Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 646476 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
on wed last week i stopped at the spring lake store to get some pepper jack cheese....really good and comes from Bemidji!!!! anyway the gal that was working used to own the store with her hubby, still works there. i've known her for as long as i remember. we got to talking. she was saying this past winter was a pretty tough on the small business owners.

first she said there isnt near as many deer hunters as in the recent past, wonder why?? :scratch: :evil: i know bear hunters in that general area is pretty non-existent too!! she said with the lack of snow and bad ice there wasnt a lot of activity up there. she said the Timberwolf always has people there staying, and there right on the grant in aid snowmobile trail, but they were pretty empty all winter.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure it was the same for Tim & Chris at the Bstore, & they get a lot more traffic by there. He never mentioned it 'til we asked if he'd plowed our place, cause it looked like somebody had been there.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Pat had a post on Nextdoor yday with some pics of our access being torn up. A couple of slabs had buckled & a couple more in the water had separated. :rolleyes: He called the DNR & they told him that it's like that all over & it's from the water level being so low. They were working on fixing 'em but it might take a bit.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We have them on our access abd they were fine!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Official ice-out here has been adjusted to a week ago today, according to the lake association. It looked like the DNR still had their nets/pens set up over on Lil' Cutfoot to me too. :scratch: I didn't see any people or pelicans over there, however. :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
According to Sundins report earlier this week most the walleye weren't really all that ready.  He Aldo said by the end of the week they should have there 900 qts

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Who is Aldo? :confused:   ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: So where is W.......ALDO???? :nerd: :sleazy:      :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY Gunner.........on your trip for the paper......stop and tell Geigers to get there webcam fixed!!!!!!  :happy1: :rotflmao: its been down foe 3-4 days!!! :surrender:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: Give 'em a ring, I'm sure they'll get right on it for you. :doah:  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: Heard this morning that Snug Harbor has no harbor. Water's too low to go over the outside edge. Neighbor was over talking to Lakewood when he was up. All of their floating dock is sitting on bare ground along the shore over there. The 2 longest sections must be at least 60-80', maybe 100', long. :oops1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a local tell me that the DNR had already been to the Bowstring CR 35 access as well as Big & Little Jessie's. So, with it being so nice yday I took the wheeler down to the Northern Acres 1. Nothin done there & there's 2-3' of mud at the end of the concrete, so it's not usable. My brother rode over to our access it was fixed & the dock was in. It looked like 1 of the barge guys was on the lake, probably JJ & up at Island View, helping put in gear. Might need to run 1 of the new dock sections along the shore to get deep enough this year. It needs a little fabrication before we can use it that way though. We'll be out an extra 14' then, 54' total, with the roll-out.
« Last Edit: April 04/26/24, 07:22:29 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a lot of dock.

Offline Olie67

Bowstring is so low right now, I can't imagine what it's going to be by mid-summer.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Unless we get some serious rain here I plan to add 100' to mine.  I have 2- 50' sections ready to add on.  Last year I had 74' out and had to pull the boat in because it got to shallow.   The lift never made it in the lake last year.    3 neighbors have their docks in but they have their lifts sitting on shore. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Bowstring is so low right now, I can't imagine what it's going to be by mid-summer.
in all the years that i have been going to that area, since about 1965, i have never seen the lakes that low as they are now!!!!!!! even some of the smaller ponds/puddles on the way up had no water in them.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet we had at least 5-6 lifts just on this end of the lake that weren't being used anymore by mid to late August last year. Ours had about 1/2 of it out past the end of our dock by the time we left in November.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That stinks you guys,  lack of snow and frost is showing it's ugliest.  Our place if the water is to high with big winds the run away bogs are all over. Low water we can't get thru a channel to the fish. Gotta take what the coarse gives ya and make the best of it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That stinks you guys,  lack of snow and frost is showing it's ugliest.  Our place if the water is to high with big winds the run away bogs are all over. Low water we can't get thru a channel to the fish. Gotta take what the coarse gives ya and make the best of it.
i know where you catch those elusive sheepies!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao: you could always trailer it to the access.  :happy1: :happy1: but iffin its like when we fished it a few years ya best get there by 5 am or ya gotta walk a half mile to park!!! :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
i know where you catch those elusive sheepies!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao: you could always trailer it to the access.  :happy1: :happy1: but iffin its like when we fished it a few years ya best get there by 5 am or ya gotta walk a half mile to park!!! :confused:
Yep had to do that a couple of times, bout 6am the launch is pretty busy.