Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: fast food  (Read 3527 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      At the risk of sounding like an alien, I have never had lefse. No idea what it is. Never had lutefisk, either.
      Do I have to give back my Minnesota citizenship? Just when we got a new flag, too. Darnit. I was liking it here.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Scandinavians enjoy it, it's a very then thin round pastry usually hand made then you can put what ever you want on it to eat it..

now lutefisk that's another story!!!   when have a feed they usually serve meat balls too...  that would be the only thing I'd eat!!!   the fish is nasty to me..

and keep your card!!!    :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
If you have to give up your card, I guess I'll have to give up 1/2 of mine as well. I grew up eating lefse a fair amount. I like it when fresh with a little butter spread on it and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and rolled up. As far as the lutefisk goes, the smell and the process of making it has always stopped me from trying it. I am normally rather open minded when it comes to trying new foods, but I simply have never got up the nerve to try it. 
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like lefsa but lutefisk I try with lots of butter but just haven't gotten to like it.  People roll the lutefisk up in the lefsa I guess.  I too like the meatballs better.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mrs. Cheviot is a half-breed Norsk so I was indoctrinated into the cult in my early 20's. Tiegen's in Oslo was where everyone bought their lutefisk, oysters, and bulk pickled herring back in the day. Her full-blood Mom also made the thinnest lefse I've ever seen. There is one brand in the store that gets close. I like it with Hope creamery butter & brown sugar or jam. She actually made tolerable lutefisk too. I didn't heap my plate but I ate my fair share. I ate my fair share of everything else while I was at it including oyster stew, pickled herring, rosettes and all the little Norwegian krumkake thingies. After I'd leave, her Mom told her, "Boy, for a little guy he can really pack it away!"
« Last Edit: December 12/19/23, 04:13:58 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Iffin you gotta eat lutefisk you can't catch fish. :puke:

Hanish bakery in red wing makes good lefsa.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Love oyster stew and herring.  We always stock up when we go by Morey's.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Big Lefse family here, ma and pa passed down all the tools needed for homemade. Helped the Mrs a few weeks back make 14 batches,  I feel sorry for the gal in the article,  she makes ALOT! Anyway ma and pa a few years back wanted to start a Lutifisk tradition for xmas...nope, they come here now and eat what I make..lol.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Big Lefse family here, ma and pa passed down all the tools needed for homemade. Helped the Mrs a few weeks back make 14 batches,  I feel sorry for the gal in the article,  she makes ALOT! Anyway ma and pa a few years back wanted to start a Lutifisk tradition for xmas...nope, they come here now and eat what I make..lol.
:scratch: :scratch: lutefisk soaked in Bucsh lattes???????????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

boar tells me you know all there is to know about not catching fish... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

boar tells me you know all there is to know about not catching fish... :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :bonk: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
My first wife was 100% Norwegian and her father emigrated from Norway as a young man. The women in the family, MIL, SIL, wife got together every year for a big lefse making session. It was better than the store bought stuff, but needed butter, cinnamon, brown sugar or some type of topping to really have much in the way of flavor.
Christmas Eve dinner always included lutefisk that they prepared in a lots-of-work traditional Norwegian way involving cheese cloth. Being 100% Irish, I never could handle more than a forkful.
The cheese that was sent over from Norway was also something I couldn’t eat, and I like cheese. It had a really strong “aroma”.  The chocolates were really good.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
As a youngster we had lefse, lutefisk and oyster stew every Christmas at Grandma's. This was much to the disappointment of my Irish uncle and his kids. Now its just my brother and I that eat fish and that's not very often. There is one way to cook lutefisk and I think this way is the best. Put fish in cheesecloth and soak in well water for seven days changing the water twice a day. Put fish, still in cheesecloth, into pot and heat to a boil. Once it come to a boil remove heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Remove from cheesecloth and serve with melted butter, salt and pepper. Good eats. :happy1: :happy1:   
mm

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman

Good stuff.  I just picked up some of the Lingen Berry herring there.   That lutefisk.....they can keep that crap.  NOT my thing.  Fish soaked in lye...label on lye says "caution this may kill you" but lets soak our fish in it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no doubt they use walleyes for lutefisk.........at least that way it'll have some flavor!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nerd: :nerd: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fun to hear the stories.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Ever see a brown GMC pickup parked there when you're going by? :whistling:     ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 12/20/23, 02:27:38 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Ever see a brown GMC pickup parked there when your going by? :whistling:     ;) ;D ;D
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: PUTZ!!!!!!! :rotflmao: i never seen that brown GMC at your place???? where do you park it???? :rotflmao:

first off that brown truck was a chevy and i havent had that in 3 years.

secondly the current truck is gray...and a GMC!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lessee, gray GMC pickup. Yep, saw it when I went past there back in October!  :coffee:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Lessee, gray GMC pickup. Yep, saw it when I went past there back in October!  :coffee:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :tut: yea no you didnt......and iffin ya did it wasnt mine!!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
now that's a new one to me!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would try it.  Love that area.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of Norwegian delicacies.
https://youtu.be/5lYpsuqaRUo?feature=shared
Watched that last night.  Might try the regular one without the blood added!    :puke:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Was hangin around at Grandma's once when they made blood sausage & head cheese. All I really remember was how nasty it smelled. Never got the urge to try either 1 of those after that.  :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That whole blood thing on Andrew Zimmer shows kind of puts me off too.  The liver, kidney, lung, brain thing doesn't really make me hungry neither.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Was hangin around at Grandma's once when they made blood sausage & head cheese. All I really remember was how nasty it smelled. Never got the urge to try either 1 of those after that.  :rolleyes:

Tell me about it the smell was terrible and just look at it. Who in there right mind would eat that?  :puke:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
back in the old days we made blood and liver sausage. homemade was really good. we got the reciepe from my dads uncle and think he was in cahoots with plantenbergs. in the blood sausage there really wasnt all that much blood put into it.

i dont recall things like the brain kidney or or lung being put in.