Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Planted some plots on Monday  (Read 2917 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Monday was a good day to plant some food plots. Especially since we got a good inch of pounding rain on Tuesday.  The rain should have pounded the seeds into the worked soil. The pictures are taken in the same plot. It has lobs, islands, and points. Great spot in the woods.  The ground was soft and the little disk did a great job.  The rains came and now it should take off.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I’m curious if you used the wheeler to disk?
If so where’d you get it?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
birdswacker,

These pictures are from last year.  I use a Grizzly 700 to pull the disk. I has no problem.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive got a question. i can only get to my plot after wheat harvest.  im gonna work it up with skid steer tiller, isbther something i can plant at that time or is it to late.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Winter wheat seeding dates
Home Crop production Small grains Planting small grains Winter wheat seeding dates
To retain snow during the winter, directly seed winter wheat into standing crop stubble. Snow insulates, protecting the crown of winter wheat from the potentially lethal temperatures common to Minnesota winters.

Snow depth
Standing stubble maintains a cooler soil environment so the plant doesn't break dormancy as early in the spring or during a mid-winter thaw, as plants grown on bare ground do. Three inches of snow provides sufficient insulation during most winters, and 4 to 6 inches will further reduce winter kill (Table 1).

Table 1: Predicted daily minimum temperatures at crown depth
Snow depth   -22F   -44F
1.2 to 2.5 inches   0.9 F   -9.9 F
2.5 to 3.5 inches   6.1 F   -3.6 F
3.5 to 4.7 inches   11.1 F   2.5 F
More than 4.7 inches   20.5 F   18.1 F
Direct seeding
You can direct seed winter wheat into a wide range of standing crop residues, though best results are obtained when seeding winter wheat into standing stubble of early maturing crops such as barley and canola.

Seeding into wheat stubble increases the risk of residue-born diseases, but even this practice is preferred to seeding into clean, tilled fields for moisture conservation and reduction of winter kill.

Open all  |  Close all
 Following alfalfa
 Following soybean
Optimal direct seeding dates
A delay in planting past the optimum seeding date increases the risk for winter kill and can reduce grain yield. This is because the crowns won’t be as well developed and the plant will have had less opportunity to store nutrients (Figure 2).

Table 2: Optimum date for direct seeding winter wheat into standing stubble in Minnesota.
Location   Date
South of Interstate 90   Sept. 20 to Oct. 10
South of Interstate 94   Sept. 10 to Sept. 30
North of Interstate 94   Sept. 1 to Sept. 15
Likewise, seeding too early can result in excessive growth in the fall, making plants more vulnerable to winter kill.

Early planting can also create a green bridge, or overlap, between hosts such as volunteer wheat and the emerging winter wheat. This allows many important winter wheat pests to spread to the new winter wheat.

For example, seedling infections of barley yellow dwarf virus and wheat streak mosaic virus can dramatically reduce grain yield.

Growth stage and survivability
Plants that have initiated the first tillers are at the optimum growth stage to go dormant, while plants with two to three tillers will generally survive the winter well.

Plants with only the first leaf emerged can survive Minnesota winters. However, late planting poses the risk of not meeting the vernalization requirement – a physiological change that enables reproductive growth – before dormancy. This will delay maturity the next summer (Figure 3).

Establishing winter wheat
Research in northwest Minnesota has demonstrated that winter wheat can be established well with little risk of winter kill when seeding immediately following soybean harvest in the first days of October.

In the years the research was conducted, the winter wheat was seeded on Oct. 1, immediately following soybean harvest. Growing conditions in the first two weeks of October were mild enough that the winter wheat germinated and the first true leaf emerged prior to the first killing frost, forcing dormancy in the third to fourth week of October.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar, a lot of times we would plant our plots around the end of August. We would put in dwarf essox rape and winter rye or winter oats. It would usually be around 6"-10" tall by the time it got to first frost. The rye stays green and the rape turns to a sugar after it freezes. Deer really liked it. Good luck.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
awesime! thanks guys!!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ive got a question. i can only get to my plot after wheat harvest.  im gonna work it up with skid steer tiller, isbther something i can plant at that time or is it to late.
so your plot is pretty much landlocked and cant get at it until the crop is harvested????? there isnt a little trail/road that you can access it somehow????

how does this farmer get to his crop??????

good luck bud!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
it is land lock with crops, always is ive wheat on the south side of it . which sucks cause wheat fets panted fisrt so any spri g maintenance is very short. the it roates to beans  which makes the spring maitenance a little more elbow room. but wheat is generally off mid august and beans oct. so windows of opportunigy vary. i cant approa h frombtje north cause of 2 rivvers that meet in the middle.
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Winter wheat seeding dates
Home Crop production Small grains Planting small grains Winter wheat seeding dates
To retain snow during the winter, directly seed winter wheat into standing crop stubble. Snow insulates, protecting the crown of winter wheat from the potentially lethal temperatures common to Minnesota winters.

Snow depth
Standing stubble maintains a cooler soil environment so the plant doesn't break dormancy as early in the spring or during a mid-winter thaw, as plants grown on bare ground do. Three inches of snow provides sufficient insulation during most winters, and 4 to 6 inches will further reduce winter kill (Table 1).

Table 1: Predicted daily minimum temperatures at crown depth
Snow depth   -22F   -44F
1.2 to 2.5 inches   0.9 F   -9.9 F
2.5 to 3.5 inches   6.1 F   -3.6 F
3.5 to 4.7 inches   11.1 F   2.5 F
More than 4.7 inches   20.5 F   18.1 F
Direct seeding
You can direct seed winter wheat into a wide range of standing crop residues, though best results are obtained when seeding winter wheat into standing stubble of early maturing crops such as barley and canola.

Seeding into wheat stubble increases the risk of residue-born diseases, but even this practice is preferred to seeding into clean, tilled fields for moisture conservation and reduction of winter kill.

Open all  |  Close all
 Following alfalfa
 Following soybean
Optimal direct seeding dates
A delay in planting past the optimum seeding date increases the risk for winter kill and can reduce grain yield. This is because the crowns won’t be as well developed and the plant will have had less opportunity to store nutrients (Figure 2).

Table 2: Optimum date for direct seeding winter wheat into standing stubble in Minnesota.
Location   Date
South of Interstate 90   Sept. 20 to Oct. 10
South of Interstate 94   Sept. 10 to Sept. 30
North of Interstate 94   Sept. 1 to Sept. 15
Likewise, seeding too early can result in excessive growth in the fall, making plants more vulnerable to winter kill.

Early planting can also create a green bridge, or overlap, between hosts such as volunteer wheat and the emerging winter wheat. This allows many important winter wheat pests to spread to the new winter wheat.

For example, seedling infections of barley yellow dwarf virus and wheat streak mosaic virus can dramatically reduce grain yield.

Growth stage and survivability
Plants that have initiated the first tillers are at the optimum growth stage to go dormant, while plants with two to three tillers will generally survive the winter well.

Plants with only the first leaf emerged can survive Minnesota winters. However, late planting poses the risk of not meeting the vernalization requirement – a physiological change that enables reproductive growth – before dormancy. This will delay maturity the next summer (Figure 3).

Establishing winter wheat
Research in northwest Minnesota has demonstrated that winter wheat can be established well with little risk of winter kill when seeding immediately following soybean harvest in the first days of October.

In the years the research was conducted, the winter wheat was seeded on Oct. 1, immediately following soybean harvest. Growing conditions in the first two weeks of October were mild enough that the winter wheat germinated and the first true leaf emerged prior to the first killing frost, forcing dormancy in the third to fourth week of October.

Used to deal with a guy by the name of John Leppert at Sarles ND when I was first out of college and living in north central ND. He was pioneering no-till winter wheat at that time and making the system work. It was primarily into wheat stubble, probably durum or maybe even barley stubble at that time. Pretty sure he got into soybeans too as time went on and more adapted varieties became available. He was right up on the Canadian border out in the wide open spaces so no reason to believe it can't be done.   
« Last Edit: July 07/27/20, 11:53:52 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline oldbuck47

• Minnow
So far we have had great luck with planting cereal rye up to Sept 1st. Use it if one of our plots fail for any reason. Till and plant rye (not rye grass) by Sept 1 and by end of Oct is great shape. Have mixed in a little radish to give deer something to eat while rye gets up... just saying... this plot failed this year so sprayed it two weeks ago then tilled last weekend with till once more and plant 3rd weekend in August
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject
     something you don't know anything about

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I planted this plot on July 22.  Looks pretty good so far.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!