Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 301596 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Word has it last weekend we had 5 loons on the cabin waters. What's up with the little birds, they nesting already? I havnt filled a feeder since Monday.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Word has it last weekend we had 5 loons on the cabin waters. What's up with the little birds, they nesting already? I havnt filled a feeder since Monday.
i highly doubt there nesting yet.......with the snow gone they could be feeding on other things.

i'm finally getting a few more birds!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen a couple of robins here tonight.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't anyone ever really get any Blue Bird in the blue bird houses?  I have 3 at my new house but didn't see anything use them last year? 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't anyone ever really get any Blue Bird in the blue bird houses?  I have 3 at my new house but didn't see anything use them last year?
Leech, 2 or 3 years ago the bluebirds took a serious hit to the population.

On there migration north, a pretty bad snowstorm hit the bluebirds hard. I had a pair last year for the first time in a while. They won't be around till more bugs are out

Also those houses need to be cleaned out every year. Barn swallow like using them to 
« Last Edit: April 04/04/24, 07:41:07 PM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and wrens and sparrows too...    :tut:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Flicking wrens.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

On there migration north, a pretty bad snowstorm hit the bluebirds hard. I had a pair last year for the first time in a while. They won't be around till more bugs are out

Also those houses need to be cleaned out every year. Barn swallow like using them to
All 3 boxes were replace new as the old ones that were there looked like Red squirrels made the holes as big and worn out as Stormy Daniels!  :doah:
« Last Edit: April 04/05/24, 08:20:15 AM by Leech~~ »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

All 3 boxes were replace new as the old ones that were there looked like Red squirrels made the holes as big and worn out as Stormy Daniels!  :doah:
:scratch: :scratch: and Leech...........how exactly do you know how big and worn  Stormy is????? :scratch: :doah: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I heard she's into sasquatch... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: :scratch: and Leech...........how exactly do you know how big and worn  Stormy is????? :scratch: :doah: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
MSNBC told me Trump, said so! 🤭

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The Grackles showed up the otter day, hitting all the feeders even the suet. Today the red wing blackbirds came around.  That's a sound of spring fishing for us, with them hanging around the cattails.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they been here a few days now..  and they are all over the yard with the rain getting food and nesting material
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Grackles here too. They like to clean out the one sunflower feeder. Luckily Poppy likes chasing them. Restocked the thistle feeders & the goldfinches came out of the woodwork.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Robins all over the place today.  Waiting for our favorites the tree swallows.  They nest here every year.  We did have a bluebird a couple of years ago.  Was real friendly and sat on the deck near us many times.  Hope her offspring comes back. 
« Last Edit: April 04/07/24, 07:22:02 PM by LPS »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Grackles showed up here yesterday too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just watched a hen and drake mallard under the sunflower feeders........ :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Grackles showed up here yesterday too.

Haven't seen a grackle here yet but I have the ol Targetmaster ready to go. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      If anyone needs a few (hundred) grackles or starlings, I can set you up . Just let me know.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I might have seen a flocking wren. Not positive.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A flocking wren.  That is creative.  LOL  Saw the first morning dove on the power line right by the house.  Must have been tired as heck since she was there for a few hours all in one spot.  Well maybe an hour and a half. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We has lots a wrens at the cabin,  gramps had us kids make houses( something to do I'm sure). Believe it or not some are still on tree's,  kinda in tough shape but we're talking over 40 yrs ago. The house finches have been regular visitors this week and it seems the gold finches are turning more brightly by the day.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Not a bird but, we saw at least 6 red admiral butterflies.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't remember exactly where you're at tt but I know it's down in this latitude somewhere. Got a text Saturday from my pal, the Boy Entomologist, and he mentioned he had red admirals over by New Ulm. Their appearance in the spring frequently coincides with the arrival of black cutworm moths. Both are blown up here from the south. Sure enough, a couple days ago there were significant captures in the Brown Co. trap. Both of us in the office also had a black cutworm moth in our traps yesterday morning. The weekend weather system was ideal for their northward migration. 

http://www.minnesotaseasons.com/Insects/red_admiral.html

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Makes sense, Dotch. I'm in SW Blue Earth County.