Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Our new addition  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Our long wait is over or will be in October. Actually we had spoken for her at State Fair time but once we discovered she could not be docked (Corgi's tails need to be docked at 3 days old or sooner) we decided we'd wait for another litter. Broke my heart to let her go but she would be 11 - 12 weeks old by Oct. However, as we discussed afterwards, it really wouldn't matter if the dog had a tail. These are reputable breeders & they use their Corgi's for helping with their 300 Katahdin ewes. They will have her started for us. She'll have her work cut out for her with these Cheviots. Pembroke Corgi breeders have started going away from tail docking with the animal rights people becoming more of a factor. I gotta admit, the little white tip on the tail is kinda cute. They text messaged the wife to see if we'd reconsider & she said yes. Meet Poppy.
« Last Edit: September 09/07/22, 10:06:13 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Congratulations on the new fur baby.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Aaaaaw,  cute lil feller. Congrats Dotch!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
aww nothing but per love and cuteness for sure!!!  :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahh, what a cutie!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great! Are they normally docked for hygienic reasons?
I sure miss my Frieda. I was thinking about her again and how we were together for nearly a fourth of my life. I have pretty much decided to wait until after I retire to get a puppy
Best wishes with the little one. .

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hi Poppy. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That dog's gonna have a good life!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome, Good for you two.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great! Are they normally docked for hygienic reasons?
I sure miss my Frieda. I was thinking about her again and how we were together for nearly a fourth of my life. I have pretty much decided to wait until after I retire to get a puppy
Best wishes with the little one. .

Thanks roony and to all of you. Really looking forward to actually meeting the little fur ball. Other than appearance (tri-color) there were some other attributes we were looking for that genetically this dog should have, including being quiet & only barking when warranted. Corgis can be yippers but with the lines this one comes from it shouldn't be. Hopefully she can become a good gate watcher as they're noted for nipping at critters heels. I can feel it in my joints on days when I have to get on and off equipment to open and close gates all the time.

The tail docking has an interesting origin. It was a means of differentiating a working or herding dog from one that was a pet in jolly old England. If the dog was a pet, it was considered a luxury and subject to a tax. The working or herding Corgi was docked so it wasn't taxed. Tail docking has since been banned in the UK and some blamed the ban for the decrease in popularity of the breed there. As some have mentioned, there can be sensitivity that never goes away when the tail is docked. The breed standard from the AKC for Pembroke Corgi's still calls for the tail to be docked. For show purposes, the tail interferes with the contour of the topline. For our purposes, it doesn't matter. We're not showing or planning on breeding her. It'll be what's inside this little dog that counts.   
« Last Edit: September 09/07/22, 10:20:47 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Good lookin pup, Dotch. Spoil her.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Our long wait is over or will be in October. Actually we had spoken for her at State Fair time but once we discovered she could not be docked (Corgi's tails need to be docked at 3 days old or sooner) we decided we'd wait for another litter. Broke my heart to let her go but she would be 11 - 12 weeks old by Oct. However, as we discussed afterwards, it really wouldn't matter if the dog had a tail. These are reputable breeders & they use their Corgi's for helping with their 300 Katahdin ewes. They will have her started for us. She'll have her work cut out for her with these Cheviots. Pembroke Corgi breeders have started going away from tail docking with the animal rights people becoming more of a factor. I gotta admit, the little white tip on the tail is kinda cute. They text messaged the wife to see if we'd reconsider & she said yes. Meet Poppy.
Hope you got "half off"   :happy1:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Aren't you afraid it will get lost in the grass and you'll run it over mowing the lawn?    ;)   Just kidding, cute pup.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Congrats on the new pup Dotch!!  :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Poppy (puppy's name) loves people. Cats not so much. Definite interest in the sheep. Nite #2 was more trying. She wants to be around us all the time & that's understandable. She was penned with a group of 8 -10 of her little Corgi buddies at the breeder's so it's a major change. Mowed the front lawn so those stubby little legs have an easier time contending with the grass. She does the "zooomies", something the Corgis at the breeders did, meaning running circles as fast as they can around you. Looks hilarious but they're faster than one thinks as is the case with Poppy. These Corgis are bred to work livestock so am excited to see that piece of the puzzle. No rush. Need to give her time to be a puppy. Potty training is going well so far. No messes in the carrier. Poops and pees when we let her out, then tears around checking things out. Likes her naps afterwards. We both took a nap before I went to bed. Way different than the Border Collies we've had. There's actually an off switch on this one.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great Dotch.  Will she be able to jump up on the bed with those short legs?  Cooper sleeps with us and Buddy does for a few minutes.  I love it. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, you put her in a kennel at night, correct?? Put the kennel in your bedroom with you. The dog will still probably whimper some, but if she can smell you 2 it helps.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And if you noticed, I was nice about the smelling you part!!🤪🤣 :evil: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/10/22, 12:35:49 PM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
And if you noticed, I was nice about the smiling you part!!🤪🤣 :evil: :rotflmao:

smiling??    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
congrats guys and a great looking pup!!!    :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And if you noticed, I was nice about the smiling you part!!🤪🤣 :evil: :rotflmao:

smiling??    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:confused: friggin auto correct!! :crazy:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, you put her in a kennel at night, correct?? Put the kennel in your bedroom with you. The dog will still probably whimper some, but if she can smell you 2 it helps.

Yes we do & the carrier/kennel is <5' from where the wife sleeps. She has to have the TV on all nite which probably isn't the best idea. I prefer dark & quiet hence the sleeping arrangements. The carrier is also 3' from the front door making it less likely for accidents to happen. I wore Poppy out at lunchtime so she's down for the count now. She went out & came back in twice using the front steps so lots of positive reinforcement for that. One small pee spot on her towel in the carrier but that's on me for not getting home quickly enough. Puppies this size have bladders the size of a thimble.
« Last Edit: October 10/10/22, 02:05:34 PM by Dotch »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for you guys Dotch! I'm jealous want to get another but not sure I'm ready. Keep us posted on her progress!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Poppy is catching on quickly to the routine at the ranch. Twice a day choretime gets her away from the house although she is on a leash when we're in the barn. Too much stuff to get into. The brood ewes were up by the fence last night and she barked at them, a good sign. The sheep didn't like hearing it, also a good sign. Wife got Poppy some toys. The Chuck It balls are a little too big yet. She needs stuff to chew on so there's an assortment. She likes being outside so try to spend as much time as possible outdoors so she can explore the yard. Poppy enjoyed going to the garden the wife said. All kinds of new things to see. She's getting the hang of bedtime too. Lights out, time for quiet. We take her out in the middle of the night & when we come back in, no noise. Only bad thing is there are suddenly little dog terds all over the front yard. I can live with that. Once I put the blower on the tractor, out of sight out of mind... :whistling: 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
darn good lookin pup for sure!!!!   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Has she gotten into your boodles yet!🤣

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
She's become acclimated quickly and is entering that wild puppy stage. Strong for her size too when trying to get her to settle down. Maybe some Boodles would help!  :rotflmao: She does wear out after a while though. She's chewing/biting more so that's part of the equation. It's what puppies do. Wifey gave her a bone shaped chew toy and that seemed to keep her occupied. She retrieved the small tennis ball night before last, then lost interest in that, very unlike the ball crazy Border Collies we've raised. Give them a ball and they'd entertain themselves for hours. Or drive you nuts staring at it or pestering you to throw it.  :rolleyes::doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I see where you have her trained pretty well already. She masters the Dotch nap like nobody's business!!🤣🤣

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Love the puppies.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.