Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Jiffy Auger Tuning Tips  (Read 24719 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
A few years ago I had 2 Jiffy augers that were "gently used", but needed some adjusting.  I borrowed this page after an extensive internet search.  (I'd gladly credit the author if I knew who it was) 

Jiffy Tuning Tips

Turn the mixtures screws in till they are lightly (not tight) seated and then count your turns out.

You can adjust your low speed mixture at home but to tweak the high speed mixture you'll need to test it under a load.

With most 2 stroke engines I like to start with a rich mixture and make my adjustments toward leaning it out. When I hit peak RPMs, I'll turn the mixture screw back out a hair,(around 1/4 turn) so I'm not running to lean.

Now its possible to have and auger that idles and runs great at higher RPMs but when cutting a hole the clutch starts to slip. That’s an indication your high speed mixture needs adjustment even though it runs good, your just not getting the RPMs to lock in the clutch

Its just one of those things your ear gets tuned to but I'll try and describe it. Make very small adjustments (1/8th turn).
You’re better off running on the rich side. For one it takes more gas to start a cold engine. Leaning the idle mixture down will only make it hard starting.

Turn the idle mixture screw out till the engine idle starts to slow down, note that position then turn the screw in till it starts to run smooth. Now turn the screw out till it the RPMs just start to come down, leave it there for now.
Like I said earlier you need to put a load on the engine to get the high speed mixture correct but for now get it to build RPMs nicely without a load. When you hit the throttle it should wind up right away with no hesitation, no bog and no popping. If it bogs your most likely to rich, if it pops your to lean. If it’s smoking like crazy with hesitation then eventually builds RPMs it’s too rich. Turning the mixture screws in (clockwise will lean it and of course out (counterclockwise will richen the mixture. I like to come in from a rich mix and hit top RPMs then back it out till it starts to drop.
Now get it on the ice and test drill. All your adjustments will be with the high speed mixture screw. When you get to where it should be you'll have no bog, popping or hesitation. You'll hear the governor kick in as you put more load to the engine almost like its shifting gears.
Remember its better to be rich then lean. The engine will last longer and start better when properly adjusted carb and for heaven sakes, it’s a 2 stroke so it’s going to smoke.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for this post Woody :happy1:

Offline Herm

• Outdoorsman
Jeff great post thanks for sharing!!

But remember its always iffy with a jiffy!
jk they are great augers

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah they are... The only way you'll get my 20+ yr old Jiffy 30 from me is to pry it from my cold dead hands! ;) (No disrespect meant to Chuck Heston ;D)  D-Rock's small engine department in New Brighton has tune up kits that are easy to do... thats the only thing Ive had to do to mine in all those years... (besides taking the old fuel out at the end of the season and putting a little sea foam through it once in a while) It comes with very simple directions, and very cheap! :happy1:  Thanks Woody, I think the High speed is a little off on mine, but once it warms up, that ole model 30 runs like a well oiled machine... wait.... it is a well oiled machine! ;D :whistling: :bonk:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I have a Jiffy 30 too.  Got it about the first year the yellow ones Legend came out.   Love it but I just can't help looking at those propane ones.  I have a 9" auger and it is the perfect size for me.  I saw a 9" propane one at FF for $497.  More than the wife said I can spend this year since I just bought a new gun.  And I don't really need it I just want it.  Then what to do with the old one too?  Thanks for the tip Wood.  Sometimes I have to spray lube on those rods under the motor or mine won't idle down correctly. 

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah the propane augers are cool... No petro smell on hands, no fumes, quiet.... Yeah what to do with the old auger... Jiffy museum?😆  Tuff to rid of the ole 30... Started on the first pull this year again... I also like the idea of a 20-25lb lithium batt powered auger except having to buy a $150 battery every few years... That and trying to just find one 15-20 yrs down the road..... Looked up when I got the old jiffy, had it just over 30 yrs now!  At what point does it become "vintage"?  You know like a nice old Fender Strat or Gibson les Paul?  Better start thinking restore... Like some rust oleum on the auger.... A bit of tlc eh?😉