Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Best Internal Temp for smoking Fish  (Read 18387 times)

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have one receipe that says you need to smoke fish to an internal temp of 160 to 165
I have another receipe that calls for an internal temp of 145

I think the 160 to 165 temp makes the fish to dry, and the 145 temp the fish doesn't look done, but it is real moist.

I did my trout this weekend to an internal temp of 152, which I thought was just about right. But it that hot enough?

Is there a general rule of thumb for smoking fish?

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ???  any smoked fish should have a internal temp of 160 deg. ! the only differance that i have seen is the thickness of the fish and how oily the fish is . with the oilier the fish there is the tendenacy to over smoke them ?  what i like to do is to pat the oil dry with a cheese cloth to remove the excess oil and drythem in an oven at 200 deg. for about an hour with the door slightly open .

hope this helps ?

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
 WELL .........  I HAVE ALWAYS CURED MY FISH  WITH A SALT SOLUTION  BEFORE I SMOKE IT .  SO THE INTERNAL TEMP  DOES NOT MATTER  FOR ME.  BUT 160  IS BEST  IF YOU ARE COOKING  AND SMOKING IT !!!    WOODCHUCK HAS IT DOWN PAT !!

HT
« Last Edit: June 06/18/07, 04:18:38 PM by holdemtwice »
member  # 569

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I did two different brines this weekend, one had to sit overnight and the other had to sit 1 1/2 to 2 days.

I pat dry and let air dry 1 hour before putting smoker

I put in the smoker @ 180 for 1/2 to 1 hour with "smoke off"
Then smoke at 180 to 200 until internal reaches what ever brine receipe call for.  I think 145 is not done enough, I just wanted some more opinions

Thanks Guys.....
A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 also when i smoke , its done at 250 deg.and not on a day that is windy, raining or with high humidity! pretty much have to wait and wish for the perfect day ???????????

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
 i smoke in any kind of weather . makes no difference to me. I hear what you r saying ice.It is always good  to hear from others  on their ideas .  good luck buddy .  enjoy the fish .. . .. .. . ...   

ht
member  # 569

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If this brine works out this time I'll post it, I have been tweaking it to my liking. 
Margaret Mead

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
 SOUNDS GOOD !!  I AM ALWAYS  LOOKING FOOR A NEW BRINE . I HAVE A FEW I CAN SHARE WITH YOU  IF YOU WOULD LIKE .  JUST LET ME KNOW ..   HT
member  # 569

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
HT

I need to be in Burnsville Thursday Eve, to pick up some stuff at my Aunts, to deliver to my mom in Montana next week

Want to meet somewhere?  She is just off  Burnsville Pkwy and Nicolett on Butternut Lane, I just might bring a sample of something I smoked...

Margaret Mead

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
 sure  stop by the house  and  lets have a beer .   i am n ot far from there at all !!!  would like to meet you .   call me

9522246833  scott
member  # 569

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sounds Good  Will call you tomorrow
Margaret Mead