Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Glenn not telling us something  (Read 395 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :tut: not I. There was quite the thread on IDO over this  :rotflmao: regarding permanent stands

My understanding is it was natives stands. On a trailer, to me that's not a permanent stand!!

Oh and we are north of bowstring in the chippewa national  forest. My permanent  :sleazy: stand is on the leech lake res! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the whole thing is hilarious. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Good thing the DNR didn't get rid of fish houses this way.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it's funny also lps, thing is TT most fish houses make it off the lake. I believe the DNR should keep going thru the woods and gettem all. If ya wanna use state lands as your play ground bring a portable and take it out when your done.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
You not telling us something Glenn

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sports/northland-outdoors/dnr-to-pick-up-mess-after-dynamiting-itasca-county-deer-stands
I agree they need to be removed but It's total BS some rogue cowboy DNR folks made a bigger mess then need be. They could have used a backhoe and flat bed and loaded it up.  :bs:
« Last Edit: April 04/30/24, 09:16:53 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
for those adamant about removing stands that are permanent..........when your hunting state land..........do you pick up all your spent shells.......that is littering and not legal??????

just curious!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sports/northland-outdoors/dnr-to-pick-up-mess-after-dynamiting-itasca-county-deer-stands
I agree they need to be removed but It's total BS some rogue cowboy DNR folks made a bigger mess then need be. They could have used a backhoe and flat bad and loaded it up.  :bs:

That's not near as fun as dynamite.  I mean really dynamite.  LOLOLOL

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
for those adamant about removing stands that are permanent..........when your hunting state land..........do you pick up all your spent shells.......that is littering and not legal??????

I have never put a screw or nail in a tree outside what I own, but a shotgun shell or two on a trail is pretty small compared to the crap that gets hauled in the woods yrly.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I agree they need to be removed but It's total BS some rogue cowboy DNR folks made a bigger mess then need be. They could have used a backhoe and flat bad and loaded it up.  :bs:

they were on trailers so they could have just aired the tires and pulled them out...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I have never put a screw or nail in a tree outside what I own, but a shotgun shell or two on a trail is pretty small compared to the crap that gets hauled in the woods yrly.
:happy1: just for the sake of discussion.....whats the difference....still not legal.

i cant speak for anyone else, but when i replace boards........the old crappy stuff comes out with me.

and for the record......i dont think where my stand is is private only to me!!!!!! not that stupid!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/30/24, 07:02:37 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

:happy1: just for the sake of discussion.....whats the difference....still not legal.

i cant speak for anyone else, but when i replace boards........the old crappy stuff comes out with me.

Yep you said it yourself,  still not legal what you guys do. Bringing out old boards don't cut it, Bringing nothing in does.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Dang, I shoulda took part in the IDO thread,  bet I coulda made new friends...lol.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess everyone is entitled to there opinion.  :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah yes Bobber. It is legal to put up permanent stands on State Forest Land. WMAs are a different story.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
When did that change?  I thought it has been years since you could build permanent stands on state forest land.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Been that way for as far back as I can remember. They never changed it that you couldn't. They did make so that people can't have condos on state Forest Land though. Maybe that is what you are thinking. Only thing they said when I emailed them was that the stands become public and anyone can use them.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm not for them going out and blowing up or tearing down good stands.  But, they reported that they had been out there for decades.  If their old rotted not used, they should be removed.  The DNR guys knew they were out there, and they should have had them removed at the first sight of non use.  Not having fun on the tax payers dime and making a bigger mess!   :undecided:  P.s I returned a lot of lead, copper and brass to old mother nature from whence they come over the years!   :happy1:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 04/30/24, 09:29:00 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Just my opinion but if you want a permanent stand then buy the land to put it on.  So many PIGS build stands and then just leave them when they start to break down.  If they want to do that then buy the land and build all you want.  Even let the eye sore rot if you want to.  But too many come to public land and feel it is "theirs" to use as they see fit.  Some think because they have been hunting there for years they have rite of service....things change. Rules change most often because of some.   Again buy the land and do what you want to with it. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I personally have not built a permanent stand on state Forest Land. Yet. I normally use ladder stands. More comfortable and probably cheaper than the lumber to build one. That being said. More and more I am thinking of building permanent stands because a holes have stolen my ladder stands. I have had 3 disappear on me over the last 10 years. Cable locks don't even keep them honest. At least a platform nailed to a tree won't grow legs.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
In the story it did say they had left notes and contacted their relatives and said to move them.  I am sure the tires were all rotted and not holding air after that long.  But still shouldn't have blown them up even though it felt great to do it.  As it said they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I personally have not built a permanent stand on state Forest Land. Yet. I normally use ladder stands. More comfortable and probably cheaper than the lumber to build one. That being said. More and more I am thinking of building permanent stands because a holes have stolen my ladder stands. I have had 3 disappear on me over the last 10 years. Cable locks don't even keep them honest. At least a platform nailed to a tree won't grow legs.

Unfortunately the same jackwagons who would steal your stands would probably just destroy it. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just my opinion but if you want a permanent stand then buy the land to put it on.  So many PIGS build stands and then just leave them when they start to break down.  If they want to do that then buy the land and build all you want.  Even let the eye sore rot if you want to.  But too many come to public land and feel it is "theirs" to use as they see fit.  Some think because they have been hunting there for years they have rite of service....things change. Rules change most often because of some.   Again buy the land and do what you want to with it.
how do you going about buying land from the state or federal government???? isnt it already owned by..WE THE PEOPLE??? i've been paying my fair share, probably more, taxes since 16 years old.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You can keep a portable out overnight now can't you?  So you can hunt there again tomorrow.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
how do you going about buying land from the state or federal government???? isnt it already owned by..WE THE PEOPLE??? i've been paying my fair share, probably more, taxes since 16 years old.

Plenty of private land for sale!!!!!!!!!  Sure the state and fed land is owned by "we the people" but we the people cannot behave themselves so rules have had to be made.   People get the attitude that since they pay taxes on it they can destroy it or stake it out as theirs. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
for the record........i'm not one of those that seem to think just because the stand or area i deer hunt in for the past 30 plus years is mine. nor do i destroy it......i usually leave it better when i'm done. less garbage for sure!!!!if that were the case..i'd think i'd i have alot of places up there!!!! :rotflmao:

i cant and wont speak for anyone else!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my last post on the subject.........if or when i get told it has to be removed...i'll take it down and haul it all out and figure something else out. until then.......................................................
« Last Edit: May 05/01/24, 09:31:15 AM by glenn57 »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
i cant and wont speak for anyone else!!!!!

You just said it all right there.   So unfortunately they issue rules in the means of a blanket policy.  Some ruin it for others.  I bet on any given days walking I could find you at least a dozen old stands in the woods that have just been left with carpet hanging from the trees and other garbage laying around them.   

Hell I had a guy build one on mine one year.  A fully enclosed box stand.   Claims it wasn't posted, which it is, so the kids can hunt there.  He thought or felt he could and was determined he WAS hunting there.  I informed him it was private and he basically said big deal he claimed to have hunted there before.   Right up until the morning before opener he was still bringing stuff in to that stand.   

On opener his stand was gone.  Well it was there but just not standing or "useable" we will say.    He even had the stupid idea of calling the SO to have me charged with damage to his personal property.   All said and done he got a $1500 fine for trespassing, worked his way into disorderly conduct, lost his hunting privilege's for 2 years, and lost his heater with some other equipment too.  Including a really nice spotting scope that did not break and is sitting on my deck right now.   

Right there are the kind of jackass pigs that ruin things for others.   NOT stating all but so many come up to this area to hunt and they are complete asses.  They feel any land is theirs to use however they want.  After all it is just wooded land.  Well...its my wooded land.  Most these days can't hunt without their ATVs so they tear stuff up and just think that is perfectly fine.   They treat state and gov land no different.