Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 532586 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, the Vikes turned things around to get to .500, but does anyone REALLY think the window of opportunity is open for this team to make a deep play-off run?   :confused:  I didn't think so.   :coffee:

The front office has to say the right things...  "All options on the table, etc. etc. etc."  Let's hope they aren't' foolish enough to mortgage the future just to get a middling backup QB to close out this mediocre season. 

Unless, of course...  They are savvy enough to trade JJ for a bona fide QB1 under contract for the next couple of years.   :sleazy:

But that pipe dream ain't happening.  :popcorn:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did think they were on a roll and could have made a nice run.  Everyone seems to have gelled greatly the last few weeks.   BUT they may now just seriously look for the QB of the future.  Who is another 35 mill a year QB we could get.  Or isn't that enough money anymore?

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Cousins wasn't mobile to begin with.  If he comes back next year - with the 'hometown' discount because of the bad wheel and no other team willing to give him top dollar - maybe he could still be an effective pocket passer.  He always has been the guy that wants to prove his critics wrong.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
His accuracy is his thing.  He is pretty darn accurate.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I did think they were on a roll and could have made a nice run.  Everyone seems to have gelled greatly the last few weeks.   BUT they may now just seriously look for the QB of the future.  Who is another 35 mill a year QB we could get.  Or isn't that enough money anymore?
:scratch: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/08/11/quarterbacks-highest-paid-2023-salary-rankings/70510339007/  :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see that the Falcons are favored by 4.5 - 5 pts.  Man the Rams have really fallen.  GB is favored over them by 3

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Any trades need to be completed by 3:00 today. One prospect, McCoy, is a FA however. A lot of opinions out there about what should/will happen & some even kind of make sense. :scratch: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/10/30/23939805/report-vikings-may-not-be-active-before-trade-deadline  :confused: They have their 1st practice of the week tomorrow, so they will have to decide who is the guy, at least for this week, by then.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I don't think they will make a trade. Maybe sign a QB sitting on his couch at hoem.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
there sure is alot of blabberin about Winston  :scratch: :doah: not sure about him??? his passing isnt all that good but he can run with the ball another threat. he's on the bench for a reason i guess!!!! :rolleyes:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Other than the sexual assault and stealing issues he may not be a bad guy.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Other than the sexual assault and stealing issues he may not be a bad guy.
:thumbs:

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Current reports by various so called experts are saying the Vikings are not likely to do anything at QB before the trade deadline at 3:00 today. They also say that Hunter is not likely going anywhere.
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Aren't blockbuster trades at the NFL pretty rare?   :confused:

It ain't the same as baseball where by the trade deadline, teams generally know if they should be buyers or sellers - and they are more apt to trade talent now for prospects down the road.  That really doesn't exist in the NFL.

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Well the experts were wrong. They just made a trade for Josh Dobbs. Oh Yay !!! He was just benched is favor of a 5th round rookie QB

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
If nothing else he's a smart guy.
" An actual rocket scientist, Dobbs has had several internships with NASA. He earned a degree in aerospace engineering at Tennessee while also going 3-0 in bowl games as the Volunteers' quarterback. "

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i seen also they just sent Cleveland to the Jags.......Risner must be doing pretty good!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The Cardinals are trading Dobbs and a 2024 seventh-round pick to the Vikings in exchange for a 2024 sixth-rounder.

Dobbs being traded -- for the second time this year.  ...  The Cardinals gave up a fifth-round pick for Dobbs earlier this season but are getting a sixth in return eight games and little more than two months later.

So the Vikes are trading next to nothing to get another warm body in the QB room.   :coffee:

I'm glad they didn't break the bank to go searching for something that isn't there.   :azn:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Vikings are now sending guard Ezra Cleveland to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a Day 3 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.  A “Day 3” pick, which could be anything between the fourth and the seventh round.

Cleveland was the Vikings’ second-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and until his recent foot injury had started 43 consecutive games for the Vikings at left guard. He missed the last two games with in-season free agent signing Dalton Risner stepping into his left guard spot.

So the Vikes are getting next to nothing (or maybe a little something more) for a second rounder who gave them 2+ years of service as a starter. 

But things change.  If Cleveland wasn't going to be part of the go-forward plan, better to get something for him rather than nothing - especially if he we only going to be a back-up the rest of the way.

« Last Edit: October 10/31/23, 02:31:46 PM by Steve-o »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A good share of Risner's deal was signing bonus, so Cleveland's salary for the season is more than double Risner's but Risner is about $1 million more of a cap hit. :scratch: I don't know how or if that even played into it, but both are UFAs after this season. :confused:
« Last Edit: November 11/01/23, 07:24:56 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Lost in the chaos caused by the Vikings trading for quarterback Josh Dobbs and sending left guard Ezra Cleveland to Jacksonville on Tuesday was a little line from Ian Rapoport on NFL Network when he uttered the words "Justin Jefferson coming back sooner rather than later."

Could be for the New Orleans game following this Sunday's game

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for the team.  Good for Jefferson.

I admit to wearing my MN "Defeatist" Sport Fan hat right now, but I don't see a clear path towards signing JJ next year.

I don't think he'll go into next season without a long term deal, i.e. holdout.  And if that it his play, will JJ demand a trade if the Vikes can't come to an agreement?

So recovering quickly and playing well is good for JJ's 'brand' and will help him in his quest to reset the $$$ bar for WR1 contracts.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been watching Jaren Hall highlights.  Here are his stats from 2022:  66% completions, 3171 yards passing, 31 TDs in the air, 6 int, 346 yards rushing, 3 rushing TDs.  I think he will fit right in with this group.  Perfect time for him too when things are looking good.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: November 11/01/23, 03:04:33 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya they don't come much nicer than Kirk.  Class act.  Also good to see Reed coming here. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: This might have something to do with why Cleveland is now in Jacksonville? https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/01/og-chris-reed-returns-to-minnesota-on-two-year-deal-with-vikings/
How so?  That article is from 2022.  Is Reed even still on the roster?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: November 11/02/23, 05:52:00 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:oops1:  :doah: This 1 isn't https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/01/vikings-roster-moves-joejuan-williams-chris-reed/ NFI= Non-Football Injury.  :scratch: https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings
"Reed was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list on Aug. 30 and seems to have recovered enough to return to practice for the Vikings. He'll provide depth on Minnesota's offensive line once he's able to suit up for games."

Maybe the NFL had that special non-football injury list all along, or maybe they invented it for they guys who didn't want to play during Covid - or maybe that was a different list.

Non-football injuries though...  could be anything from a skiing accident to maybe even a recovery program.  Either way, glad he is coming out of the woods.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Some sort of foot injury, it says here https://www.vikings.com/news/falcons-week-9-injury-report :confused: He did participate in practice yday but it was just a walk-through.
« Last Edit: November 11/02/23, 08:45:09 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been watching Jaren Hall highlights.  Here are his stats from 2022:  66% completions, 3171 yards passing, 31 TDs in the air, 6 int, 346 yards rushing, 3 rushing TDs.  I think he will fit right in with this group.  Perfect time for him too when things are looking good.
I was curious about Dobbs too, so I did some research & kind of liked what I found. This was 1 of the more interesting pcs I found.................https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-new-qb-joshua-dobbs
« Last Edit: November 11/02/23, 01:21:19 PM by Gunner55 »