Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 deer season.  (Read 26918 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
guess starting Aug 1 you can begin purchasing deer license and applying for ANTERLESS PERMITS.  deadline to apply for the permit is sept 7th.

area 169 where my brother hunts really got wacked down with permits.......only 25 are being issued. brother is a sconnie said he's gonna duck hunt for the cost of an out of state license!!! :rotflmao:

area 197......where i hunt is giving out 500. i pulled one last year so the likely hood of me getting one is very slim to none.......my kid could get one though!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Still trying huh?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I dont try. O
It just happens
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
At deer camp they dropped us to hunters choice. Up at home it is still 3 deer. Not sure why, because the population is certainly down. Except in our yard.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a question - Zone 197 (Leech Lake) related...  Do the tribes need to purchase MN hunting licenses to hunt deer? 

The DNR has elected to NOT make this explicit one way or the other in the synopsis.  I don't care one way or another, but I was just curious.  If they do purchase a license, they are automatically entered in the antlerless lottery and there are only 500 permits available for 197.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm not sure if they are required to purchase a license or not?????

i have heard however that the anti-hunters and some natives do apply for the anterless to negate others from getting one!!!! :doofus: :bonk:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, it ain't enough that some folks can take as much as they want, but they want to keep others from being able to get at what little is left over.  That isn't necessarily bad DNR management.  Sadly, its human nature.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I bought a bunch of hunting licenses today. I had the 6 licenses documented with the name, DNR code, and cost. It still took the gal a half hour to complete and she had to delete everything and start over a couple times. Finally I ask if I could look at her screen I found the problem, on screen it would display 5 of the 6 purchases. I order to see the last one you simple had to scroll down!  At any rate I now have a fall turkey, Bear, deer archery, early deer license, a bonus tag and renewed my lifetime rifle deer license.  :azn:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had to do that before too...  ask to look at the screen.  It was back when MN first went to this version of the ELS system they are using now.  The kid couldn't figure out how to get to the right menu to find what I was asking for.  They didn't understand DNR licenses and they didn't understand the way programmers write software packages.  But we got 'er figured out.

I wonder...  How long has it been since the DNR issued stamped metal tags?   :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I remember them well. Guys used to put the metal tag around a deer leg and hold it there so they could snap it shut if they got stopped by the warden. Then if they didn't close it, they could go hunting again. LOL.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Steve-o,
From the 2023 hunting regs.

"Is anyone allowed to hunt outside of state established deer seasons?
Indian bands may be hunting big game by firearms before and after state
firearms seasons."

"Lands of the Red Lake Band of Ojibwe
Lands belonging to the Red Lake Band of Ojibwe in Beltrami, Koochiching, Lake of
the Woods, and Roseau counties are closed to non-band members except by special
authorization of the tribal council. Persons taking, tagging, and transporting deer from
reservation lands on the Northwest Angle in accordance with the Red Lake Band Code
do not need a state license.
Other tribal lands
Nett Lake in Koochiching and St. Louis counties is closed to hunting by non-band
members, except for duck hunting when accompanied by a band-mem ber guide.
Other reservation lands may be open for hunting or trapping to non-band members by
authorization of the reservations. All non-band members who are hunting or trapping
on reservation lands must comply with all state regulations, including licensing."

« Last Edit: August 08/21/23, 04:58:15 PM by deadeye »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, my son works at the shell station here in town on weekends....... they first off do an excellent job of getting you a license!!

but he told me the 2023 hunting sypnosis/ book is only available online this year????? whick i think is a total crock of  :bs:

did you happen to ask for and get one????

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
From the 2023 hunting regs...
Yes, I saw some of those regs that pertain to MN citizens who can't hunt on Indian land.  My question centers around whether or not - in general - Indians need to have a MN deer license to hunt on reservation lands. 

If a DNR CO pulls over and checks an Indian on a reservation - which might include privately owned, non-reservation land - does the Indian just show the CO a tribal membership card instead of a state DNR deer license?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe the Indians have their own license system, but they are only allowed to hunt on reservation land.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe the Indians have their own license system, but they are only allowed to hunt on reservation land.
i found out first hand there pretty dead set against bear baiting on there land!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

once ifound out i looked at the GIS mapping they got little parcels of land all the hell over!!!!!!!! :crazy: :bonk:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Up here there are parcels all over that are native land.  Better be darn sure where you are at.  They are not all posted neither. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Right. Onx maps sure makes it much easier now.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They had a small (half sheet) flyer where I bought my licenses. I does say "hunting and trapping regulations are available online" however, it also indicates "printed booklet will be available late August".

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
anybody use a product called NOSE JAMMER????????

Heard some good reviews about it!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I usually have a can in my backpack. I think it works to a degree. I never experienced a negative response and have had deer walk down wind of me without them being alerted.  :azn:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So far, saw 10 deer within the first hour of sitting. Still ground hunting as I wasn’t sure of where to hang a stand in the new location but I think I found a pretty good spot…at least for morning sits.

I got busted by a few does as they got with 5-8 yards of me. Thinking I’ll try else where until the rut starts as this spot has been covered with does and a few smaller bucks mixed in…

Here’s a photo I got with two does battling to the death as a buck sneaks in through the fog to claim the winner!  (Does upper right, buck center left)

[attachment deleted by admin]
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats a great picture pulleye!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm not a deer hunter but that's really cool! You sure you need to change spots?

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
That is.neat!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That is.neat!
Yea he wasn't in a orthopedic recliner in a heated shack so he actually seen something. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cool pix. Great experience to see that.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
question..........i've heard both.......is using things like doe in heat, buck scents illegal statewide of just in certain areas.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

i looked online at the regs and couldnt find anything............

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
as far as I know they are legal in Mn
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!