Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: turkey pics  (Read 2420 times)

Offline beerguy

• Outdoorsman
Show off that bird. let see them birds
walk the extra distance till you are alone!!

BG

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hi Beerguy,

My son and I just got invited to hunt on relatives land in west central WI.? This will be my first attempt at a Turkey so I don't know............ If we get lucky I'll certainly make sure I get some pictures up for you.

It just so happened that some hunters that were filming a hunt on their place last weekend were staying at the same motel that me and my family were.? These guys bagged a very nice Tom and we had the good fortune of being able to take a look.?

WOW is all I can say.? That was the first time I had ever seen one of these magnificent birds up close.? They are truly a beautiful gift from the gods!? Well, that's all it took - considering my little car gets great milage and the motel costs next to nothing I decided to take a fall adventure this year to see if we may be able to tangle with some of those bad boys.? I have several other hunts (squirrels, grouse, etc.) and fishing trips tied into these plans too ;D.?

That evening we went to visit our relatives on the farm and get told that I have to come down next spring to go turkey hunting with my cousin-in-law Gary!? AND we got invited to go deer hunting too!!! YEEHAWWW Talk about make my day!!!?My son Jake is really itching to bag a few of those critters and I have to say so am I ;D.? It will be a blast I'm sure!? I used to hunt in that area when I was a kid and I already am familair with a lot of it.? That will help I'm sure.? And regardless of how we do hunting, it will be a trip to remember!? Spending 9 or 10 days lolly gagging in those beautiful hills and valleys is going to be good for the soul! I have done VERY little hunting over the last 3 years and I know it will be very thereapuedick :D.

As we were leaving we put two and two together and realized the guys who were filming there were also at our motel.? Weird.

Gary said last fall on the big hill across from their house, they would often see a flock of 90 birds or so up there feeding.? Well I guess I have to say I am a just a bit EXCITED to be going on my first turkey hunt!

Oh BTW - I took a picture of that bird those guys harvested.? I can try to put it up but won't have access to the PC it is stored on until Friday. It is not a real good photo either, the bird is half in / out of the sunlight.

Offline beerguy

• Outdoorsman
Hey Dr. Bob,

Sounds Like you and your son have a good time planned. There is not much that beats the sound of that gobbler coming to the call. I have been watching a flock of birds on a job site the last couple days and it is getting the blood pumping. Its pretty cool to listen to the hens yelping and putting as they do there thing. The tom "the boss" is pretty quiet, but he sure puts an a show. I really hope you get your son and "you as well"  on a tom he will be talking about it for some time. What zone are you hunting in I may be able to get you some more land to hunt. You can never have enough. One thing to remember is dint over call, let them birds come off roost then give them the sound of love. And get as  close to the roost as you can, the closer the better. Just take your time getting there. My seanon starts next Wensday and I cant wait. I wont be able to go till Saturday unless it rains, my luck it will be cold and windy the 2 days I have. But thats how it goes.

Good  luck.

BG                   

walk the extra distance till you are alone!!

BG

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good Luck Beerguy.

I hope you shwack a big gobbler this weekend!

We will be hunting in zone #7.  I am not sure just what will happen this fall, but we will be hunting turkeys for sure next spring.  This first trip may end up being more of a scouting trip as far as turkeys go.  I have a bunch to learn before I go after them.  I can hardly wait I know that!!!