Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 532555 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I been trying to figure out a poker style game.
It would be hard to run on-line, but maybe this will give folks some ideas to riff off of...

• 10 guys.  13 Weeks.  52 cards.
  • Every week each guy gets a different number, 0-9.
  • Every game has 4 quarters.  Add the cumulative scores for both teams every quarter, take the last digit from the total-total for every quarter, and the guy with the matching number gets a card.  Deal out 4 cards per week.
  • Next week, pass out 10 new numbers and deal out 4 new cards.
  • After 13 weeks all the cards are gone.  Some guys might have 3 cards, 5 cards, 12 cards, whatever.
  • Best 5-card poker hand at the end of the 13 weeks wins.
I don't know you'd keep track of who gets what number every week or how to deal randomly and keep track of everyone's cards.  And its a pretty slow burn, and a passive game, but maybe you can build on it.
:scratch: Isn't that asking for a lot from a guy that has trouble counting to 7 when he's pickling & canning? :sleazy: :evil:        ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/01/23, 08:12:46 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Unreal.  All I ask is send me just one measly mill. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Would you keep them Fed Ex & UPS drivers busy? ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man you have that right.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 09/01/23, 08:43:27 AM by LPS »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Unreal.  All I ask is send me just one measly mill.
Food for thought...  Stephen Strasburg was one of the best pitchers in baseball, but his 14 career was injury plagued.  He signed a 7-year $245 million contract extension with the Washington Nationals in 2019, but had to retire this year due to injury.  Insurance will probably pay out the remaining $105M on his contract, but for the $140 the Nationals already gave him...

Since that contract signing, however, Strasburg has only pitched 31 innings, or $4.5 million per inning!!!   :doah: 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
OKAY DOKEY..........i've made an executive decision regarding the weekly Vikings pool!!!!!!!

same rules as boars setup in the past. but i am going to ask for assistance to help keep this up to date and correct as i'm sometimes not around!!!!!!

the weekly winner will get $4.00. if a tie each gets $2.00. so thats a $68.00 investment!!!!!! and you can bet you biffy i'm gonna be out for blood!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: it'll get paid out at the end of the regular season. i decided to go this route so sending the winnings out would be cheaper.....and easier then say fishing jigs!!!!!

i'll also be doing the playoff pool when that starts!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So first half score added to the final score?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So first half score added to the final score?
yes sir!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Kyle Rudolph is going to retire & it will be as a Viking, on week 3.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw that.  Good guy and glad he can retire as a Vike. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: What I read sounded like he may be doing some games for 1 of the networks. :cool:
« Last Edit: September 09/06/23, 05:53:11 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I noticed that game #2 is broadcast on Glenns favorite channel,  Amazon. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Curious to see how Baker Mayfield plays for Tampa on Sunday... 

Browns decided to move on from him.  I don't have a clue if Mayfield is a bad teammate or if he don't put the work in or what the rap on him might be.

He reminds me of Cousins.  He ain't the best out there, but he is far from the worst.  Put him in the right situation with the right people and he has the talent to win.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know much about him neither.  I did like the commercials where him and his wife lived at the stadium.  Pretty funny.  Now that Det won I sure hope we can beat Baker and his new team.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The more things don't change... The more things stay the same.   :pouty:

Knee Jerk Reactions - Week 1

What went wrong?

Interior OL – stop me if you’ve heard this before. Bradbury went down early with a back injury early and the guards were terrible. Austin Schlottmann overall filled in decently. Cleveland was poor in pass protection, but decent in the run game. Ingram was a disaster in every possible way. He slapped the ball out of Cousins hands to cause the first turnover. He allowed pressure constantly in the passing game. Overall the Interior OL is likely going to stop this team from being a contender and today is exhibit A.
Play Calling – The offense was so predictable. The same old TE screens to lose yards and kill the drive were in play. The final two drives were three and out and combined for 6 total yards. Both of those drives started off with negative TE screens to TJ Hockenson. I enjoy TJ too, but he’s not who I want a quick screen to go to. JJ and Addison need to see those opportunities, not the easiest player to tackle on the field.

Couldn't have said it any different myself.  SO tired of watching receivers run routes 2 or 3 yards short of the line to gain on 3rd down.  :bonk:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Are the fans the only ones that see the need to improve the O line?  That should have been priority number 1 in my eyes.  Will be the challenge all year it seems.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And I don't know how they're goona be able to fix it.  I don't think they can upgrade the OL until they know what their budget is for receiver and QB.

They just gave a boatload of money to TJ Hockenson.  By all accounts, they'll need to break the bank to sign JJ.  And they don't have a franchise QB locked up.

My guess is they will try to get JJ done at the end of the year.  Tank next year with Nick Mullins or some other transition guy as QB.  And then move up to draft the best QB they can in 2025.

Unless, of coarse, they end up in the dumpster this year and can move up to draft Kirk's replacement sooner. ;)

They won a boatload of close games last year by getting good bounces and making plays when they needed them.  Yesterday, not so much.
« Last Edit: September 09/11/23, 08:09:21 AM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just read that O lineman Risner still wants to play for the Vikes. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 The price for JJ's new deal likely went up last week with the figures that were in the new deal that SF gave Bosa. https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/9/9/23865792/the-bosa-extension-has-thrown-a-wrench-in-the-vikings-contract-negotiatio I hope Mullens is ready to play because Cousins won't make it 1/2 way through the season without getting hurt if interior of the O-line doesn't get it together. :pouty: :thumbs:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If JJ wants history-making, record-breaking, new bar-setting money, trade him this year while he still has 2 years on his rookie deal and top-end trade value.  Show me a blueprint where teams win consistently when the receiver is the highest player on the team.

It can work for a couple of years IF you get lucky and draft a franchise QB, have him perform like a top-10 franchise QB from year 1, and have him locked up for 5 years on a rookie deal, but the Vikes ain't got none of that.

On the flip side... in recent years teams have made dramatic turn-arounds by amassing draft capital and JJ might be the best trade bait the Vikes have to get the resources they need to draft a franchise QB next year.  Might even have some left over to improve the OL. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: No way do they trade him IMO. Only if it is a Herschel Walker/Trey Lance draft day type trade & I'll believe that when I see it. :crazy:
« Last Edit: September 09/11/23, 12:47:17 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup it has to be a big advantage to us.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The Herschel Walker fleecing will likely never occur again, but maybe similar to the Bradford-Goff trade:  Bradford for Goff + 2021 3rd rounder + 2022 1st rounder + 2023 1st rounder

Good for Rams, they won the Superbowl.  Good for Lions, they got the building blocks they needed.

It might just be the MN Fan in me coming out, but I think the Vikes are more like the Lions than the Rams.  They could use a few more basic building blocks before they are ready to go all-in.  :surrender:

If JJ is what another team needs to win the Superbowl this year (or next) and they are willing to give up something close to that price, I think the Vikes gotta take it.  Especially given the amount of money JJ seems to be demanding on a team where the window of opportunity for winning a Superbowl really isn't wide open.

They just have to keep if out of social media if they are considering such offers.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You mean Stafford in that deal. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I like your thinking Steve-o,  after watching a bad pass (not in jj's) direction and watching his reaction to not getting ball and besides him sitting on the bench after the game while the rest of the team shook hands just reminds me of the other deva that we shipped off to Buffalo.  It's early yet but  let's watch and see...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't like that neither.  Pretty close to pouting.  He can get on a Super Bowl contender if he works it right.  He may be thinking that.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Think we are going to see a whole lot more of JJ pouting with this Addison! :surrender:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a good way to ease into retirement. You can’t even get sick pay.
Take it easy and heal up fast.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Oops. Wrong thread.