Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 294533 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Even the pooch is looking over my shoulder checking out your rooster pics Dotch,  ya he has been road hunting a bit  ;) . 2 Robin's were just out at the feeders,  sure am hoping their telling that rodent Phil he's wrong.... :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Great to hear about the robins boober.  :happy1: Pheasants are back this a.m. Saw bunches of them  between here & Hope yesterday. Mostly roosters so hope the hens are just hanging out elsewhere. The flicker was feeding on the suet a little bit ago. Appears to be wintering well.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Hopefully the spring is good to them Roosters,  they sure are a neat bird! Had around 6 Robin's earlier,  some house finches ( I think, I gotta figure out the differences between them and the purple ones) lots o sparrows and a Junco. Did see a yellow female finch but rumor is the males lose the bright yellow before winter so who knows.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
This is outside the wife's office window.  Under a cedar tree.  Waxwings.  Never seen so many in my life. If you zoom in the tree is full of them too.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice! Beautiful birds.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a cool picture!! We have lots of wax wings here in the summer, but never in the winter. The love the choke cherries when they are ready.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Way cool Barry. :happy1: They seem to be nomadic here. Need to refill the birdfeeders sometime today. All the tearing around Poppy does tuckers her out. It also allows her plenty of potty time so I feel fairly comfortable leaving her loose when we come back in. And she actually likes watching the birds once back in the house.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just got in from filling the birdfeeders. Could hear the goldfinches but couldn't see them. Guessing they were hiding in the spruce trees out of sight. Once the feeders were filled, they descended like little vultures, especially on the thistle feeders. Within minutes, they were gone. Suspect one of the resident small hawks may be lurking in the vicinity. Not even any house sparrows.  :scratch: It's been a good winter of bird feeding altho the thistle seed consumption has been nuts. Not cheap either but nothing is these days. The pheasants blow through the yard once a day. They vary their routine some. Later in the day I've noticed them trekking along the north side of the grove. They're heading back to cover in the CRP across the road. Just hope people are paying attention and not diddling on their cell phones. They've picked off a bunch of squirrels this winter between here and the neighbors.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My pheasants are bigger than yours
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just had a couple roosters out by the lake walking around!!!   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Must be those ZZ Top pheasants... :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Must be those ZZ Top pheasants... :scratch:

beard isn't long enough!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Been noticing horned larks along the road this past week. This morning heard & saw our 1st robin at the ranch in the red oak tree. If they hang around & the forecast comes to fruition, they may be in for a rude awakening. 😒

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Had pheasants in my grove last Friday. I was hoping they'd come by the bird feeders but if they did I didn't see them. This crust on the snow is making their life difficult.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i was genuinely surprised with this weather moving in the bird feeders werent busy??? :scratch: haven't seen many lately!!!!!!!! sometimes i wonder if some kind of hawk in hovering around,,,,,,,,i've seen then on occasion!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There was more bird activity yesterday here. I put some corn out for the pheasants. A few minutes ago there was one up in the crabapple tree. Should fill the birdfeeders this afternoon then sit back to see what they're up to thru the storm.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree they hit it hard yesterday,  although the safflower was down some today so I topped that off while i was out. Funny watching em tho, if the sparrows are on one feeder the finches got to the other.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Half dozen pheasants were working the corn over. They wasted little time.  :coffee:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa bird activity this morning. Pheasants were back. They like the shelter the yard provides on days like today.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea the birds where busy here this morning too!!!!!!! they must know something?????? :shocked: :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Safflower completely empty when I got home. Momma counted close to 16 gold finches hammering away at it today. As soon as I refilled got back inside I counted 12...pigs. they are neat. All the same color, if lps keeps doing the spring warm up dance they'll be turning yellow perty quick!  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And yes I am doing the dance.  I need to get sunflower seeds tomorrow.  Rolled oats too for the horses.  We still have the Pine Grosbeaks here which we really like.  A gray squirrel the other day too.  They are a rare specie here with Cooper keeping guard. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was glancing at the pheasants & thought oh crap! One of the ewes is up in the yard! 2nd look & it was just Bambi.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LIKE!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The last few days we have had lots of evening grosbeaks in with the pine grosbeaks. Haven't seen evenings here for a few years. LPS has them all the time.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :confused:youz guys got deer and turkeys under your feeders!; :bonk: I just looked out back and had a frickin possum under one of mine! :confused: :banghead: :banghead:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :confused:youz guys got deer and turkeys under your feeders!; :bonk: I just looked out back and had a frickin possum under one of mine! :confused: :banghead: :banghead:
  only you!!!   too funny!!! 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is cool as heck Glenn.  Probably living in your garage.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   Put an old blanket out there for him.  OR her, you may be a Grandpa by spring.