Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bass fishing team.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I just saw on the news that Minnesota State Mankato, aside from having two national champion basketball teams, also has a bass fishing team. Not sure why that impressed me so much but it did.
      How popular are teams like this and shooting teams? High school and college.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
At first I thought of the thread MNO  was putting a bass team together,  my bad. From what I read bass fishing teams are getting bigger every year in high school,  hopefully it'll take off someday.  Just another way of getting kids on the water if ya aks me.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Bass fishing in high school ?

The MN legislature better quick ban lead sinkers to keep those developing minds and bodies from being exposed to dangerous toxins.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I do recall some high school trap teams. If memory serves (I may be all wet on this), schools allowed teams to use the school name but, for legal reasons, could not or would not financially support these teams.
      Clarification here would be appreciated.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
      I do recall some high school trap teams. If memory serves (I may be all wet on this), schools allowed teams to use the school name but, for legal reasons, could not or would not financially support these teams.
      Clarification here would be appreciated.

tangle tooth That is correct. The schools can not financially support trap shooting. This is why the kids come around and ask for donations from MDHA and other sportsmen groups. But they have no problem charging the kids $35.00 each for some participation fee through the school.
Steve-o there is a bill being introduced in St. Paul by a sen. or rep. from Duluth to ban ALL lead in Minnesota. From sinkers to bullets to all lead shot. This will end ALL shooting sports as we know it. Ask 15,000 trap shooting high school kids how they feel about it. I'm just curious if she wants to include car batteries. I believe they should be inculded too, after all they are made of lead too.
 The bass leagues are gaining more kids every year. Great thing, only wish we had it back in the 70ies. (I'm getting old.) :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/02/24, 07:11:28 AM by markn »
mm

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Thank you.

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
High school bass fishing and trap is big. My son is in both. Trap is much bigger with 80 kids and bass fishing luge is around 30. Bass has not got going yet so I am only guessing the number from last year.

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I should add I have 3 nephews in trap and 2 in fishing high school leagues. It’s a lot of fun watching them. Fishing league can be hard since I am not allowed to run the boat or fish. My trolling motor stopped working last year after the kids smashed into multiple items I pre warned them about.  :angry2:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Good to know, Rod. Thanks. Is there any outside endorsements or sponsorship allowed at the high school level? Corporate or outdoors organizations?

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The back of the jersey for fishing league is covered with sponsors. Like JT outdoors. I am not sure what they did to get their name on the jersey. We did receive a onetime discount for an open water rod from them. No visible sponsors for Trap. He will receive a high school letter in both leagues.