Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: boat locators  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Spend the extra money Glenn. You will be glad you did. I had Lawrence 7" on my old boat and liked that one. I have Helix 9 on the nes boat and really like that too. I am starting to use the side imaging some. You will start to use it if you have it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Make sure you are getting at least a gen3 or a gen4 is even better.  In the last few years I have found myself using sidescan a lot more.   I run Helix 9s.  One is a gen 3 and the other two are gen4.  The side imaging on the gen4 is much more defined. 

I can find fish too!!!!!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Cabelas has a sale on right now that has some of the 7s and 5s at the same price with free shipping.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i'm thinkin guys!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender: :rotflmao: the last 24 hours thinkin i'll pass!!!!

if i do anything it might me the down imaging....and yea if i do pull the string it be the 7!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cabelas has a sale on right now that has some of the 7s and 5s at the same price with free shipping.
Scenic did you happen to check how long this sale is going on for????/

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
glenn-

It's been a while since I've searched for new sonar but from what I remember back when I was looking, Down Imaging (DI) is actually not that good...in fact, per my research, traditional 2D sonar was much better (much larger cone/view area). The problem with DI is that the cone (or lack thereof) is actually pathetically small compared to traditional 2D. The "only" thing DI gives is a pretty little pic of what's down there. To me, DI is all just a marketing scam. Learning to read 2D will be much more beneficial.

I'd spend (your money) on a much better 2D sonar with larger screen with no DI or get one with Side Imaging (SI). SI is very impressive and actually extremely beneficial for all types of fishing. I found soooo much structure with SI. It's absolutely fantastic for finding structure for walleyes and smallies, and great for finding schools of crappies. Obviously, the bigger the screen the better.

If I were you, I'd wait for pre-opener specials unless they are going on now. Lowrance was notorious for good deals come spring. Find a 7"+ SI unit. It doesn't need to be top-of-the-line.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: March 03/18/24, 02:02:31 PM by Pulleye16 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
did a little googling on cabelas site......Glenn and Sue are taking a road trip wed!!!!!!! :happy1:

only real decision is deciding on side or down imaging......maybe side might have the edge?????????????

on a side note......i grabbed a sales flyer from FF......they had them on sale..in the flyer.......but aint got SH!T on shelves...... :confused: :crazy: who woulda thunk. :doofus:
« Last Edit: March 03/18/24, 05:36:49 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Just seen this...3/27/24.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just seen this...3/27/24.
:happy1: headed down wed.....should make it in time!!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/18/24, 06:42:16 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have both Down imaging and side imaging on my Lowrance. Fun to explore with the side imaging.  You can see a lot more with it.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: This looks like a good deal to me, glenn. Especially, if you can get the $100 online rebate. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-7-chirp-gps-g4-fish-finder-chartplotter?COBRANDED=RUMBOES_AD They got a few in Rogers the way it looks. I, myself, would make a point to ask about the rebate though. https://assets.basspro.com/image/upload/v1707514557/PDFs/rebate/rebate_Humminbird_Boating_Feb_Mar.pdf
« Last Edit: March 03/19/24, 05:20:53 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: This looks like a good deal to me, glenn. Especially, if you can get the $100 online rebate. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-7-chirp-gps-g4-fish-finder-chartplotter?COBRANDED=RUMBOES_AD They got a few in Rogers the way it looks. I, myself, would make a point to ask about the rebate though. https://assets.basspro.com/image/upload/v1707514557/PDFs/rebate/rebate_Humminbird_Boating_Feb_Mar.pdf
:happy1: thats kinda  the one i was eyeballing yesterday when i looked at there website!!!! :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Isn't amazing how much technology you can get for a few hundred bucks these days!

Just think what the Navy was paying for that level detail and resolution for sonar and GPS and mapping technology just 30 to 40 years ago - literally millions and millions of dollars. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember years ago I got a Garmin that was my first color locator.  Man what a thrill that was to watch.  So much more fun to watch.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember years ago I got a Garmin that was my first color locator.  Man what a thrill that was to watch.  So much more fun to watch.
hell LPS, my first depth finder was a chunk of lead with a clip on the end you snapped on your hook and dropped it to the bottom......then did the arm length thing to figure out how deep it was!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and later in life they used them  for a roach clip!  :rolleyes: so i've been told!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet you appreciated a decent roach clip didn't you?   :sleazy:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Isn't amazing how much technology you can get for a few hundred bucks these days!

I bought SI the second year it came out...I think I paid close to $1K for a 5" unit.   :pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet you appreciated a decent roach clip didn't you?   :sleazy:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw, wasnt into that.....beer was my choice of stupidity back then.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
OK I have a old Lowrance Ele-4 on my boat so I can get back to my spots and see the depth.

My neighbor just got a new 20' bass boat with 4-12" Lowrance HDS Pro Fish locators 2 on the bow and 2 at the wheel.
I'm thinking he has way more money and a way bigger penis then me!  :surrender:   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought SI the second year it came out...I think I paid close to $1K for a 5" unit.
And I paid $3,500 for a 36" TV (right when 40"ers were starting to come out) because it was the biggest one that would still fit in my old "square" cabinet.  Now you can pick up  "little" screens like that for 100 bucks.  That's how it goes.

AND, when we were done with it, we couldn't give that TV away to anyone, because everyone already had bigger, better sets themselves.

I still remember the days - before folks had a TV in every gathering room and bedroom in the house - that you felt lucky to get someone's hand-me-down TV. 
« Last Edit: March 03/19/24, 11:12:38 AM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember in 1971 my Dad went and bought a Philco color TV before the Super Bowl.  We are Vikes fans galore.  We were so excited. I dreamt that night that there were about 100 knobs on the back of the TV and we had to adjust them all before the color was right.  Was closer to a nightmare.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well  pulled the pin! :happy1: happy union retirement benefits to me

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats Glenn. You will be happy you did!!!  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
from the time we walked up to the counter till it was paid for in the cart.........15 minutes.  :happy1:

decided to go look at ammo.....and to my amassment they had my 220 grain shells!!!! so picked up 2 220's and a 1 80 for sighting in. 180's where 27 bucks and 220's were marked 41 bucks. rnag them up an he musta did a X 3....because the slip had them all for 27 bucks!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good Glenn! I have no experience with helix units, just Lowrance. Does that have the long transducer also? We usually just run a split screen, down sonar and GPS for our way points. You'll have fun, maybe even take up walleye fishin now!! Ours for some reason really finds the sheepshead.. :scratch:
« Last Edit: March 03/20/24, 03:39:52 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i havent taken it out of the box yet.......i gotta get on there website to turn in the rebate also........i figure with the incoming snowmaggedden.....i'd have time in the next 4-5 days!!!! :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Only deal with ours it's wired up to the main cranking battery,  so every time we start up it flickers, which is no big deal. We're putting in another up front but that one will run off the trolling motor battery....maybe. we just might add another battery to the back.