Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 532567 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I see Mannion is now on the depth chart, he wasn't this AM. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I read that he is the backup.   HELP!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :Clap: https://www.vikings.com/news/dennis-ryan-equipment-room-surprise-47-year-career :cool: Also read where Hockenson will play today & that Osborn has passed concussion protocals but it's still a game time decision on if he plays.
« Last Edit: November 11/12/23, 07:14:26 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a great story Gunner.  Thanks for posting it.  Very emotional story.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Kirk, Kirk who??

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Kirk, Kirk who??

The kid is looking pretty good thus far. O'Connell is calling a perfect game for him. Very basic, few plays. Just react to what you see type stuff. Nothing there to overthink.

But remember, he has not stuck with any team for a reason.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Like the fox pre game guys mentioned he hasn't found a fit, looks like he did in MN. He looked pretty comfy in the first half,  hopefully another week of practice he'll get even more comfortable.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I keep waiting for the bubble to burst.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Sure glad #87 was able to play & if Joseph makes that last kick, they win by 11.
« Last Edit: November 11/12/23, 11:09:32 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Another win and another great game.  We have a lot of good guys out with injuries too so great that we are hanging in there.  I'm thinking KOC is having a good time with this new QB.
« Last Edit: November 11/13/23, 07:27:40 AM by LPS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope Dobbs's found a fit.  But then again, much/most of the fan base and the rest of the league had FINALLY warmed up Kirk Cousins playing some of this best football ever. 

Next year do they take a chance with an aging, non-mobile QB coming off a devastating ankle injury, or do they take a chance with a journeyman who has age and mobility as his upside.  :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That mobility is really a great concept isn't it?  Just hope he doesn't get hurt.  That is the downside of mobility.
« Last Edit: November 11/13/23, 07:41:51 AM by LPS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Kirk had/has 3 things going for him.
  • Torn Achilles tendon aside, Kirk has demonstrated he does not typically get injured and is tough as nails.  (Some guys' bodies in the NFL just don't stand up to the punishment.  Staying healthy is a physiological gift that some guys have and others don't.)
  • He is an accurate passer who still seems to have plenty of arm strength.  You can't coach that.
  • He looks as if he has figured 'it' out.*  He is reading defenses fast and making quick decisions, which makes up for his lack of mobility.

*Like they've said in the past of P. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and others.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
KO'C has said more than once that he would really like to see Cousins come back & Cousins has often said he doesn't want to leave so, I think Cousins signs a pretty team friendly deal to stay. I just looked at Dobb's deal & he must be only making the league minimum. So, I'd hope they could find a way to give him a nice raise & keep him too. However, he is a FA at the end of this season & with what he's done for the Vikings so far, there will be a lot of interest. I'm curious to look at the IL this morning too, LPS. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/joshua-dobbs-21877/cash-earnings

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
KO'C has said more than once that he would really like to see Cousins come back & Cousins has often said he doesn't want to leave so, I think Cousins signs a pretty team friendly deal to stay...
No doubt.  Who wouldn't like to keep a skilled QB playing at the top of his game for as long a possible.

So what do they do if they think Dobbs can be the QB of the future?  Do you let that slip away to try to get one or two more seasons out of Kirk?*

I kind of like the way this is playing out.  League history is full of 1st round QBs that didn't live up to the hype.  In my opinion, many of them weren't given proper time to mature and develop.  Look at Geno Smith.  PFF has him as one of the top 10 QBs this season.  Enter Josh Dobbs.  He has had 7 seasons to learn, mature, and develop.  He is smart, mobile, and we are going to find out if he can make all the throws in a pass-first offense the rest of this year.  Two games with the Vikes and his first 7 games with the Cardinals...  It looks like Dobbs is ready to make the most out of his opportunity.   :cool:

Kirk gambled on himself again this year by not seeking and/or signing a team-friendly deal this past offseason.  He was well on the way to earning another good contract, but things change fast in the NFL. 

*And then when Kirk is gone, then what?  Bottom out with a bad season, reach for a 1st round QB that has a 50/50 chance of being a serviceable QB after 3 seasons or being gone?  Or sign another veteran QB looking for some redemption as a bridge to the next franchise QB? 

Teams always like to think they are reloading instead of rebuilding.  Two games isn't much of a sample size for Dobbs, but this MIGHT be the Vikes' chance to reload instead of rebuild.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Like the fox pre game guys mentioned he hasn't found a fit, looks like he did in MN. He looked pretty comfy in the first half,  hopefully another week of practice he'll get even more comfortable.
For a guy to come in and play his first few games without taking many snaps or know the play book shows a ton of natural ability.  Hope they don't screw him up with all their goofy coaching ideas, just let the boy play!   :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

I just looked at Dobb's deal & he must be only making the league minimum. So, I'd hope they could find a way to give him a nice raise & keep him too. However, he is a FA at the end of this season & with what he's done for the Vikings so far, there will be a lot of interest. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/joshua-dobbs-21877/cash-earnings
:scratch: Mullens has a year left on his 2.1 mil/yr deal so they trade him & Hall has 3 years left on his $4.1 mil/4 yr rookie deal, so they keep him. They give Dobbs most, if not all, of Mullens $ plus it's perfect scheme for him & he likes it here, so he stays. Cousins QB1, Dobbs QB2, Hall QB3.   :cool:
« Last Edit: November 11/15/23, 02:56:42 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yop good question Gunner... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What are the chances of Kirk being QB #2?  We have a ways to go to see how Dobbs does the rest of the season.  Maybe they could be interchangeable.  LOL

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Its all subterfuge.  The Vikes saying they are still interested in having young guys develop behind Cousins is just sayin all the right things.  I don't see Kirk stepping back to be QB2, but you never know.  He is a different cat.

Small sample size... but if Dobbs does the job, and Kirk isn't under contract next season...  And if Dobbs performs like a QB1 the rest of the way, pay him like one* and get him under contract next season and beyond.  They still have Hall for QB2.  Problem solved.

If Dobbs falters and can't make the throws and isn't going to the the quarterback of the future for the Vikes, they go back to Kirk who bridges till they get the next guy.  Hall?  Maybe.  Problem Solved.

They got options, and right now, they aren't all bad.

*If Dobbs performs, they will have to pay him, because there will be lots of interest in him.  However, the Vikes should have the inside track if they treat him well and offer him a fair deal.  Dobbs "hasn't been paid" yet in the NFL and this is his shot to make the life-changing money those guys are all looking for.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
What are the chances of Kirk being QB #2?  We have a ways to go to see how Dobbs does the rest of the season.  Maybe they could be interchangeable.  LOL
:scratch: I could see a case where Cousins gets the majority of the snaps every game but Dobbs also got a series or 2 just to change things up. The Saints have done that with their QB1 & Taysom Hill for at least the last 3-4 years. Hill even plays WR sometimes when they have injuries at that position. He had 2 catches yday, in fact.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Cousins and Dobbs are both going to be looking for QB1 money, plus they have to sign JJ.   :doah:   (How about that for a wrinkle. ;) I'll eat my hat if they can figure out how to sign all three.  Plus the O line could still be better, they have no running back, and the defense is going to need attention next off-season too.  I digress.) 

If you want to keep JJ, he has to feel good about the QB1 going forward or he is gone.    :scratch:

Now who are they going to sign?   :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There will be some restructuring throughout the league if the teams are all going to be missing 20 mil from TV contracts.  Is that right?  If so maybe that will play into it in our favor.  Dobbsy is great so far but we shall see!  He may end up as backup material before the season is over. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Dobbs beat a terrible Atlanta team followed up by a equally bad New Orleans team followed up by a soon to be 3-6 Denver team.

Slow your roll. He's just a guy who hit the perfect schedule and perfect coach who gives him a handful of plays.

He isn't yesterday, today or any time soon a QB1.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya gotta remember Dutch, the Falcons and Saints have a good Defense,  offense is hit or miss. Not only has our run game been terrible this season but we've been missing some key players on both sides of the ball, even dating back when they were 1-4. 5 game winning streak,  I'll take it. Dobbs has brought back the running threat and has everyone's attention,  should be fun to Watch.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Yea Dutchy, dont be such a Debbie downer!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: hop on that bandwagon bud!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm enjoying what he's doing as much as everybody else. I'm just saying he was available for almost nothing for a reason. He hasn't played or beaten a good team yet, maybe he will, but history says he won't.

The discussion was how would the Vikings pay JJ along with (2) #1 quarterbacks. My point is they won't have to.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just giving you a hard time.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Dobbs beat a terrible Atlanta team followed up by a equally bad New Orleans team followed up by a soon to be 3-6 Denver team.

Slow your roll. He's just a guy who hit the perfect schedule and perfect coach who gives him a handful of plays.

He isn't yesterday, today or any time soon a QB1.

I couldn't agree more Dutchy, there's absolutely no way he gets more than good QB2 $. Which in today's NFL is ~ $2.5-3 mil/yr & that is still a 200-300% raise from the most he's ever made.
« Last Edit: November 11/13/23, 07:14:57 PM by Gunner55 »