate or smoke just like venison
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Hunter's Duck

2 whole ducks skinned and pieced
1/2 c Ketchup
1/2 c Jelly/Jam of choice (I use Mixed Berry)
1/4 c Sherry
1/2 tsp Worcestshire
Garlic, Salt and Pepper to taste (just over 1/4 tsp)

Pour all ingredients into sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes while browning duck pieces in pan on both sides. Once duck is browned and sauce has simmered, combine both in casserole dish and bake in oven at 325 for about an hour covered. Times and temps will vary depending on size of duck pieces you are cooking. You also have to alter amounts of ingredients as well. Obviously to Teal would cook faster then two Black Ducks! Serve over rice and Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: July 07/26/10, 02:29:41 PM by FireRanger »
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Prime Rib Goose

Two Goose Breasts
8 slices of bacon
Coffee Grounds
4 Soaked  wooden skewers

Take two goose breasts and slice in half horizontally. Take coffee grounds and sprinkle over goose breasts and then lay uncooked bacon strips over top (you may also season with garlic and S and P as well). Roll up breasts with coffee and bacon strips inside and skewer with soaked skewer. Sprinkle coffee grounds on outside of roll and then grill on med to high heat until goose reaches internal temperature of at least 165. Bon Appetite!!
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Barbecued Duck or Grouse

2 large ducks or grouse
1/2 bottle (12-oz) chili sauce
1/2 bottle (14-oz) hot catsup
1/4 lb. margarine or butter
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. water

Place quartered birds on rack, skin side up, in shallow pan in 325-degree oven. Melt margarine in small pan; add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow boil. Keep warm. Baste meat, continuing to baste every 15 minutes for about 45 minutes. You may want to turn birds when top is browned. Skinned birds barbecue nicely too. Baste often.

Makes 4 servings. Barbecued duck per serving: 446 calories, 27 g fat, 33 g carbohydrate and 1.5 g fiber.

www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Roast Duck

1 small young duck
2 c. apples, quartered
1 slice onion
2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. pepper
1 c. orange juice

Fill cavity with peeled, quartered apples. Close with skewers. Tie legs and wings close to body. Rub with onion slice, salt and pepper. Roast, back side up, uncovered, at 325 degrees 1 to 1 1/2hours. Baste every 10 minutes with orange juice. Large ducks such as mallards will serve two. Small ducks such as teal serve one adult.

Makes 1 serving. Each serving contains 366 calories, 4.5 g fat, 66.5 g carbohydrate, 5.8 g fiber and 0 mg cholesterol.

www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
There are a few new ones I have'nt tried here,coffee grounds and bacon are hard to beat,nut Tami,you have a couple of dandy's there.Thanx~
Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline duckbuck90

• Outdoorsman
cut duck or goose up into little pieces soak in any marinade I use thousand island , for about 12 hours put on grill wraped in bacon and cream cheese and jalapenos best ever try it and let me know how it is...  :rocker;

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
gotta get me some duck first!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: ;D :fudd: :fudd:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 I grew eating duck almost weekly.My mother cooked it dry.The best wild duck I ever had was some texans stripped the breasts out fried them rare right in the blind! Jucie tastyUMMM.I quit duck hunting in 3003 04?? around there, cause I am old enough to remember the fine flights comming through Mn.Thats gone! My duck now days comes from a grocery store and I sure do like it!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Recipe: Delectable Duck Legs
Slow-cooked with a moist mango and honey glaze

When cooked properly, duck legs are so much tastier than the breast meat. Early in the season when the birds have yet to bulk up, however, some hunters think it’s not worth keeping the legs. Are they ever missing out! You just need to keep in mind that duck legs are highly exercised muscles, so they must be cooked slowly, usually in moist conditions. The first few steps of this recipe are similar to preparing a preserving, although I sometimes prefer to cook duck legs in a flavored stock with citrus and herb elements, making for a lighter finished product. Serves 4.

4 duck legs, excess fat removed
    ¼ cup olive oil
    ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    Pinch each salt and black pepper
    3 tbsp chopped parsley
    4 parsnips, peeled and sliced thin
    1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 oz Pernod
    1 cup mango juice
    ¼ cup honey
    Salt and black pepper, to taste
    2 sprigs thyme, chopped

1.    Place legs in a glass container and sprinkle with oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Rub ingredients into legs and place in fridge to marinate overnight.
2.   The next day, remove legs from marinade; scrape off excess ingredients, place on paper towel and set aside.
3.    Heat a non-reactive pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic from marinade, along with parsnips and fennel, and lightly sauté for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, Pernod, mango juice and honey, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer.
4.    Add legs and thyme, and gently cook, uncovered, for 1½ to 2 hours; when done, meat should be very tender but not falling off the bone. Strain out and set aside vegetables, then reduce remaining liquid by half and reserve for basting.
5.    The duck legs can be quickly crisped up on the barbecue or in the oven, basting a couple of times with the reserved liquid. Serve with reserved cooked vegetables and creamy polenta.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Corned duck/goose

If you like corned beef, you'll love this. And 3 goose breasts is about 3 lbs on the head.

3 lbs meat
4 tbsp Mortons tenderquick
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then rub thoroughly on all sides of the meat. Place meat in a large ziploc bag and store in fridge for 8 days. Overhaul every other day. Place cured meat in a roasting pan and cover with water. Add 1 tsp pickling spices. Cover and simmer (never boil) for 4 hours in the oven.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Glad this thread popped up again,old thread with great idea's,Tami has some great recipe's. :happy1:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I've only done duck one way. Cut in cubes ,Pineapple chunks, onions and duck on kabobs medium rare.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
HD,when you say "duck legs" can I assume you mean legs and thighs? duck legs are pretty small alone.Gotta try your recipe tho,thanx for sharing.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
HD,when you say "duck legs" can I assume you mean legs and thighs? duck legs are pretty small alone.Gotta try your recipe tho,thanx for sharing.
Yup legs and thighs....you are correct.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Savory Waterfowl Stew

Beat the winter chill with this classic catchall recipe

By Scott Leysath – thesportingchef.com

A warm fire, dry clothes, and a hot bowl of hearty stew is a just reward after a cold, wet day of slogging through a wetland obstacle course. No need to wait for the simmering chunks of duck and goose breasts to get spoon tender. This stew was prepared a day ahead. And of course it's always better the next day. Since it looks like the cold weather is not likely to change any time soon, make a double batch that you can load into a thermos and share with your hunting partners.

By definition, a stew is slowly cooked at lower temperatures than a soup. It's thicker, richer, and should support an upright fork. Slow cooking in liquid transforms lean, dense waterfowl meat into tender morsels that have absorbed the flavor of the surrounding broth. It's stick-to-your-ribs comfort chow that pairs well with a glass of red wine or a frosty cold beer and the inevitable nap. Why fight it? Curl up on the couch and dream of huge flights of mallards with their feet down.

Any recipe for stew should be used as an outline that can be adjusted to suit individual tastes. Like it hot? Add a hot pepper or two. Got a beef bone or shank? Throw it in the stew pot early to add richness and flavor not found in a can of beef broth.

Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes 
Marinating Time: 1-2 hours 
Cooking Time: 20 minutes browning, plus 2-3 hours simmering
Serves: 8-10

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    6 cups skinless duck and/or goose breast fillets, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    8 cups beef broth or game stock
    1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
    1/2 cup pearled barley (uncooked)
    2 cups celery, roughly chopped
    2 cups carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
    8-10 whole peeled garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 cups fresh green beans, stem ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 1/2 cups whole pearl onions, skins removed
    Salt to taste

Directions

In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients and toss well to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
    Heat a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and marinade, and brown meat evenly. Add stock and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add barley, celery, carrots, and garlic cloves and simmer for 25 minutes more.
    Stir in tomato paste, add green beans and onions, and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and additional pepper to taste. 

To prepare this recipe using a slow cooker: First brown the meat and add the remaining ingredients, reducing the stock by one-half. Cook on medium-low for 4 to 5 hours or until the meat is tender. This recipe can also be prepared in a dutch oven over white-hot coals. Serve with croutons or crusty bread.

Peeling Pearl Onions

When a recipe calls for pearl onions, I look for them already cooked in a jar or can to avoid the annoying task of peeling a pile of tight-skinned onions. If you insist on using fresh ingredients, plunge the onions into boiling water for a few minutes, drain them in a colander, and plunge them into an ice-water bath to cool. Cut off the stem end and give the onion a squeeze from the other end. It will pop right out.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Boy, that sounds good!!! Without those stinkin' GB's, though!!!  :angry:    :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure is some great recipes up and down this thread. When we camped and hunted we would always cube a few birds up wrap in bacon on skewers and grill over tge open fire, while the legs and thighs burbled in a cast iron of chicken broth. If you ask me I believe the birds being tgat fresh it didn't really matter for the seasonings,  standing over s campfire with a beer in hand they always turned out perfect.

I like this one for any game when your cutting it up, it's ment for 2 lbs of meat but you can adjust.
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1/4 tsp lemon pepper, garlic pepper and paprika.
Combine all the ingredients in a zip lock and mix in the meat. Brown in oil on medium high heat then  transfer to a casserole dish. This is the main ingredient,  pour enough heavy whipping cream over the meat so they are not swimming but half way up the pieces. Cover and cook at 300 for about an hour... good stuff!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Omigod.... :hubba:  Can you guys stop for a bit?! I'm just having hamburger tonite!   :mad1: