Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635462 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:scratch: Sounds like they might've been movin a little too fast to me. :tut: :bonk: :doah: Lucky it wasn't worst. :crazy: :pouty:
nope. The 2 with them said they were only going 7-8 miles an hour.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :doah: WTH did they hit then, a bridge? :confused: Hey, was Mn 6 open when you came home? :scratch: No barricades at the Cenex intersection yday, so looked like they could be done.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
he wasnt sure what he hit. they were back by what we call the old dump road.

it was still closed when i went through on tuesday but could tell it was close to being done. however, from a bit further north of the otenagen road all the way to talmoon they are removing the tar, replacing some culverts and resurfacing the road!!!! its passable, just gotta follow a lead car.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There was a couple pcs of equiptment sitting in the ditch just south of the Bstore on Sunday when we were there. Kind of looked like stuff to finish the shoulders to me. :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got back home yesterday. with the wind and on and off rain it was tough to plan anything long term, even going out in the woods or on the lake. :confused:

got there sat about noon. lot more leaves down then around home. feed the birds and mulched up a bunch of leaves. had a fire and drank beer!!!!!! :rotflmao: Sunday my nephew and his friend left early.  headed out to the deer stands to check them out. need a few boards replaced and a couple trails cleared out so i can get a wheeler back there. just gotta make sure i get that trail wide enough so that rack on that big buck dont get stuck in the brush!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1: decided to go fishing.....got half way around the lake. completely opposite end from the access and got rained on. got my  :moon: wet . had caught 6 pike by then, one 28 inches. all swam.

tue and wed was off again on again rain and clearing so i did a little hunting. seen grouse but never got any. i dont hunt ducks but a few out on the lake. seen a few deer. brother showed up wed late afternooon. had fire, a few cocktails.

thursday headed home. it sure was peaceful with noone around. even cleared out a tree on deer hunting trail . be going back up MEA weekend. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fun Glenn.  Nice knowing you have all of the time you want!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Forgot to mention, when I went back to my deerstands I had a WTF moment. Someone had put up a portable type ladder stand 60 yards from my permanent stand. It is one of those one legged stands with the small steps on each side. I'd never climb up in that. :tut:

It wasn't there last year and there could be no way they didn't see my stand already there. :surrender: I think. :pouty: sure hope I have no issues opening morning. Been hunting back there for 30 years.

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was up three trips in Sept. Did some fishing and my buddy was bow hunting, no deer but had a cougar on the camera by my stand. Two trips planned for this month and then the big hunt comes. May take the boat up week after next if the weather is nice. Have a great day.     :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I figured you've been up there, hayslips is still open. :evil: :rotflmao: and don't you know, the DNR says there's no cougars in minnesota. :doofus: :pouty: :rotflmao:

I had heard one of the brothers that own hayslips passed away??? :scratch:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dave over at Hayslips died about six weeks ago. He had bone cancer and spent the entire winter at the Mayo clinic two years ago. I saw him a couple of weeks before he passed away and looked good, he was trimming grass. Too bad as he was a great guy, plowed my yard out for years. A very hard worker. Hopefully the cougar is gone, probably headed a few miles west from me.   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Merc, was he the one that did interior trim work?? Think that one also drove school bus?? :scratch: think he also lived just west of Talmoon to abit.

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That would be him.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Almost all loaded up and ready to hit the road in the morning. At least 7 days of doing whatever the hell I want. :rotflmao: :evil: come to think of it, I do that anyway. :sleazy:

Be careful Gunner, one never knows who shows up at your door. :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe I'll see if that merc fellers around to. :evil: :sleazy:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
have fun and be carefull of Inger!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner won't let me even close to there!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have a great time Glenn. 

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just got back today. Guess I planned that right. Heading back up next week Thursday, by then he'll be back. What timing!!    :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone got a Grouse report from up that way?
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Didn’t go out myself last weekend. Getting pre winter chores done. But the leaves have come off the trees and brush, and I heard pretty regular shooting.

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I didn't hunt but saw quite a few walking around. Seems like a pretty good year for them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well made it back in one piece!!!!! :happy1: even shot 2 grouse!!!!!did a bunch of stuff tuesday around the cabin. wed it rained all day but had inside stuff to do so got that done. thursday took care of yard work and did a little road hunting. nephew and his crew came up, mainly to take is new girlfriends daughter out for the youth hunt. to cold to fish, sooo.....had some fires and beer. friday got 2 grouse. sat it snowed but fixed deer stands and winterized the cabin.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Pan fried grouse....mmmm,been alot of years since I  had a ruff grouse dinner,plenty of sharptail and prarie chickens from out west but they don't compare to ruff grouse table fare.

So glenn,gotta ask,as you don't chime in on shooting threads,did you ground/tree swat the birds or let them take flight? curious minds here.main thing is you nailed two birds,congrats.See any woodcock?
« Last Edit: October 10/21/20, 08:11:10 AM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I shoot at them anyway I can. :rotflmao: these 2 happen to be flying/ flushed. I seen 6 more and heard 2 but damn they were flushing way out if shot gun range.  And most where way off the beaten trails. Walking was the ticket.

Nope didn't see any woodcock. Usually do a few anyway.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :sad: got almost 2 weeks before my next trip north. getting antzy. :doah: :pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just took a peek at the cameras at geigers and williams narrows, no ice yet at geigers, there looks to be ice forming around the docks and boat landing area at the narrows but not in the other spots!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57,
Did you leave a note on the stand.  Just saying because the same thing in reverse happened to my friend last fall in the Chippewa forest. A guy built a permanent stand 60 yds from his ladder stand. He was overlooking a small clearing (bedding area) with several heavy trails entering/leaving the area.  He saw this bow hunting several weeks before the rifle season and left a note in a baggie that perhaps the hunter didn't notice his stand. He left his name and number indicating he was a local and knew the area well and would help him locate another stand location.  Never heard from the guy.  Opening of rifle season the stand was empty until 9 AM when a guy comes walking in right down the main deer trail (my friend circled in to avoid this), read the note, and proceeded to knock down the stand.  It took a half hour and the guy never acknowledged my friend in blaze orange 60 yds away.  Guy gone, no issue but really strange. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye no i did not leave a note. i cant phanton if he sat in his stand that he never seen mine, but who knows. it was still there a week ago but looks largely unused. i did however happen by accident walk right in front of a game camera. hopefully it went to his phone.

i plan on  being in my stand extra early on opening morning in hopes of getting there before him. and hope for the  best. we shall see how it plays out.  my group and another group that hunts further south know where we each hunt and this is the first time this happened in a long while. not sure how i will react if this guy is a richard>>>>>>>>> i do have another stand further back but cant see very far, this snow helps, or i may do this, and not my idea of being a good sportsman, but i may not get a deer but he may not either..................   

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glenn, you hunt behind the store? I know some guys that have a place farther back, where the gate is back in further.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, you hunt behind the store? I know some guys that have a place farther back, where the gate is back in further.
no, i do know where the gate is. we do bear hunt back there and grouse hunt back there. ive gone back there to deer hunt occasionally the 2nd or 3rd weekend. there is a big group that has a place up on top of the hill just west of the store that hunts back there and i think they beat that up pretty good.

we hunt by the sand lake cemetery, and just before the Ames road but on the south side of the road. we go back aways!!!!!!

i've looked at the itasca county GIS mapping, there is some property back there by the big split that has some type of guide????? title to it. he's from foley i guess and it appears to be a one man show, but he has some pretty fancy stands put up in a couple places. there is also a guy thats from monticello that owns property back there.