Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289659 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No woody, at least not today but did have this drake mallard wandering in the yard this a.m.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Mallard stew!!!🤭 :rotflmao: you haven't trained Ruby to retrieve them yet. :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Pretty bird!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Got a pair tonight....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:  they are fun to watch!!!  still have a rooster running around here but no hens.........
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that just funny camera lighting, or is that hen really that light colored.

I don't think I've ever seen one so white.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure what's worse the squrriels or grackels? some beeches are going thru 1 lb of black sunflower seeds daily,spent yesterday thinning them both out,dang grackels are like small crows,they bully my song birds off the feeders,last summer I watched one raid a robins nest in my small pine tree,so its open season at my place.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first two pelicans about noon today.  Flying towards JB's direction. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like them about as much as the Cormorants.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Usually there's a lot of 'em just down from the DNR's egg collection site that they set up on Little Cutfoot. There's so many that they need to have a small trailer over there so they can stay overnight to guard the holding pens or they would be empty in the morning.  :crazy: :pouty:
« Last Edit: April 04/15/21, 05:00:50 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy isn't that the truth.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like we have Harris's sparrows in the yard at the ranch. The immature birds make it more of a challenge to ID but their song is a giveaway. It's a little similar to the white-throated sparrows but more broken with more of a variety of sounds. The white-throated and white-crowned sparrows should be around soon.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have had a red bellied woodpecker visiting our feeder this morning.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a grey heron last night....

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bought a NY Strip loin yesterday.  I cut the thick fat off and put it in a baggie in the freezer.  Thinking I will just pack our square suet feeder with it.  Don't feel like rendering it.  Have never done it before.  The birds should eat it shouldn't they?

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Use it in the winter, then they will eat it. In the warmer weather it will be to soft for them. I do that with deer tallow all winter long. The birds really it it up.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Don't see why not. Those big hunks of suet I get are just fat from around the kidneys. They might want A1 or 57 with that steak fat tho... :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This one came in yesterday afternoon

https://youtu.be/7t_q6qNSuo0
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good lookin bird!! 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first tree swallows yesterday forenoon.  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got my eyes peeled for them.  Had a Coopers Hawk land on the railing next to our feeder this morning.  Looking at us. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Spent all day yesterday battling a territorial robin.

They day started with this robin seeing his reflection in our front window and incessantly bashing his head into it to defeat his perceived rival.

Step 1.  Open and close the interior blinds to see if that made a difference in the window reflection.
Nope.  More banging and pecking.
Step 2.  Hang a sheet over the window outside of the window.
The sheet puckered at the top and the robin flew up and sat pecking at his reflection again.
Step 3.  Duct tape around the edges to close puckers and gaps.
The robin moved over to the next window away from the tree.  It started on the ground and flapped up until it saw its reflection and started pecking again.
Step 4.  Hang and duct tape a sheet over the next window.
The robin moved around the corner and found another window.
Step 5.  Hang and duct tape a sheet over a third window.
More pecking and banging.  The sun was baking the west side of the house and the tape wasn't sticking.
Step 6.  Even MORE duct tape.
The clouds blew in with cooler temps and light rain.  It was quiet for the evening until the sun set.

Now I wonder what the neighbors are thinking with all the sheets covering our windows.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
 We normally have that every year. At the crack of dawn, this deranged Robin throws himself at the window over and over for hours. In between collisions with the glass, he sits on the deck rail to rest. We’ve tried bird spikes on the rail, which do not work; a fake owl or two perched on the rail, which doesn’t work; flashy Mylar ribbons in front of the window to blow in the breeze, which doesn’t work; and blow up giant eye balloons, that don’t work. I’ve heard of people smearing the windows with Dawn dish soap and covering the windows with post it notes.   Those might work, but that prevents you from seeing out the window.
He hasn’t  shown up this year so far. Maybe he moved to your place, Steve-o.
I will say he doesn’t damage anything, unlike the woodpeckers and nuthatches who really do a number on redwood siding. 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Just shoot the bugger. :sleazy:
mm

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Almost did at 6:30 this morning.   :fudd:

Instead we replaced the sheets that were falling off the windows with Press and Seal wrap.  We found we couldn't leave even an one inch strip uncovered because it would find its reflection and peck at it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Almost did at 6:30 this morning.   :fudd:

Instead we replaced the sheets that were falling off the windows with Press and Seal wrap.  We found we couldn't leave even an one inch strip uncovered because it would find its reflection and peck at it.
you ever think that robin has the hotz  :hubba: :wowza: for you???? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I heard about somebody putting saran wrap and black shoe polish on toilets in the women's dorm once... :scratch:  :evil:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard about somebody putting saran wrap and black shoe polish on toilets in the women's dorm once... :scratch:  :evil:
Is that a confession?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that a confession?

sounds like one!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman