Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lake Iwanttobethere  (Read 318892 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
SO I AM sitting out on the deck here at the cabin on a hidden bay on Lake Iwanttobethere. The bass jumping thermometer on the wall says it is eighty-six out and by the tops of the trees I would say we have about a ten mile wind coming from out of the South. I have a large glass glass of lemonade within reach and as the big ice cubes melt they tumble down in the glass making clinking sounds. As I sip on the lemonade I reveal ice cubes as the level of the lemonade goes down. I take the ice cubes one at a time and give them to a waiting brown dog who is sitting at my side exactly for that reason. Duncan continues the clinking sound as he mouths the ice and they bang off his pearly white teeth and melt slowly in his mouth.

I have a cigar lit and normally they take about an hour to smoke, I am taking that much time to just sit back and do nothing. The wife is at the number one daughters baby-sitting the granddaughter's and although I was invited I decided to stay home and let the wife chase after the three girls. Now I did get some things done, I watered and walked the gardens and picked some cherry tomatoes, and a couple of cucumbers and a few ears of corn were brought in and ate for lunch. The wife was in the garden yesterday and called me over. Laying on the ground were several corn husks and she told me it looked like a raccoon or something has gotten into the corn. Must be a small raccoon though as it is only taking a few ears at a time. I nodded my head in agreement and told her we better keep an eye out for the bandit. I then walked out of the garden and told Duncan who was at my side to stop bring the corn back to the garden when I throw it away.

Need to go into town, Post Office for stamps and the Gas N Go to fill up the Tahoe. I have it on my calendar to go fishing tomorrow and I prefer to have a full tank in case I get sidetracked to another lake or two. Puddle Humper is all clean and sitting in the boat house eager to get back out on the water. I did have to put in a call down to Vicki at the Masterbaiters bait shop to see if she had some yellow buzz baits in stock. She did and I asked her to put four aside and I will be down to pick them up. General Store is on the list of things to do to as I ordered a new trailer jack for the Puddle Humpers trailer. I have been putting it off since the original one is still on there and I have pretty much worn the wheel off. Getting hard to get the trailer off the Tahoe when I can't get no height jacking the trailer up. Maybe tonight I will put it on but more likely that will be something I'll get to tomorrow.

So with my cigar half smoked and me being on my second glass of lemonade I am just sitting back and enjoying summer. Granddaughter number two has a soccer game that I will be going to between my errands in town. I am guessing it will be dark by the time I get home. I figure I might as well make a stop at the Lodge and see how things are going. Maybe listen in on a few fishing conversations to see if it is just me who has discovered the buzz bait bite. My last two fishing trips resulted in sixty-six bass and northerns coming over the side of the Puddle Humper I am hoping to continue that tomorrow fishing here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
WOKE UP THIS morning to the sound of thunder, rain hitting the bedroom window and a loud groan. The loud groan I realized was coming from me. I sat up on the edge of the bed and listen to the rain fall, I think I remember hearing Sunshine Ray say we had a chance of rain so I should have known it was going to rain. I rolled my casting shoulder a little bit and felt some discomfort, that would explain the groan and now that I was moving around my hand was sore to. A fishermen ache which will go away the more I keep fishing.

So like most plans the plan did not go as planned. I went to the Lodge after the granddaughter's soccer game and I had completely forgotten all about the Town Hall meeting. I might point out here that pretty much the entire town had forgotten about the meeting. We are having a good summer here at Lake Iwanttobethere so there is not to much to complain about. I had already missed the reading of the last minutes and there was no real new business so the meeting was called and a few conversations broke out and that was that. By the time I got out the General Store was closed so I didn’t get my trailer jack so that did not get installed.

Yesterday it was iffy for awhile if I was going fishing, seems there was some work that needed to get done around the cabin and the wife pointed out it would be a nice day to do it. Not a breath of air moved the tree tops here and I made a command decision to go fishing. Now that I am fishing it does not take long to get ready to go fishing. I had already took the daughters fishing gear out of the boat along with the extra seat and life vest. I added a few more rods of my own and then went back inside the cabin to grab the ever present brown bag lunch from the fridge and added a couple of water bottles to the small cooler and put it in the Puddle Humper. I made one call as a courtesy to my neighbor Chuck and told him I was going fishing and asked if he wanted to come with. He told me he had worked to do and I gave him some ribbing about how it was going to be a great buzz bait day and told him where he could find me if he changed his mind.

A few minutes later I drove down the driveway and looked in the rearview mirror of the Tahoe to see the wife standing on the deck watching me and my dog Duncan sitting at her side, I don’t know which one had more of "The Look" on their face. Fishing was good, not outstanding but good. I don’t have any story to tell you about a big one caught or about a big one that got away. The biggest bass I caught was three pounds-six ounces and it came in the first hour that I was on the water. I took a selfie of myself and the fish and sent it to my neighbor Chuck who text me back a very short message, "&*^&%& You" it said and I took it as an approval. I spent five hours on the water and most of the time I was tossing a buzz bait trying to catch bass but the northerns kept getting in the way. By seven-thirty I was done, the light was failing and I had a lot of weeds to clean out of the boat before I could head home. Thursday I am thinking of going fishing, Going to see how the plastic worm fishing bite is, my arm needs a rest from the buzz bait rod here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a picture of a Bass caught on a frog yesterday afternoon on a hot, calm day here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
NO FISHING YESTERDAY but I did spend time around the Puddle Humper. One of those jobs that should take about fifteen minutes ended up killing an afternoon. I gathered the tools I needed to take off the twenty-eight year old trailer jack that is on the Puddle Humper boat trailer. First problem the deep socket that I had was not deep enough and I could not find the right size. I was laying on the ground under the trailer scratching my head trying to figure out why they would put eight inch threaded bolts on the trailer jack. Duncan was laying along side of me and as I explained the problem he to looked a little surprised.

Simple fix, I would just get the saw and shorten the bolts so my smaller socket will fit, Hmm seems my metal blade was so dull you could not cut butter with it so I went to doing it old fashion way. I got out a wrench and prepared to loosen a twenty-eight year old nut and to my surprise it spun real easy. A good thing you say but I was not looking forward to spinning a nut all the way down four inches of thread four times so I made a command decision, I would go to town. Duncan called shotgun and we drove down to town with the windows down taking it yet another warm September afternoon. There was a little wind and it was muggy so I was telling myself that maybe it was a better work on the trailer day then a fishing day.

I was in no great hurry so I drove kind of slow and waved at neighbors who were out mowing. I saw Dotch out driving his Silver Hawk, moving kind of slow. I think he was trying not to raise any dust that would fall on the old car. I picked up two saw blades for the saw and while I was there I bought a 9/16th deep socket to replace the one that I could not find. I stopped by the Gas N Go and bought a soda and watched for awhile as a local wood carver was making eagles out of logs in the parking lot. He was standing ankle deep in shavings and he looked hot, I was thinking about buying him a soda but I learned a long time ago not to walk up behind a guy with a chain saw, but that is another story.

I took the access road around the park and saw that it is already full and several trailers are parked at the water access. Lodge looks busy but I decided not to stop in, I had to get that trailer jack put on. Right tools for the right job I always say and no sooner did I climb under the trailer and fire up the air impact wrench and I had them nuts spun off and the new trailer jack mounted. I took the old jack and dropped it in the garbage can and put tools away. I went back to look at the new trailer jack and found Duncan sitting and admiring it to. I gave him a pat on his back and then watched as he walked over to the new jack and lifted his leg.

Which brings me to now. I am in the den taking a break from weed wacking the property. Next up is getting out the lawn tractor and mowing but I needed a little break. The wife is in the kitchen canning, you can smell the spices here in the den and it is a little steamy in there. Some more pickles are being made and she just came in from the garden with a big bowl of cherry tomatoes that will get frozen and used for chili sometime this winter. The wife just came in the den and handed me a 9/16th deep socket that she took from her apron pocket, told me she picked it up yesterday and just forgot to give it to me..... Just another day here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
CHILLING ON THE deck here at the cabin this morning, well not really. It started to rain around four this morning and a thunderstorm took its sweet time passing. The rain gage says we got over and inch and a half of rain and I was thinking I am sure glad it was not snow. Already seventy-six out and very humid, I feel like I am in a slow cooker. I am sitting on a wet wood chair on the deck and feels good. I have some O J that I am sipping on and I am looking out over the slack waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. The number one daughter and her husband took the girls and went on a mini vacation this weekend. I have their two dogs here and Duncan has house guests. Yesterday they spent the afternoon running but today they are just laying around on the deck. I am thinking they are tired out as I thought I heard Duncan snoring last night.

Overcast sky and more rain is in Sunshine Ray's forecast for today, matter of fact he is calling for some thunderstorms later this evening and heavy rain. Never seems to fail for the poor tent campers, this summer we have gotten heavy rain every time they have shown up. Yesterday I was in town running some errands and killing time so I would not have to work on the Honey Do List. I drove by the camp grounds and they were full. The tent sites were filled with every color in the rainbow as tents and rain fly's were tied off between the trees. The RV side was also full but I don't understand the appeal to parking inches away from your neighbor. There is room until they start cranking out there expansions and raise the roofs. By the time they are done there is no walking room between them and all you can hear is the sound of Jude Judy coming from their TV's

Yesterday time was spent in the garden, more cucumbers were harvested and the never ending weeds were pulled. Sweet corn is looking good as this is the second batch that should be ripe for the picking here soon. My tobacco is also ready for another picking as with all of this nice weather and rain the small leaves that I did not pick a month ago have grown to harvest size. I am going to wait a while on them as I don't really have any drying room in the shed for them. Every other day we have cherry tomatoes to pick and bag. They are froze in bags till they are needed again in to be put in chili this winter. Onions are drying and hanging, not as big as I would like but they are tasty. I got the yard all mowed and I am hoping the grass slows down growing but all of this rain is not helping.   

So the reason I am sitting out on the deck on a wet chair is because I am watching a big red and white float that I have tossed out off the dock. Under the float is a lively sucker minnow that I borrowed from my neighbor Elmer's minnow bucket. Normally I would have the old dog Barney watching my float but he is no longer here with me and I never did get around to teaching Duncan how to do that. As I sip on the juice I see Elmer come out of his place and take the path down to his dock. I move my chair over some so I am behind my planters with tomato plants and out of sight of Elmer. He makes it to his dock and pulls his rod out of the holder hanging off one of the pipes. He pulls up his minnow bucket and then I see him scratching his head. I know he knows he had two sucker minnows but now he should have seven. You see I stopped by the Masterbaiters yesterday and bought some sucker minnows to replace the few I have borrowed over the summer. I like to keep the old guy guessing here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
YESTERDAYS PARADE HAD to go through a few water puddles on Main Street. Over night it rained again but that was just dessert to the thunderstorms that came through this end of the lake just as the sun was setting into Lake Iwanttobethere. Labor Day arrived with some clouds in the sky and much better weather conditions. The humidity of the last few days was greatly reduced and you could now walk around town and not have to have cold towel around your neck. It looks like a lot of the tent campers gave up and pulled out early, a couple of inches of rain in an hour will make you think twice about outdoor camping.

Parade started at one and I think everyone in town was on hand to either watch from the curb or be in it. I was lucky enough to find a place alongside a shade tree on Main Street and had a good view of the doings. I was also in a good place to shake hands and exchange HIYA's with local town folk. Usually the tree is a spot that Rick our mayor hangs out at but he was in the parade, matter of fact he was in the first tractor behind the Lake Iwanttobethere marching band. Most stores were closed in town during the parade but reopened right after. Got to be ready for the tourist when they leave Main Street with a few vacation dollars to still spend.

As I watched the parade I kept a mental note of who was in it, as mentioned Rick our mayor was there but right behind him was Mindy and Mandy the makers of Lake Iwanttobethere Root Beer. Behind them was Reed the Realtor in his Bio-disel RV, Reed had a huge banner hanging from the RV with his face on it. Jessie the paperboy was riding in his trailered boat and behind him was Mark the mailman in his boat. A hay wagon being driven by Mick the son of Old McDonnell carried a hot tub with Mabel from Mabel's Sauna and Steam House, lucky for the tourist most of Mabel was underwater. A lot of town businesses did not have time to put together floats so they just marched with banners showing off their business's names. There was the Middle of the Bloc Cafe and Little Louie's Licorice & Liquor Store. The Gas N Go and Josh, Big Earl's nephew and the owner of the Broken Stuff store.

Arlo with some of his fly fishing buddies wearing waders followed and Amy from Amy's Bakery was there pushing a small pastry cart. Barley and his brother Hopps were there with a beer delivery truck and a banner on the truck said they would be giving away free samples at the picnic of their Needabeer and Whynotale. Burt and Bart's Barbershop did have a float in the parade, the two barbers were sitting up front and the Ladies Auxiliary was sitting on hay bales behind them. Next up was Marv and Elmer with their Marv's Magazine & Smoke Shop banner, they both had unlit stogies in their mouths. Paul Bunion and his son, Little Bunion waved to the crowd wearing TV sets to advertise their TV repair shop. Behind them was Twitch with his dog Zap the town's electrician. Dug from Dug's Garage was there and Del from Del's Sub and Pizza Shop, "Home of the flying pie skipped out to your boat" Dan from the Auto Store and Vicki from the Masterbaiters Shop. A flyby by Tinker in his float plane made everyone look upwards just in time to get hit with some water, he must have just taken off from the bay.

Tye Knotts the tackisdurmist was there along with a couple of gals from the Three Sheets Motel which for some reason received a polite round of applause from some of the guys. The FELLOWS were all there riding lawnmowers with the blades of course taken off and Dock Burriem riding with his old nurse Mrs. Stitch followed with his old black buggy and a borrowed horse. Hammering Hank and Skinny came with their work truck and they were followed by Stan and Jean in their mobile Ice Cream/Tackle Truck. Spokes and Wheels bike shop was there along with Rocky from Rocky's Hobby Shop. More banners followed carried by employees of the Chicken Shack, The Robin's Nest, Ma and Pa's Grocery. In Your Face the Breakfast Place and the Fat & Short Shop. Another hay wagon came this time with the Fiona and Fred Fiddle and their kids playing their fiddles. They would stop every hundred feet or so and the family would play a short tune. I think their horse were tired pulling the wagon.

More banners as the Do Drop Inn and the Sunshine Cafe were next and behind them was Dave and his brother Dave from the D&D Drugstore. Close Enough Store had a float as did Clive from the Produce Stand. Bacon Platter Dinner was there and Broken Stuff had a trailer offering great deals after the parade. A school bus with Mrs. Jameson the County Fair Bus Demolition winner, who was not driving was next. Hanging from the windows and waving to the crowd and throwing candy was Jerry and Josh. Mr. Scroggs and Old Man Johnson, Vic was in the back seat sitting along side his friend Elise. Barb from the General Store and Benny from the Three Strikes Bowling Alley along with Junkyard Mike were having a good time tossing candy as the kids ran alongside the bus.

Getting towards the end of the Parade the Lodge had a float with Gus and Honey Sauce and Vinnie. They were followed by the Lumber Yard flatbed driven by Luan and her sons Tongue and Grove in the back along with her husband. Nytelyter in his dump truck and Frank driving his grader. Dotch had his old car which drew some more applause from the guys. The towns fire tucks were next and Big Earl was driving the ladder truck and Lazar Larson the county surveyor drove the pumper. Old man Swenson hung from one side of the pumper truck and Potato Joe hung from the other side.

With the fire trucks came the end of the parade and we, the crowd that is followed the fire trucks down to the park where true to their word free beer and root beer was flowing. Smell of BBQ in the air and the picnic was in full swing. Here I shook hands and made small talk with some visitors who I hope will become residents, I met Monstermoose and Legalmusky talking fishing of course and Anyfish was sampling the root beer while Hoppe was at the mini donut wagon. Ran into my neighbor Chuck who asked me if I have met Vermilionfox, told him no but I have been keeping an eye out. No wind and just a few clouds as I walked around shaking hands I heard many a tourist talking about coming back again to visit all of us here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
CALL ME A wimp but I had it penciled in on my calendar to go fishing today and I decided not to. Early this morning I put a call into a buddy who had invited me to fish his lake and he told me it got below forty last night and some of his neighbors told him they had received frost. When I made the call he said it was not supposed to get much above the middle fifties and there was some wind coming out of the North. I checked the forecast and today and tomorrow are going to be cold but Sunday looks pretty good, back in the seventies, my kind of weather at this time of the year.

The day was not a loss though as I had some things to do and I made several checks on the Honey Do List. Some more tobacco was harvested and the wife canned some beans. I ran into town for more lids and a couple of mouse traps. Seen some sign of the little buggers and I waved the mouse traps at the three cats and told them they better get to work or I have their replacements right here. I did take a side trip to my neighbors Chuck, he was cleaning his wood stove. He has one of them fancy ones and it has been awhile since he took the stove apart and did a really good cleaning and inspection. While he was at it he cleaned the chimney and also washed the living room floor and wiped down some walls and furniture. That happens when you blow out soot with a leaf blower and forget to close the draft on the stove. Lucky for him his wife was not at home.

My hot peppers are growing great in the containers. I noticed Eddy the squirrel trying to rob me of one. He pulled it off the plant and dropped it right away. I have to admit it brought a smile to my face and I thought it was great payback for the apples that he has been stealing from my tree. Back in town you can tell the weather is changing, I saw a lot of people in shorts wearing hoodies. Even Big Earl at the General Store was outside with his trusty broom greeting people wearing a sweatshirt under his red apron. Over at the Gas N Go the price of gas went down a nickel, still not as cheap as the other end of the lake but no sense in complaining to the eighteen year old clerk who can't do a thing about it. I just bought a couple of gallons for the garden tractor as my grass does not know fall is coming and continues to keep growing.

Back at the cabin I thought about doing some weed whacking but instead filled the tank sprayer with some killer and hit all the stuff growing in the drive and along the sidewalks. Tomorrow I will put on some long pants and go beat it all down and maybe mow. Granddaughter only has two soccer games left, the season went by very fast. Football on Sunday but no teams that I will be following play so I plan on fishing, Lake should be quiet but the Lodge will be busy. Just nine days away from grouse season and I think Duncan knows it, he has been watching me very carefully anytime I walk past the gun cabinet here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
SO MY FISHERMEN'S ache must be because I threw a buzz bait all day the other day. This morning I got up and rotated my shoulder and it felt pretty good. I mean it cracked a little and creaked some but that is normal for an old man according to my wife. I tell her it is my first crack at being old so I don't know how it is suppose to feel. My hearing and smell are still good, eyesight well I still see what I want to see. I do tend to think twice before jumping off the back of the pickup, actually I think twice about how I can do things a little slower and safer. Yesterday I went fishing with the youngest daughter and I let her do just about everything, I played the "Getting old card" with her.

I had it penciled on the calendar that we were going to go fishing, I can go anytime but the daughter has to have a day off from work. There is a small bass lake about four microwave towers away from the cabin that has gin clear waters and the bite only seems to be good in the fall. I mentioned the lake and the daughter said she had the same lake in mind. We have not been there for three years so when we arrived we were disappointed to find the landing washed out. Not really a landing just a spot along the road where someone daring at one time backed up a trailer down a very steep hill and got into the water. The only way you launch from this spot is to carry a boat down to the water or have a four wheel drive. Even with the Tahoe I was not going to risk launching as the big hole in the side of the hill looked like a trailer axle breaker.

So we turned around and went to another lake, one thing we don't have is a lack of is lakes around Lake Iwanttobethere. All I had to do is back the trailer into the water and the daughter took care of the rest, except this time we had a little problem. I backed into the lake and the daughter went to push the Puddle Humper off the trailer and it moved a few feet and it stopped. I yelled out the truck window at her "You took the straps off, right?" She nodded her head and again tried to push the boat off. She yelled at me to pull back out and I did. I got out of the truck to find her hands on her hips looking at the back of the Puddle Humper. Normally when you see a woman with her hands on her hips staring at something something is or is going to be in trouble. I came around to the back of the boat to find the motor support still attached to the boat, the reason the boat stayed on the trailer.

With the support removed I backed in the water but not till I asked her if she put the plug in. We then went fishing, I did make a point to mentioned to her several times how I have never forgotten to take the support off the motor. Fishing was a little slow, it was very windy, I had to keep my head down because the wind was strong enough it would catch the bill of my hat and take it off my head. But it was warm out which makes a wind bearable to fish in. We caught a lot of northerns which on this lake there is an ample supply of and some bass also fell for our spinner baits. A couple of seventeen inchers came over the side and a couple more maybe a tad bigger I lost. Both of them came rocketing out of the water a couple of feet before doing a twisting dive back into the water with my lure now clear of their mouth. We were hoping for the wind to die at sundown but it didn't. We worked a shoreline back to the landing and suddenly the daughter starting catching fish. She was having fun till I reminded her that she had to put the boat back on the trailer.

With enough light to still see by we loaded the boat and secured the gear. Made the walk around picking off weeds and brought the cooler in the front seat with us. As we drove down the dirt trail we ate sandwiches and drank a pop, didn't have time to do that when we were fishing. Had to stop and wait for a deer to cross in front of us and then I watched as the daughter lit up a cigar for me and passed it over. I was thinking that our fishing trip was a lot like what we did when she was eight and started going on fishing trips alone with me, except for the lighting my cigar part, here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
SUMMER IS GOING to hang around for awhile yet here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Sunshine Ray has come out with his forecast calling for sunshine and some rain later in the week but today the wind is going to be a problem. Already this morning the wind chimes out on the deck are banging away and by later this afternoon we should see twenty to twenty-five mile an hour winds. I have penciled in on the calendar to go fishing this afternoon but launching the Puddle Humper alone in strong winds is not high on my list of fun things to do. I will instead spend the time working on some projects that I can then check off the Honey DO List.

Have already walked the gardens here and my pumpkin is looking good, I am trying to grow just one big one this year and so far so good. Beans need to be picked again and tomorrow I will have to bag up some more cherry tomatoes. My garden crop of sweet corn is ripe for the picking and a few ears found their way into the kitchen. Supper tonight will be fried fish and American fries with garden onions and some sweet corn, a garden salad of home grown lettuce, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and cucumbers. I think the wife will be baking today so some rolls may be in the mix slathered in butter from Old McDonnell's farm. Won't be long and I will be picking apples for pie which would have tasted just fine for desert tonight.

Grass needs to be mowed yet again, this heavy dew every morning is taking the place of me having to do any watering. Leaves on the Maple trees are starting to have that little wilting look to them and the other day when I went fishing I notice the Popple was turning just a little brown. Away from the lake we have had a few light frost nights and that is turning the tall grass a lighter shade of green. Bird season starts this weekend and I am sure there will be guys out just because it is the first weekend. A few dumb birds will be shot but it is real thick and real green on my trails here. My neighbor Chuck was out this past week with his brush mower on the tractor and he mowed the trails that he has been building the past few years. Lot of water in the woods but he didn't see a bird and he has been keeping an eye on a couple of coveys this summer. I told him the birds all flew over to my property and Duncan's ears perked up at that.

Geese are on the move and I am getting some birds moving around on my end of the lake. Not many ducks though I noticed. On my bay the loon is only here part time, he must be courting a future girlfriend the next bay over. Lots of dragonflies, they seem to have replaced the ton of bees that were here most of the summer and we are getting daily visits in the afternoon by a couple of hummingbirds. Duncan has been on the deck a few times when the hummingbirds come to visit the potted flowers and he just cocks his head and watches as they hover and move from plant to plant before zipping away.

One more soccer game to attend, tomorrow will be the final and their last chance to win a game. They lost yet again last night and I think the parents are more bummed then the kids are. Of course last night was their Pizza Party night at Del's Pizza and Sub Shop in town and they looked happy after the game knowing pizza was waiting for them. The granddaughter is already asking her ma about playing again next season. Just about time to go to the fall to do list, not many things were checked off the summer list. This summer went by way too fast and I don't even want to think about winter and snow and hauling in wood. I just hope summer makes a real effort in hanging around here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
SOCCER SEASON HAS come to an end here at Lake Iwanttobethere at least for the eight year old granddaughter. The other night was the last game and I sat on the sideline and watched in a tee shirt and shorts. Ten games and ten nice nights, what are the odds of that happening this time of the year. Yesterday I woke up to the sound of thunder directly outside of my bedroom window, at least it sure seemed like that. I listen for awhile and rolled over and went back to sleep. About a half hour later I woke up again and this time the sound of the heavy rain woke me up. I laid in bed figuring I would go back to sleep when the storm passed but it kept raining and the thunder sounded like it was getting closer. I must have dozed off again as when Duncan came in to wake me up it was done raining.

I let Duncan outside and I followed him down off the deck into the yard. I made squishing sounds as I walked on the soaked grass and I checked the rain gage. Inch of a half of rain had fallen, doing the math in my head that comes out to about six inches of new grass. I had it penciled in on my calendar to power wash the big deck when I got a rain day so this qualifies. I cleared off the deck of planters and furniture after breakfast and took out the power washer and went to work. About halfway through it started to drizzle and the wife came out to tell me it was raining and I should come in. A guy would figure it out real quick that I was going to get wet no matter what I did power washing so a little rain was not going to make much of a difference. It was warm out so I took my already half wet shirt off and tossed it at her. I got that LOOK from her and she went back inside the cabin.

With the big deck cleaned I moved on to the small front deck and as long as I had the power washer out it seemed I found an endless supply of things to wash off. Planters and plastic furniture, swing set seats the rims on the Puddle Humper's trailer. I was eyeing Duncan but he kept his distance preferring to just stand under the eves and let the rain drip on him, he is a lab after all. Started to rain a little harder so I figured I had done enough and put the power washer away and went and took a shower. Makes sense I had been wet for a couple of hours I might as well get clean now. Duncan came in the cabin and just shook, he then went and sat on the couch because the wife was in the kitchen. I headed to the shower and Duncan had that look on his face of why would you take a shower when you can just sit on a nice dry couch blanket. I was in the shower for a minute or so before I could hear the wife yelling at the brown dog about just cleaning that cover.

Today the wife asked me if I was going to stain, I just gave her the LOOK and told her no, it has to dry for a couple of days, the deck that is. I may go fishing though, seems like a nice enough day for that here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
GRANDDAUGHTER SPEND THE night here last night, her and the wife had to get up early this morning to hit a mess of rummage sales on the lake. I woke up to the smell of blueberry waffles and I followed my nose to the kitchen just in time to look out the window and see the wife close the door of the Jeep and head down the driveway. I looked for my waffles but found nothing but an empty mixing bowl in the sink and a empty plate on the table and Duncan sitting looking guilty alongside. He might have gotten away with it till I saw him lick his lips. I gave him a look and then told him I would have shared you know.

I was out checking the big deck and it looks pretty dry, no dew on it this morning but I know it is still to damp to stain. I checked in the wood shop for some sandpaper to ruff up a few spots on the deck and found just and empty sleeve of where the heavy grit paper should have been. I then remember I had borrowed Chuck some paper and had forgotten to replace it. Looks like a trip into town was needed. Duncan figuring he was off the hook for eating my waffles was back at my side and as I walked to the Tahoe he went to the old Dodge. "Good Idea" I said out loud, I have not driven the Dodge for a long time and I should put some of that cheap gas in it. I open the driver's door and it made a loud creaking sound, made a mental note to oil the hinges later. Duncan hopped right in and sat down on the passenger side. I had to slide across the bench seat and roll the window down for him, no power windows in the Dodge.

The old truck started right up and I let it idle for a minute or so, Soon as the smoke cleared from behind us I put it in gear and we rolled down the driveway at a grouse hunter's pace. Was not in any kind of hurry so we took our time going to town. We took in the sights and waved at a few people heading the other way. Mostly grouse hunters hauling trailers with atv's in them. I did see one pontoon boat on the road, I am betting it was already on its way to storage somewhere. First stop was the Gas N Go where I put twenty bucks in the tank and probably got three gallons more for my money then what I did a few months ago. Next stop was Big Earl's General Store and of course Big Earl greeted me and Duncan at the front door.

Big Earl in his booming voice asked Duncan why he was not out bird hunting and I swear Duncan gave me a side look and shook his head at Big Earl. Earl chuckled a little and looked at me and I just told him "To Green Out" Earl nodded in agreement and I headed inside and got my sandpaper and I saw some twenty gage eight shot on sale sitting on the counter right next to the cash register.. I had Barb ring me up a box along with the sandpaper and I looked down to see Duncan wagging his tail. Back in the Dodge I drove down Main Street past the town square where I spotted a bunch of old guys sitting on them canvas pop up chairs in a circle. I saw Elmer was one of the old guys so I pulled in and parked the old Dodge next to an even older Dodge. I got out and a older guy told me the parking was reserved for "Classic Collector Trucks" I patted the old red Dodge on the hood as told the old guy "She is old and she is number one in my collection of one"

The old guy was about to say something when Duncan stuck his head out my driver's window and gave the guy a big lick on the side of his face. The old guy turned and I heard him say "Well hello there fella" and gave Duncan a good rub. Then I heard the old guy say, "You can stay" I walked away heading for Elmer and I heard the old guy sweet talking Duncan asking him why he was not out bird hunting today, I thought I heard Duncan give a heavy sigh. I don't what I am going to do the rest of today but I have a feeling I am going to have to take Duncan for a walk on the old back trail back at the cabin. Of course I will have to bring the single shot along with, just in case we see a bird or two here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
TOOK A WALK late yesterday afternoon. After I got back from town I did some sanding on the big deck and it was in better shape then I had first thought. Duncan was on the deck with me laying on his side watching me work with one eye open and the other eye closed. He only moved when I told him he had to get out of the way. The wife was back from her rummage sales with a couple of boxes of stuff I am sure we didn't need but yet we had to have because it was too cheap to pass on. Excuse me, to good of a deal to pass up on. As I worked on the deck she was inside canning tomatoes from the garden and had already made a few trips out to gather more. We have had a real good season in the garden as now in the past few weeks everything is ripening and we have restocked the cupboards with tomatoes and beans and peas. Sweet corn is ripe and there is so much we have been giving away some ears, I think I have just about eaten my fill.

Chuck came over with a bag of apples for the wife, his wife visited their uncle who has an orchard. She brought home three hundred pounds of apples and has been busy making applesauce and apple crisp and Chuck is brewing ten gallons of apple wine. He will be making ten gallons of Hard apple cider later. I gave him some tobacco leaf to try and we sat at the deck table that is now in the yard and rolled a few cigarettes to try out the leaf. He had to get back to work, He brought the apples over as an excuse to get in a break and I told him I to had to get back to the deck. I looked at the deck and where the sun was in the sky and the brown dog who was watching me and decided maybe I was done for the day and me and the dog should go take a walk.

I went in the cabin and open the closet and slipped on my orange bird vest. With Duncan at my side he followed me into the den and when I stopped at the gun cabinet I now had his total attention. I open the door and could hear a thumping sound. Almost sounded like a helicopter overhead till I looked down and saw it was Duncan's tail hitting the floor, somebody was a little excited. I reached in and pocketed a couple of shells and pulled out the lightweight single shot twenty gage. I closed the cabinet door and looked down at Duncan and just said "Huntin" Duncan jumped up and in a sprint ran across the floor to the back door. He tried to stop but he was on one of the wife's throw rugs and riding it like magic carpet he slid past the door and into the kitchen. This brought a few yells from the wife who was moving jars from the sink to the stove.

By the time I reached the door he was out of the kitchen and we both got out before the wife could yell at either one of us any more. Duncan making sure I was with him checked once over his shoulder and took off at a sprint to the edge of the grass and the beginning of the trail. I walked over to the edge of the woods at a much more leisurely pace. I told Duncan to sit and he did, tail going back and forth and leaning forward looking at me and then back at the trail. I dropped a shell into the old single shot shotgun and snapped it closed with a loud click. I looked down at Duncan and just said "Find Em" and bird season stated for us here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
A RAIN DAY here on the hidden bay on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere. I am sitting in booth number one here in the main room at the Resort. Have not been here much the past few weeks as I have been busy at home and finally getting some fishing time on the water. I knew it was going to rain today as both Sunshine Ray and Stormy Clearweather had forecasted it. That and the fact that I saw the clouds coming in at sunset last night. I brought Duncan up with me and he is tucked under the table with his head resting on my foot. A small fire is burning in the potbelly stove, nothing big but big enough to take the chill out of the room. In front of me I have my laptop and a saucer and fork that held a generous portion of cake that was filled with cherries. Vic asked me if I wanted to try some and he had me as soon as he said there was cherries in it.

A peel of thunder just shook the place a little, not really but it was close enough and loud enough that one could think that. Has been raining most of the morning and Vic said he was watching the TV and it is suppose to continue well into the afternoon. I am of the opinion that I can sit here and watch it rain almost as comfortable as I can at home. Water drops chase each other down the glass and just a little wind is stirring the tree tops here. I can hear water coming off the roof and splashing on the outside deck. Wind chimes bang softly and I can hear the compressor for the cooler behind the bar in the background.

Vic sat down for a spell and we chatted some, I just now pulled the laptop back into reach and I am sitting with a frosted mug of Hamms close at hand. It is after all now after noon. I am thinking it is a good time to lit up a cigar and I ask Vic if he wants to join me. He says no he is watching the oven for Marv who has some cinnamon rolls baking. I leave the table and Duncan follows me. I walk into the Bait Room and leave the sound of the compressor behind me only to replace the background noise with that of bubbling minnow tanks. I walk over to the screen door and put flame to my cigar and blow a ring out through the screen into the falling rain. The ring does not stay together as the rain quickly breaks it apart. Right on time a flash of lightning makes me blink and a crack of thunder presses against my chest. Duncan leans a little harder into my knee and I say out loud to no one "That was close"

I walk around the Bait Room taking a mental inventory. Peg hooks are getting bare as we don't really stock much after the Fourth. Summer I am afraid is leaving us and Fall is getting here. On my drive in this morning I saw leaves were starting to change a little color, losing that deep rich green and getting a little brown. I didn't see any boats on Lake Iwanttobethere this morning, could be they were listening to the weather forecast. Not any pickup trucks blocking tote roads either, no grouse hunters were out in the falling rain. My nose twitches some as I catch a whiff of Marv's cinnamon rolls. I hear Duncan whining and I look over to see him sitting by the screen door. He has me well trained as I walk over to the door and open it for him. He runs out in the rain and disappears from sight around the corner. I stand at the door tugging on my cigar some till he reappears and sits outside in the rain looking back at me. His eyes and wagging tail tell me he is telling me that it is just a little rain and I should come out and play. My nose tells me that Marv's cinnamon buns are done, what should I do here at Lake Iwanttobethere {97,758}
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
THIS MORNING FINDS me once again sitting in booth number one here at the Resort. I just finished eating breakfast and I am waiting for the newspaper to dry out enough to read it with out tearing the pages. The rain has not let up since I came to the Resort yesterday morning, By the rain gage we have received a little over three and a half inches in the past twenty-four hours. A fire is burning in the potbelly stove and it is needed now to dry off jackets that are hanging over the back of wood chairs facing the stove. Even Duncan has left my side preferring the warm wood floor by the stove to my damp shoe. I was thinking about my football playing days back in the days. I seem to do that more and more as I get older. Not because I want to remember playing football but this kind of weather wakes up my knees and they are talking to me about how much abuse I put them through playing football and basketball when I was young.

I am minding the place as Vic went out in the boat to pick up the paper and mail and got a little damp. He is back in his caretaker apartment taking a shower and warming up. Marv is in the kitchen baking some apple pies this morning. A couple of the FELLOWS were out riding their ATV's in the rain yesterday and one of them, they won't say which hit an apple tree and shook down a mess of apples. They picked up the apples and brought them to Marv, he promised them a single pie in return, the rest of the pies will be for us guys. I was hoping the rain would stop so Duncan and I can go take a walk and maybe scare up a grouse or two. I brought the single shot with me and hid it in the back of the Tahoe when Duncan was not around. The other day when the two of us went out for a walk behind the cabin that is all it ended up being, just a walk. We didn't see or hear anything but it was good to get out.

Yesterday afternoon I did spend time in the wood shop here. I started a fire in the stove out there and fed it wood scraps for most of the afternoon. Mainly I just spent the time putting things away and going through some wood, sorting it. Guys who do wood working for a hobby tend to be wood pack rats. I don't see wood laying around as being wood but part of a future project that I have not yet started. Scraps that get burned are first analyze to be sure that they can't be reused or combined to make something else. They are then set aside to be checked once again later, after a few times of being picked up and looked at then they finally make it to the burn box. Even then before they go into the stove they are given one more look then tossed into the fire.

Firewood is kind of the same thing when that stick or chunk of wood finally goes into the wood stove it has been handled several times. Off the top of my head I can remember wood that I dropped as a tree onto the ground, cut into a length I could handle and put into the back of the old Dodge and then brought to the cabin where it is dropped back on the ground. It is then cut in to stove length and then split. The pieces then go into a wheel barrow and get hauled to the wood lean to where they are stacked. Months later they are back in the wheel barrow and hauled to the deck and stacked again in the wood rack or maybe they get hauled right into the cabin and put in the wood box. The next to the last touch is when they are put in the fire to be shoveled out as ash later and stored in a metal garbage can. Come Spring the ash is spread in the garden and finally I am done with that stick of wood. Makes me tired just thinking all of the work that is done just so Duncan can lay on the warm floor here on a rainy day at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
THINKING OF GETTING the ARK plans out! This morning I woke up to yet another morning of drizzle and fog. At least the deck looks good as I may be to blame for this inclement weather. The day before this wet spell arrived I did get both my front and back decks stained. All my deck furniture still rests in the yard that needs mowing as it has been to wet out to put things back where they belong. OK I was up at the RESORT for a few days but it rained up there to. As I write this the sun is hiding behind some low cover and it is just a bright spot in the sky. Trees are dripping and I thought about going in the garden but changed my mind. Tomatoes need to be picked and sweet corn is calling my name telling me I better harvest it.

I did read a book and caught up on some TV shows. The Puddle Humper is clean and waiting to get back on the water as I took the time to do some cleaning and sorting. Stormy Clearweather says the weather will warm up for a few days and things should dry out. But, and there is always that word, the rain is going to come back mid week. I should get a couple of days in fishing and I already have a couple of lakes penciled in on the calendar. Duncan and I have not taken a walk down the trail here at the cabin, way too wet and I don't care that he is a lab, I am not.

With no sunshine the greenhouse has been cool and it is not helping in the drying of my tobacco leaf out there. I just may have to turn the heat on a little early out there to help speed things along. Also will be time here soon to move the potted peppers in there and a couple of tomato plants that I have in planters. I did stop by the Lodge last night and checked my messages and work the bar for a few hours. Mostly I just sat and kept my ears open for talk of anyone doing any good grouse hunting or fishing. Common story from the grouse guys it is to green and too thick. Guys on ATV's are having fun playing in the mud telling the guys who walk as they hunt what they are missing. Guys who walk tell the ATV guys they are missing everything. Guys with dogs just smile and say nothing.

I did hear a little bit that some of the guys who have been fishing Mystery River have been catching walleyes and the smallmouth have appeared. They were sitting by the fireplace and got quiet anytime someone was walking close. I being the bartender tend to disappear and they don't notice me when I bring them their drinks over and then linger a little while as I adjusted coasters. One of the benefits of being the bartender. Fishing was pretty good till the water started rising and now the trail along the river is slippery or under water. The word is that when the water goes down they will be back, I might just take a trip down there myself if I can find the time.

Number two granddaughter has joined the Girl Scouts, well actually the Brownies but I guess they lump them all together now. I do know that I have an inside source on cookies now and will no longer have to find some neighbor kid to get my case of cookies. Speaking of cookies I think I still have a box in the freezer at the Lodge, or I should have. I will have to stop by and see after I make a visit to Burt and Barts Barbershop. Saturday afternoons are not to busy there here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I'M GETTING OLD and so are you. Every day we are of course a day older and some say wiser but I am not so sure about that part. Today I had some free time on my hands and I was looking over the wife's Been There Done That magazine that she gets. I was reading the letters to the editor in the back and I came across one where a lady was complaining about a chicken laying farm just a few miles outside of town. Her complaint was the smell from the chickens, the story reminded me of an article I read about some city folk who had moved out to the country and were in the process of trying to get a ban on local farmers from raising cattle. You guessed right they could smell the cows when the wind was right. The farmers had been there for a hundred years or so but the new residents wanted them to move their operations because they could smell the manure, Thing is there was now more city folk living in the county and they had a good chance of actual getting a law passed.

I don't have any cows and I don't have any chickens either. My neighbor does and I never say no when he brings over a few eggs or if one of his chickens happens to leave a few behind in my yard I don't complain. They are free range chickens, something that a city folk person came up with to describe a chicken that does not live in a cage but wanders freely. Their eggs of course cost more to buy as they are Organic, another city word for something that does not have any thing that is not natural in it. Makes me smile when I see a free range chicken digging through manure.

I guess I eat a lot of Organic fish as I catch them in the local lake and they are not caged. I hunt Organic Deer and me and the brown dog also harvest Organic Grouse. There is another city word, Harvest. Actually I kind of like the word Harvest because I do a lot of that here. I harvest from my gardens and apple trees and I harvest fish and game from the country side around me. All Organic to, as everything is pretty much free range. Well not really free as I have to pay for licenses for just about everything I touch. Taxes, well that is another story that I won't even get in to.

I had a point to make when I started this story but I lost it, Some where in here I was going to write about maybe the old ways are better then the current ways, Opening doors for old ladies getting change the right way put back in your hands. Being able to walk in the woods with out a GPS to find your way or not hearing a phone ringing when you are in your deer stand. Being able to take your grand kids to a movie with out first having to check the rating. Ordering a burger that comes in a yellow wrapper that just says "Cheeseburger" not a yellow wrapper with a paragraph and half telling you what is really inside the wrapper. Onion rings that are really Onion rings not something minced and formed in a circle.

Clerks who wait on you and don't give you the impression that you are bothering them. Hearing people say please and thank you and flashing a smile for no reason at all. Seeing kids actually walking and not texting at the same time. High school seniors not wearing Letter jackets for perfect attendance or making the speech team. They say the Midwest is ten years behind the coasts and where I live we must be another twenty years behind that. Just nice from time to time to not be on the cutting edge. Smart phones, smart TV's no cash all debit cards. I for one would feel pretty stupid getting hit by a electric car because I could not hear it coming. Yup, I am getting old but then again I live here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
GOT A LOT on my plate today as I have so much to do I am just sitting here doing nothing. First thing this morning I ran into town and filled up the Tahoe at the Gas N Go and also bought a couple of gallons of gas for the garden tractor. Yard needs to get mowed and maybe today it will dry out enough that I can do it without sliding down the hill into the lake. After the Gas N Go I was off to see Dave and Dave and the drugstore and picked up some meds I had ordered and then over to Ma and Pa's Grocery for some thick cut bologna. I have this thought that I might go fishing this afternoon so that is the reason for the full tank of gas and lunch meat.

I figure I have till about noon to decide if I am going to go or not. I have a lake that is a little ways a way that I have not yet visited this season and it is on the list. But I just listen to Stormy Clearweather on KCUM radio and she is saying that tomorrow is going to be just like today so maybe I will fish tomorrow. Stormy is also forecasting our first frost tonight and time might be better spent tending to the garden. Yesterday I did put the deck back together, finally got the furniture back on and moved the grill and table. The big covered swing is the hardest thing to move as it seems to get heavier or I am just getting older. While I was moving stuff around I heard a shout coming from my neighbor's Chuck place and I hollered back, He hollered at me and I could not understand him so I took the trail over to his place.

I found him sitting on top of his wood shed where he stores his firewood. Seems that he thought it would be a good idea to climb up on the roof with a rake and clean off all the pine needles and forgot that once he was up on the roof he could not see his way back off of it. Seeing that he was in a predicament I leaned against a pine tree and offered suggestions on how he could get down. My first suggestion of just jumping was rejected as he is getting old and jumping is not something he does anymore. Falling off would also work but not something he wanted to do. I told him it is what, eight feet, and he replied that eight feet looking up is not the same as eight feet looking down. I offered to call the Lake Iwanttobethere volunteer fire dept. I am pretty sure I could call it in as a Jumper and they would bring over our state of the art rescue recovery system. Chuck nixed that idea to as he didn't want Old McDonnell to have to drive all the way over to his place with the hay wagon. Instead he offered the idea that maybe I could go around to the garage and bring the ladder over, so I did. Not as much fun as watching Chuck on the roof but I did have to get back to my place and finish hauling deck chairs.

At sundown last night I was in the greenhouse checking on my tobacco leaf and doing some rearranging. When I came out it felt like the temperature had dropped ten degrees since I went in. I made my way to the cabin under the light from the big super moon and thought Fall is coming quickly now. I stood on the deck for awhile admiring the stain job and noticing I had miss a spot under a railing or maybe it was just a shadow. Lights were on over at Elmer's place and I could see a wisp of smoke curling out of his chimney. With the moon in the background the cabin looked like one of them paintings you see them speed artist painting at the county fair. Only for me it was the real thing here on a Fall evening at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
THIS MORNING FINDS the red needle on the Bass thermometer hanging on the siding of the cabin resting at forty-seven degrees, almost balmy. That is when you compare it to the forty-nine degrees and North wind that I was fishing in last evening. I did go fishing yesterday afternoon as it was sunny out and not much wind when I started. I arrived at the lake to find a surprise at the landing. Someone must have gotten stuck and as I backed the trailer into the lake I didn't have to go in very far. The water is up, matter of fact it is the highest I have seen it in several years this late in the season. I put my knee boots on and went in to push the Puddle Humper off the trailer and stepped into a rut deep enough to cover the top off my boot. Having a wet leg was not how I wanted to start the day.

I was fishing in my Johnny Cash outfit as the wife calls it. I was all dressed in black as it is fall and I want to absorb as much heat from the sun as I can. Water was sixty-three degrees the same as the air temperature and I started down the shoreline tossing a buzz bait and waiting for a fish. It was over an hour before I had my first hit and I was beginning to wonder. I switched over to a spinnerbait and I was rewarded with a solid eighteen inch bass off a reed point. I stuck with the spinnerbait and started catching two and three pound northerns. Not what I was looking for but catching fish is always better then not catching fish.

I was not alone when I was fishing. I did not bring anyone to fish with me but I was being watched as I worked my way around the lake. A couple of ducks followed me for awhile and then they handed me off to red squirrel who kept pace with me as I went down a section of shoreline. A loon took over from there and watched me from a distance and I came up on where the eagle nest is and I was surprised no one was home. Another section of the lake has a lot of trees right down to the water's edge and it is quiet here. I could hear the tapping of a wood pecker making just enough noise to let his mate know he was hard at work. Another squirrel took over running the bank before handing me off to a couple of red winged black birds who were making a point of letting me know I was in their reed bed.
I hit a stretch of calm water and tossed a frog for awhile, no hits and I was a little surprised at that. Sun was getting a little lower and wind was coming up so I put on a black wind breaker. Now I had to deal with the sound of my arm making that whisking noise every time I turned the handle of my reel as it brushed against my chest. Couple of geese flew low overhead and honked at me. I think they were saying good-bye as they reached the shoreline and just kept flying. I hit one more reed bed that memory told me was good in the fall and I was rewarded with another eighteen inch fish. I put the scale to this one and it read three pound's four onces and I lowered it back it to the water and got splashed when I released it. Water felt a little colder as I grabbed a towel to wipe my glasses off and warm my hands some.

Little after six and I decided to call it a day, caught eleven fish and I was happy with that. With some daylight left I loaded the Puddle Humper on the trailer and avoided the ruts. Inside of the Tahoe was nice and warm as I had parked in the afternoon sunshine. I drove home with the radio on low keeping at eye out for deer at sunset. Good thing too as with the sun just about gone I came around a bend and a doe was standing in the left lane and her fawn was just getting ready to cross from the shoulder on the right. Doing fifty-five there was not much I could do but thread the needle between the two of them and in a split second they were both safe behind me. I said Woooo out loud, that was a close one here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
YESTERDAY MORNING WAS warmer then I thought it was going to be. I had gone fishing the night before so the first thing I did was put the Puddle Humpers trolling battery on the charger. Duncan was making the rounds with me as I checked the gardens for frost damage and looked for ice in the bird bath. The rest of the morning was spent doing chores around the place and checking off things on the Honey Do List. Sun was shinning but the wind came up and it never got warm enough to take the sweatshirt off and wearing gloves actually felt pretty good.

It was around three or so when I decided I had done enough work for the day and I went inside to trade shoes for hunting boots. Yesterday was the start of a new tradition for me as it was one year ago that I had to lay to rest my hunting partner Bud. He is buried under the maple tree in the yard alongside his brother Barney and his mother Sadie. I see the marker where he is every day and I still find myself thinking about him as Duncan has picked up some of his mannerism and still barks and greets Mark the mailman just like Bud did.

I was thinking about it during the day that I was going to go take Duncan out bird hunting no matter what the weather was as a tip of my cap to Bud. Duncan was out in the kitchen with the wife but as soon as he saw me wearing my huntin boots he knew something was up and his tail started wagging hard enough that he had to move his head in the other direction to stay standing upright. We went through the routine of getting the shotgun from the cabinet and putting on the vest. I checked for shells and tossed the brown paper bag lunch from the fridge into my game pouch. The wife didn't say anything as I went out the door, she misses the old dog as much as I do.

We didn't see a bird and it was OK we did have a good walk and Duncan hunted. I am pretty sure that Duncan did not care if I shot a bird or not he was having a good time just being able to walk down the trail and smell a hundred things that I can't. I must admit I did not think we would see any birds as the trees are still a ways away from changing color let alone dropping leaves. Wind was blowing strong and tree tops were swaying, noisy to as the leaves are starting to dry out and they make noise as the wind blows around them. Most of the time I carried the single shot twenty gage slung over my shoulder as I followed behind Duncan at a very comfortable slow walking pace. I did bring the gun off my shoulder when we got to where the lightning had taken the top off a big pine a few years ago. It was one of Bud's favorite spots and he kicked up many a bird from underneath the down tree top. Duncan moved in with tail up high and gave the tree top a good going over but no birds flew from its cover.

We moved on down the trail and took a side trail, normally we turn around here but today we were going to walk a little further. Duncan stopped and looked back at me and I told him like I told Bud so many times "Find Em" and Duncan kind of nodded and turn back to the trail. Time for a break and we both sat, me on a old stump and Duncan at my side. I dug the brown bag lunch out and Duncan stuck his nose in the bag to see if there was something in there for him. I gave him part of my bologna sandwich and he licked his lips waiting for some more. Instead I gave him a pat on his head and he laid down on the ground alongside of me. I sipped on some water and ate an apple and when I was done Duncan stood up and started talking to me. Low growls, yawning and whining and since I speak Lab I knew he wanted to get going and so we did.

We stepped out of the woods and back onto the grass of the yard and Duncan made a beeline for the cabin. I followed but not till I made a detour to Bud's grave. In the fading light of day I came around the big maple to see a grouse standing right on top of Bud's marker. I could have shot it but I think the sight of Bud with a bird was a better memory for me here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
HIGH NOON ON a Fall Saturday here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Been a busy week as I did get in an afternoon of fishing and not one but two trips out bird hunting. I caught some fish but didn't see any birds. Yard got mowed and the wife canned some more tomatoes. My one lonely pumpkin is still alive but I think the peas and beans are done for. The granddaughter, number two will be coming over this afternoon and I will put her to work digging potatoes. I actually have her fooled into thinking that is something fun to do. Batteries are charged and the gas tank is full in the Puddle Humper. If Sunshine Ray's forecast pans out I should be going fishing on Monday afternoon. Highs should be in the middle sixties but more importantly the wind will be just a slight breeze from the South. Duncan would say that it would be a good bird hunting day but he is a brown dog, what does he know.

Lodge meeting was last Tuesday night and I have been so busy with other things I forgot to mention it. Typical meeting for Fall as we talked about locker fees in the basement and the Fall Skeet league. .As a special treat for all the guys Gus baked up some Bourbon apple pies, and as soon as the guys found out there was Bourbon in the pie they started ordering doubles. As a matter of fact I am in the Lodge this morning working the bar and tending to the needs of the Ladies Auxiliary that are still in their meeting in the small meeting room. I have not seen them for awhile since Denise came and got a pot of water for their tea. I am having a hard time with the glare coming off the bar and shinning on my laptop. I am not the best typer and I seem to be a letter off on some of my words.

Elmer and Marv are both here sitting on the wicker couch in front of the old TV. I heard them yacking at each other a while ago as one was telling the other just to tap it, did you tap it, of course I tapped it. If it don't work pretty soon I am going to give it a good rap or two. I would tap it again before you go and rap it, usually a rap is to hard as I have seen you rap it before. I went around the bar and walked over to the TV and gave it a good smack on the side.... The picture cleared and a football game appeared. Marv said to Elmer, "Now that is how you rap it!" I shook my head at both of them and pointed at the big screen TV, they both shook their heads at the same time and I knew what they were going to say, They would rather watch the game in black and white, easier to separate the teams. I went back to the bar before they could say anything.

The place is quiet, a couple of the FELLOWS are sitting at the big round table and I asked where the other guys were and they told me they were all working their part time jobs. Hammering Hank and Skinny were here just long enough to fill up their thermos as they were heading out to pull up docks. Honey Sauce was down in the basement washing table cloths and Vinnie was filling up ketsup bottles, one at a time. I had the big drapes open and sunshine was warming the place up. I looked down at the lake and could see a couple of boats off Root Beer Island, fishing for crappies. A couple of campers down at the campground and empty trailers. No doubt they hauled in some ATV's and they were grouse hunters. I am done at two here and I will take my time going back home, There is a road that I want to take a look at and since I have my twenty gage hidden in the back of the Tahoe it might be a good afternoon for a short walk, There is always the chance that the brown dog may just be right here at Lake Iwanttobethere.
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
DUNCAN WAS STANDING on a chair looking out the kitchen window and I could hear him whining. I had it penciled in that I was going to go fishing yesterday and when noon came it was a go for launch. Sun was shinning in an almost cloudless sky and the jumping bass thermometer hanging on the cabin wall was nudging seventy. Duncan wanted to go with but he always does. With the brown bag lunch in the cooler I was rolling down the driveway with the Puddle Humper in tow. I had the driver's window rolled down and a cigar burning in my right hand as I watched the digital temperature meter on the Tahoe's rear view mirror tick downward. This was not good as I had gone from seventy to sixty-five in just a few miles.

I was headed to a small lake a few microwave towers away from the cabin. A pretty good little bass lake and not a lot of northerns. I was looking to catch a few fish for the pan and this usually is a good place to go to. As I drove I thought about fishing and was trying to think why I had not visited this little lake this summer. Then I saw traffic backed up ahead of me and I remembered why, road work. Six miles of orange cones and a narrow path between them. The driver in the truck in front of me liked to tap his brakes all the time which of course made me do the same thing. I finally cleared the orange barrels and put the Tahoe in to cruise and got to look around me. Leaves are yellow out this way and a few red Maples are mixed in. Been a week since I was out this way and the cool nights and shorter days are working hard to make Fall look like it is really here.

A couple of turns and a few passed towers and I turned off the black top to a gravel road and it meander through yellow leaves to the public access. A car was parked there and two guys holding guns were watching me as I drove up. One of the guys spoke and said "A nice day for fishing" and I replied "A nice day for hunting" As I jockeyed the trailer around the two guys went across the road and took a trail that I know leads back to another lake. A nice long walk was ahead of them as I have hunted it before. I got out of the Tahoe and the first thing I noticed it was windy, I mean WINDY. Not right there at the landing as I was on the lee side of the lake but as I looked up I could see tree tops swaying and you could hear that rushing roaring sound of wind going through leaves. It felt cooler to as I launched the Puddle Humper and parked the Tahoe.

I didn't get too far away from shore before the wind caught me. Graph was telling me the water was sixty so that has gotten cooler then when I was last out. I put on a wind breaker over my heavy sweat shirt and started working the down reeds with a buzz bait. A couple of hits but no fish and I was on the move. I ran the boat over to the wind swept shoreline and putting the wind at my back I let it push me down the shore. The little lake always has had a good dock bite except I had a problem there as just about all the docks were sitting up on the shore. I switched over to a spinner bait and slow rolled it over the top of the dying weeds. I ducked into a little protected bay and ate a sandwich and planned my next move. The shore I wanted to fish was getting pounded by waves and I didn't really want to go there and fight that. I was thinking of calling it a day when a northern hit my spinner bait right at the boat and we had a brief tussle. The northern lost as I brought him over the side of the Puddle Humper and unhooked him. He went back into the water and I dried my cold wet hands with a towel.

At least I was not skunked I thought as I started the outboard with the idea of hitting some slack water behind an island that is on the way back to the landing. I pulled in behind the island out of the waves and tossed the spinner bait back out into the chop. Third turn of the handle and I had a fish on, a few seconds later the fish was in the live well and I am thinking with a lot of potatoes it could be big enough for a meal. A few minutes later a second fish was swimming alongside the first and now I don't need to peel so many potatoes. That was that, I headed to the landing and arrived at the same time as the guys hunting grouse arrived at their car. We exchanged HIYA's and I told them I caught two fish and they said they missed two birds. They said they should have gone fishing and I thought that the brown dog at home is thinking I should have gone hunting here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
GOOD DAY TO go fishing, but then this time of the year everyday is a good day to go fishing. Matter of fact on my secret calendar I have everyday penciled in to go fishing or bird hunting. Of course this calendar conflicts with the Honey Do List calendar that the wife watches. It is a good day to go fishing except it is drizzling some here and Sunshine Ray is forecasting a seventy plus degree day on Sunday, for sure that will be a fishing day. Yesterday I was busy all day but now that I am trying to remember what I did I can't. Lot of little stuff where you set off to do one thing and get distracted doing something else.

I did spend time in the greenhouse as I had gone to town and went to the General Store. Big Earl had my order of special totes with locking lids that I had ordered to store my tobacco leaf in. They are special because they have a seal around the top which I need to store the leaf at just the right moisture content. I brought them home and stacked them in the den and loaded them up with hands of leaf that are ready to be aged and forgotten about. I had to go looking for Big Earl as he was not at the front door of the store but was back at the loading dock unloading a wagon of straw bales that Old McDonnell and brought to him. That time of the year when straw bales are popular with the ladies to do Halloween decorating. I had a clue that was where Big Earl was when I saw a guy trying to put a black plastic bag over a bay of straw on the sidewalk. His wife was watching and I over heard her making comments about how messy the straw was and they needed to put it in a bag. When he was done he tossed the now bagged bale of straw into the back of his pickup truck and just gave me a look and I shrugged my shoulders in return.

Part of my afternoon was spent looking for my wet and dry vac, my neighbor Chuck needed to borrow it. He had a little excitement over at his place. His wife has been doing a lot of canning and going through a lot of dish washing lotion that they have in one of them built in sink dispensers. Well to make a long story short yesterday she went to fill the dispenser with soap not knowing that the bottle had fallen off the spout under the sink. She had one of them big gallon jugs that you buy in the big city and was wondering why it was taking so much soap to fill the dispenser. That is when she noticed the soap oozing out from under the bottom of the cabinet door onto the floor. In a panic she yanked at the dispenser under the sink and somehow managed to dislodge the hot water line. By the time Chuck got into the cabin the kitchen now looked like an episode of I Love Lucy. Chuck needed the vac to clean up.

It did rain overnight and knowing that it was going to happen I did spend time in the garden late in the afternoon digging up more potatoes. Duncan was there to help me or so I thought. Most of the time he just laid on the ground and watched me dig potatoes and occasionally he would scratch at the dirt telling me I was missing one. I had a box that I was putting the tatters in and I was trying to get him to pick up the spuds and drop them into the box. It would be a great help if I could get him to do it and dang if he didn't start doing it. The wife came out to check on progress and I leaned on my fork and proudly pointed out the new trick that I had taught the brown dog. The wife then asked me why there was a pile of potatoes on the deck. Seems that not all the potatoes were going in the box and Duncan was storing his own here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
SOMETIME YESTERDAY FALL arrived here at Lake Iwanttobethere, I know the calendar says it has been here for a while but... I ran into town yesterday afternoon and the first sign that Fall was officially here was at the end of my driveway, it was covered in pine needles. I made the turn to head to town and the young maple tree had green lower leafs but the top was red, another sign. On the way in I could see the waters of the lake as leafs have fallen from trees and now cabins along the shore are visible. Pontoons pulled up and covered in blue tarps and docks stacked in piles. I even saw a lady out raking leaves, I don't know why. She must be new here and has know idea what is yet to come.

The day was damp and I came on a stretch of gravel road and spotted Frank the plow driver in his grader coming my way. I slowed down some and watched as he had the blade down and was moving more yellow leaves then gravel alongside the shoulder. Should have had my camera with as the big yellow grader was almost invisible against the backdrop of yellow leaves on the ground and still in the trees. I gave him a wave and he gave me a nod of his head in return. Next sign of Fall was just around the corner as I came around to find a little SUV parked in the middle of the road and a couple with a camera standing in the road taking pictures, The LEAFERS have arrived, that is what we call the tourist who come to the lake to take pictures this time of the year.

I was on my way to the General Store to see Big Earl once again. I had ordered a new ceiling light for the kitchen and it was in. The project for the day was to get the light installed and what should be a quick job will no doubt turn into an adventure. Did I mention that the wife does not want a new light but wants me to fix the old one? I picked up the light and decided I would stop at the Lodge and check in. I parked out back and entered through the side door to find the place quiet. A couple of people sitting near the window looking at the back of a camera with empty chili bowls and half drank beers in front of them, LEAFERS.

Gus was behind the bar wiping down some square bottom beer mugs and when I came in he looked over the top of his glasses and said HIYA. I returned the greeting and sat down on a stool. The mail was sitting on the bar and Gus pushed a small pile of it in my direction. Gus looked at me and asked "Beer" I nodded my head yes but told him just a small draft. Gus then stood up and made a grand gesture like he was a model on the Price is Right and said "Foreign or Domestic" I looked at him like he had lost it and said "What are you talking about" Gus told me he was rotating beer in the cooler and found a six pack of Molson's, he has no clue where it came from or how old it is but can't sell it if no one knows about it. He then pulled up the six pack missing two cans from behind the counter. "Sold two eh!" Gus nodded and pointed over at the LEAFERS sitting by the window.

The installation of the ceiling light was not a big deal, it was about as bad as I thought it was going to be. Of course I was just about done when the wife told me she wanted it in a different place but that was not going to happen. I later heard her on the phone talking to her mother that the light is now so bright in the kitchen she will no longer have to go outside for her vitamin D. That put a smile on my face, maybe tomorrow I will put the bulbs that are supposed to be in it, in it here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
GOING TO TRY something today that I have not done in years. I am going to change the oil on the trucks when it is not a cold fall day. A little overcast out but there is a good chance that it is going to hit seventy out and that is outside! That is the plan, but most of my plans don’t always pan out. Yesterday I went into town to the recycle center and emptied my five gallon can of used oil, something I have been meaning to do for awhile. Can’t change oil unless I have someplace to put the old oil. Next stop was over to the General Store for three jugs of oil and some filters. A little sticker shock there as even though the price of gas has fallen the price of motor oil has stayed right up there.

When I was at the General Store I browsed the store some and back in the corner where Big Earl has his seasonal sales I checked out the new banner hanging from the ceiling. Bed, Bath and Bullets it said. I didn’t go and look I figured Big Earl was trying to get the lady hunters back there. I did buy a big bag of Halloween Kit Kat’s I figured that with all the crawling under the trucks I was going to be doing I should be properly rewarded. I also needed to refill the small cooler that I have in the Tahoe. I will say one nice thing about this fall weather and the cooler nights as I am back to hiding soda, Twinkies and Ding Dongs in the old cooler and they stay cold. I have to keep restocking as the number two granddaughter knows about my stash and if I don’t share she will tell Nana.

Speaking of the granddaughter her mother my daughter called me this morning with a small problem. She woke up this morning needing to feed her cat and could not find the bag of cat food that she knows she bought when shopping last night. She started back tracking where the cat food might be and figured it still must be in the car so she yelled at her husband to get out of bed and go get it. His reply was that he brought it in, no wait it is on the front porch. The daughter went to go out the front door and found four raccoons trying to drag the bag of cat food away. Dogs were called for and they raced out the front door to confront the bandits only to stop dead in their tracks when they saw they were out numbered. Son in law came outside to find out what all the racket was about as three raccoons created a diversion as the big one continued to tug at the bag. With the raccoons out number now they gave up on the bag and waddled now the street. The daughters dogs not chasing but barking what sounded like "And don’t come back"

They all returned inside the house with the bag of cat food to find the cat patiently waiting at his empty food bowl, typical cat. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer and may be the last time we see a seventy degree day for several months. I plan on going fishing with the youngest daughter. We may not catch any fish but sitting in the boat in tee shirts and shorts will be a nice way to close out the season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
RAIN IS ON its way here at Lake Iwanttobethere this morning, already a few drops have fallen. I know this as I was just outside putting the Puddle Humper battery on the charger. A pretty nice day to go fishing yesterday and seeing how it is the middle of October it might actually have been considered and excellent day except for the wind. But when the temperature is eight-four out a little wind is actually welcomed. Today the red needle is stuck on fifty-five, a big change from yesterday. Rain in the forecast and strong winds with gusts up to forty. If there are any leaves that are ready to let loose they will be coming down today. Already my deck has curled yellow leaves on it and when I was out hooking up the battery charger I put the small tarp on the Puddle Humper to keep some of the leaves off. Not ready yet to put the boat away as I see there is still a chance for a couple more sixty degree days and if it is sunny and not to much wind I may get the boat wet yet again.

I did get two out of three truck's oil changes in and I would have gotten all three if the wife had not taken the Jeep to town. She was running low on sugar and if I want apple pies.. Well I didn't say anything as she drove off, a good excuse not to crawl under the Jeep. Fishing was pretty good yesterday. My youngest daughter went and I like it when she goes as I don't get my feet wet. I have written before how she does all the work for me and as I was watching her load the Puddle Humper on the trailer last night I made the comment I should have taught her how to do this when she was ten. Three bass were caught along with nine northerns Even before we started fishing we had modest goals for the day. Not getting skunked was number one on the list but just being able to go fishing in tee shirt and shorts made the day before we even started. The shoreline around the lake was in full fall color and the daughter took pictures as we worked the dying reeds.

The daughter did lose a nice bass at the boat. She was fishing a Hula Popper and fought the fish right to the boat before it came undone. She had a few comments that I can't print here but let us say she was really into fishing at that moment. She has caught two twenty inch bass this year and this one she lost was not that big but pretty close. I did not make to many comments about her lost fish, I will save them for the middle of winter. I on the other hand landed my three bass and I was just about able to close out the night with another one. I had a decent bite and a good pull by a bass that came all the way to the boat only to open his mouth and let go off the five inch grub he had in his mouth before I could reach down and lip him. The daughter said nothing and I looked at her and the missing fish and we both laughed. I already know that she will be yanking my chain come the middle of winter about the fish I lost.

With the sun getting low we or I should say she, loaded the boat on the trailer and we headed home but not till we stopped at a Dairy Queen. The daughter bought me a cone and we sat in the parking lot and watched other trucks hauling boats drive thorough with the same idea we had. A nice way to end the day and maybe the fishing season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
THE DAYS ARE getting shorter as I don’t seem to have as much time as I need to do things around the cabin outside. Making that transition from summer to fall is always hard but I think the loss of daylight affects me the most. If I wait for things to warm up outside the day is almost done before I even start. Today I got out the leaf blower and tried to move some of the leaves away from around the Puddle Humper. I at least cleaned the carpet off and was glad I put the small tarp over the cockpit area. I could go ahead and start unloading it but I am holding out for maybe getting it wet one more time. I don’t know why I am holding out the last trip out with the daughter was on a tee shirt fishing day in October, they don’t come very often and I don’t think we are going to see another one this year.

Last of the tomatoes need to be picked and then I have to start emptying all the buckets of potting mix and put things in storage. Shop needs to be cleaned out and rearranged to make room for the thirty buckets and there must be at least another twenty planters. Pepper plants in pots will go into the greenhouse so I will get another month out of them before I have to pick. Carrots are still in the ground and I have a few rows of spuds to dig up. Everything needs to still be tilled and I am hoping I can hold on and get some leaves to mix in when I do it. Raspberries need to be cut back and strawberries covered. The more I keep typing the more work I keep making.

Then of course we are now getting into prime bird hunting here at the lake and that means we are done working by three so Duncan and I can get a few hours in the woods together. Yesterday was not a bird hunting day as the winds were rearranging the furniture on the deck and sending waves of leaves across my yard into Elmer’s. Some sun trying to break through now and things are drying up so I know Duncan and I will be taking a walk later this afternoon. The two of us have yet to see a bird but now with some leaves down I have a few places that are always good. I know we will be having some grouse for dinner sooner or later.

I did pick apples yesterday, the tree is full making up for last years lack of harvest. I think I had all of eight apples on the tree last year and the granddaughter named each one of them. This year the first thing I did was pick apples so we could have Deer pie. I refer to it as deer pie because I picked the apples that hang out over the fence and are the ones the deer come and eat first. This year I got to them before the deer could. Not to worry though there was several apples that I tossed over the fence that had fallen from the tree on to the ground. So far the wife has made up eight pies, I caught Elmer over yesterday trying to trade in a empty pie pan for a full one. He left empty handed but I am sure he will be back later and the wife will give him a pie.

I do see a lot of pies in my future though and apple sauce and of course the mother in law makes these little pastries filled with apple as long as I bring her the apples. With any luck supper later this week will be grouse breasts, home fries with garden onions and beans, fresh bread right out of the oven and maybe my neighbor Chuck will have some of his cider done by then. A jug will probably cost me a couple of pies but I am apple rich this year here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
END OF SUMMER budget report was delivered last night here at the cabin. In attendance was myself, the wife and the brown dog. I am happy report that we are showing a budget surplus at the end of the current fishing season. I was sitting at the table in the kitchen with an empty plate with just a few crumbs from a rather large slice of apple pie in front of me, The wife sipping from her tea cup looked over her glasses at me a few times and Duncan the brown dog laid at my feet giving me support. There were no major or for that matter minor expenditures on the Puddle Humper or on the trailer. Batteries, graph, tires and trolling motor have all been replaced in recent budgets and there was no need for any repairs or upgrades.

Fishing rods and reels were not a line item although I did take a hit on spinnerbaits this fall but their replacement will be addressed in next season budget. The Tahoe other then an oil change also was in the plus column as gas prices came down and stayed down. With all the rain of the past summer car washes were also with in budget. Number of fishing trips were down which was reflected in costs but that extra gas money savings has now been moved to the fall grouse hunting budget. A little extra was spent on pictures as the daughters two big bass were added to the den wall along with my neighbor Chuck's big northern.

The new roof on the boat house was brought up but I told the wife that did not come from the fishing budget but from the cabin maintenance budget, there was some objection there but she let it go. I merely pointed out that the expansion of the garden had come not from the garden budget but from the landscaping budget which she is the chair of. Freezer is not full of fish but there are several meals of fish that with a lot of potatoes will last well into winter. I also hope that a few grouse dinners will be had an if Edd and Eddie the squirrel's cousins keep hanging around there will be a nice squirrel stew on a Saturday afternoon here soon.

Some additional savings were made this year in the fact that I never had to use any hand warmers this fall nor did I use much bug spray. I dank more bottled water this season for some reason and the price of Kit Kats has remained the same. I ended the meeting making the point that being plus in the budget is bad as it means I did not fish enough and offered a resolution that I will try and be deep in the red next fishing season here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I WAS LAZY this morning as it got cold last night and the cabin was chilly this morning. I was lazy because instead of starting a fire I went over and turned on the furnace and let it warm up the place. First time this year so I was pretty happy about that. My neighbor Chuck is to blame as he told me yesterday he started a fire to warm his place up then had to spend most of the day outside as it was to hot inside. I was working outside myself and as I was taking a break I was thinking why wasn't I out fishing.. Then a gust of wind came up and it was a yellow out with leaves swirling around my head and I had the answer to my question.

Some off and on sprinkles yesterday as I took out the A/C from the window and put it in storage. Did some rearranging in the wood shop and stacked pots and planters from the gardens high up in the rafters. Last of the tomatoes were harvested and I found yet another bowl of beans on the dying vines. Garden needs to be pulled so I can till it but I still have potatoes to dig and carrots are still in the ground. Maybe I can get the granddaughter to finish up when she is here this weekend. There was some good news though as when I was outside in the late afternoon Duncan was acting a little antsy. I stopped what I was doing and followed him over to the back trail and I looked around and didn't see anything and told him that I needed to get back to work. I went to turn back to the yard and Duncan went into a point, something he does not do to often so I said "Go get him"

Duncan jumped into the brush and dang if a grouse didn't blow up from some leaves. In a whirl of wings and feathers and falling leaves I was startled like I always am when a grouse takes wing at my feet. I watched as the bird flew straight down the trail and landed not a nine iron shot away. Duncan gave me a "I told you so look" and I told him to "Stay" I walked back to the cabin and got the double from the cabinet, tossed a orange hat on my head and grabbed a couple of shells. The wife in the kitchen looked up at me and I just waved and told her "I don't have time to explain" I made my way out the door across the deck and on to the grass. Duncan was waiting for me right where I left him only he was facing the trail and not me.

I dropped the shells in and the click sounded loud when I snapped the breech closed. "GO Ahead" I said and I followed Duncan down the trail. A lot of leaves had fallen the last few days and the trail was quiet as our feet and paws walked on the damp leaves. I made a point of breathing through my nose taking in the earthy smell of the damp woods. About twenty yards from where I thought I saw the bird go down the bird hopped up into the air. I was expecting the shot and when the bird came up off the ground I was ready and sent a load of number 8's down the trail. A puff of feathers and the bird tumbled out of the sky and onto the leaf covered trail. Duncan was in pursuit, tail straight back and head tilted forward he raced to the spot and skidded to a stop. I was not too far behind him when the bird jumped up into the air again.

I was surprised at that and pulled the double back up on my shoulder and touched off the other barrel. This time a load of number 6's were on there way and connected with the bird before it could dip behind a birch at the edge of the trail. The bird fell doing a end over end tumble to the forest floor. I came up on Duncan and he was just standing there. Was a little strange till I saw he had a bird at his feet. I picked up that bird and said "Go find em" and he raced off to the second bird. A few seconds later he came back with bird number two in his mouth and I held the first bird in my hand. "Well that was fun " I said and from slightly behind me a third bird got up and Duncan and I both watched, I had brought only two shells with me here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
AT THE RESORT this morning, came up to watch the football game at noon as we have better reception up here. I did make a stop on the way as I drove over to Old McDonnell's farm in the Dodge. Duncan was riding shotgun and he reminded me of a young Bud as he sat on the passenger side of the bench seat watching the side of the road as we drove slow. No grouse out sunning themselves this morning but then again there was some traffic on the road as we came up on a few other grouse hunters. I gave either a nod of my head or a finger wave as we passed and Duncan would stand up on the seat to get a better look. When I left the cabin the jumping bass on the thermometer on the siding was pointing at forty-five, I don't think we are going to come any where close to the eighty-four of last Sunday.

Blue sky and not a cloud in sight, some wind but not much. The past couple of nights we have gotten our first real taste of colder weather. Lake Iwanttobethere has done her job keeping us warm but it was to much and the temperature has dipped into the twenties over night the past few nights. On the ride in to McDonnell's I was keeping an eye on the road and watching my side for any birds. Box Elder trees are all but bare of any leaves and the red maples are already losing color and leaves. Popple are dropping leaves for any reason and you can see a ways into the woods now. I picked up butter and milk and a couple of bales of straw for the garden at Old McDonnell's. I had to wait a couple of minutes for him as he was directing a young couple to his corn maze. Duncan was eyeing a chicken that was walking around till I told him NO and then he just came me a look like a little kid that was told he can't have any fun.

I came in the back way to the Resort and it was quiet, I was surprised no one was bird hunting on a nice day like today. I was driving slow and it was a good thing as out of no where two ATV's popped up from one side of the ditch onto the road, across and back down the ditch on the other side. I don't even think they saw me and the red Dodge. I stopped on the road where they had crossed and saw they were on a seldom used trail, don't know if they were just on a ride or were bird hunters. Told myself and Duncan that is why we drive slow so we can look out for ATV's and maybe a few grouse.

So now I am in booth number one here at the RESORT, the milk and butter is in the cooler and I have my laptop out jotting this down. Lot of leaves down here and they cover the deck and you have to brush them off the chairs before you sit down. Hammering Hank and Skinny have pulled up two of the docks and the rental boats are empty and laying upside down on the shore. Just the one dock out with Vic's boat tied up alongside. Should not be to long before that too will be put away as Mark the mailman and Jessie the paperboy will be done delivering by water. Another summer has come and gone here and the lemonade in my glass in front of me seems to be all that is left.

Football game starts in an hour, time enough to post this story and maybe Duncan and I will take a walk back by the big garden. Vic said he say a couple of grouse back there going through it. With the sun up high and no wind we just might be able to sneak up on them and maybe give Vic something to cook up for half-time. What, it could happen, we are after all here at Lake Iwanttobethere
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
CHANGE OF PLANS yesterday as I was going to take the Puddle Humper down to the car wash in town. By the time I got around to it the bass thermometer on the wall had climbed up to sixty-seven and there was not a breath of wind so I had a change of plans, I went fishing. One of those spur of the moment's decisions as I still had the boat loaded and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe and what the heck it was a nice day. I grabbed the brown bag lunch from the fridge and checked in the Tahoe to see that I still had a couple cans of soda and some Ding Dongs that the granddaughter had not eaten and I was on the road.

For some reason I decided to head north, normally I would head south as the days grow shorter that is where the water should be warmer. I had a cigar going and the window rolled down, the lake I had in mind is out of the way even for up here. I came off the black top with another ten miles of dirt road to drive on and the first thing I noticed was just about all the leaves are down. As I drove I was thinking I might have to come back up this way with the brown dog. Arrived at the lake and there was just a tad of wind and it was still in the upper sixties. Launched the Puddle Humper and turned on the graph, forty-eight degrees it said the water was, I would have liked it to be a little warmer.

Reeds are all dead and the shoreline is brown, no leaves on the trees but the evergreens were a deep rich green. I could hear the sound of logging going on somewhere over on the West side of the lake. Was not to long after that I saw an eighteen wheeler going down the road with a load of wood. This lake is small, less then two hundred acres and I have been fishing it for years. Was a real good bass lake but then the northern took over and now it is slowly coming back as a bass lake again. Goes to show you how old I am getting as I can remember the changes. I slowly work a shoreline tossing a big spinner bait with a five inch grub on it, looking for big fish not little ones. My first goal is to not get skunked but I have a few others. I was thinking I have been fishing this little hidden lake for more then thrifty years. Two of the guys I used to fish it a lot have past away so when I fish this little lake I think of them still sitting in the back.

I come around a little point and a half dozen geese get up, They are none too happy they did not hear me coming and they take to wing their honking echoing in the small lake making it sound like there are more of them then what there is. I grab the camera but they fly away from me not giving me a shot. I have been fishing just long enough to raise a doubt if I am going to get skunked when I set the hook. A bass hits the spinner bait like a freight train hitting a hay wagon at a road crossing. Not much doubt I have this one as I work the fish to the boat and lift her over the side. Her big eyes watch me as I weigh her and make her pose for a picture before sliding her back into the water. Nineteen and three quarter inches she was and I write it down in my little red fishing book. Doc and Jerry my fishing buddies would have been jealous that I am still catching fish on our little Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby Bass