Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 301641 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As if on cue, the 1st orchard oriole of the season!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think I saw a female red wing blackbird at the feeder yesterday.  Update:  What I saw in the feeder was a cowbird not a red winged blackbird. 
« Last Edit: May 05/04/24, 11:54:44 AM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Pretty certain I spotted  a Wren this  morning.  :happy1:

NO boober not her from the #5.  :confused: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a white crowned sparrow at our feeder.  Had to look it up of course.  Nice looking bird. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just read that a cowbird can lay 300 eggs a summer since they don't expend energy making a nest as they put the eggs in others nest.  I see there are even a few birds that their population has plummeted due the cowbirds using their nests.  The cowbird babies hatch earlier and they grow faster so the real birds babies get pushed out of nests and killed often. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We have a white crowned sparrow at our feeder.  Had to look it up of course.  Nice looking bird.

I really like the trifecta (white-throated, white-crowned & Harris's) when they come through every spring. I remember hearing the white-throated sparrows the 1st time when I was kid. We'd fish on Cox Lake near Zerkel & their call was distinctive. Didn't know what they were until I started hearing & seeing them here in early May 20+ years later. Now it's just not spring until we've seen all 3.
« Last Edit: May 05/04/24, 06:29:15 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
In my quest to  get wood to burn, I took a peek in that robin nest under the deck. 3 eggs. Man that didn't take long once the nest was built.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have heard you talking about the cowbirds before.  I did check out your big three of the sparrow birds too.  We have had two of them now but can't say I have seen the harris sparrow yet this spring.  I am getting better at looking birds up too. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
So my wife goes out to take pictures of her Tulips and scares off our first Oriole ever, and a Cardinal.  :pouty:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So my wife goes out to take pictures of her Tulips and scares off our first Oriole ever, and a Cardinal.  :pouty:

bird bath and they will be back, besides the bird feeders!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve got a big flock of Buffleheads on the lake right now. Never seen that here before. Noisy little buggers.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Mike's right. The orioles here put up with an afternoon of Poppy flying out the sliding glass doors chasing squirrels. After a while they just ignored her. They'll be back tomorrow morning bright and early.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
1st hummingbird just spotted at the ranch. My Mexican buddy is a good luck charm, especially after we've had a couple beers!👍

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We will get ready.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      No hummingbirds yet. Have 6 goldfinches at the feeder . Have a few Orioles around.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
goldfinches here today!!! 

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
How often are you guys changing out the humming bird juice? Still have yet to see one.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I change about once a week or little more. Depends on temperature. If it gets cloudy I change it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Exactly how we operate. Every few weeks I thoroughly clean them as part of the process. Soap & hot water. Run a q-tip thru the ports also to clean the guck out of those while I'm at it.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got ours out yesterday.  No takers yet.  I soak ours in the sink of hot water when I change water.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No hummingbirds yet, and only that one oriole.  :confused: :pouty:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first orchard oriole and an Indigo Bunting this morning.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Breaking: just saw a scarlet Tanager. Rare sighting for me.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those and a red headed woodpecker?  May you must have some good habitat for them there Roony. Those are some awesome sightings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Still on hummer watch here.  The tree swallows are loving there bird house.  I made them bigger for them a few years ago.  Sometimes a nuthatch beats them to those houses and then the swallows nest in the martin house.  Never have had a martin in it yet so glad they use it.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh no!!  roony's bird of choice  is back here, wrens!!!  might have to send a few else where...   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen my first humminbird!!

Mike don't tell Roony that, he'll wanna move in! :confused: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Those and a red headed woodpecker?  May you must have some good habitat for them there Roony. Those are some awesome sightings.
If you can rid yourself of the dang wrens you'll find that's like opening the door to some desirable songbirds.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
had 3 male orioles whilst putzing in the garden at the feeders!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they showed up here today too!!!    :happy1: :happy1: