Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Puppy picks  (Read 48448 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the cheaperbthe foodbthe crapy er it is.
yep I agree.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The lady sent me a pic of the Diamond Puppy food.  We will use that first if we can find it.  Or else order it online.  Then may switch to something that they sell here as he gets older.  We have always fed Tuffys Supreme.  My dogs have lived as long or longer than other dogs we have known.  May be more poop but it you fed the same amount of any kind you will get the same amount of poop.  I guess they feed dogs less of the expensive stuff.  I wonder if the dog is hungry or do they just get used to it?  Some of that food is $2 a lb so a 30 lb bag is over $50.  That doesn't go to far with 2 labs.  I think I pay $22 for a 40 lb bag of Tuffy's Supreme.  They sell it here too so that is part of the program.

What do you other guys feed?  Do you feed less so the price is similar?
same thing here. I've typically fed pedigree or purina.  But since fleet farm is so friggin unpredictable with what they have I always get the purina. Always seem to have that. I don't like changing dog food.

Way back when I had my black lab, spike, I bought the sprout dog food from fleet farm for bear bait. I had some leftover, figured he'd eat anything. :rotflmao: Yea he wouldn't touch it  :rotflmao: fed it to the critters up north. :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: November 11/29/20, 12:05:28 PM by glenn57 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to feed Purina but was hard to get here in town.  Have fed the Tuffy's Supreme for about 14 years now.  Less poop would be nice though.  Especially in town.  We have lots of room here but in the winter they always go in the same area and gets ugly.  I plow it back further when it snows.  LOL

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused: think my wife is more giddy in getting the puppy then I am  :doofus: :crazy: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.  The wife put up the Xmas tree today and put up stockings and wrote Cooper on one too.  That's pretty official. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pics from the lady Glenn.  The female is the black one.  She likes to do the dog pic thing. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We fed ours taste of the wild for a long time, until all the crap came out with grain free food not being good for them.  Switched to purina pro plan which has been ok but the flavors are hit or miss with the dogs. Our dogs are real active with that said ive been considering trying the purina sport with more protein and fat %..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
23 days yet. :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: What????? Where's MNO's very own "bah humbug" guy? What'd you do with him, glenn?  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
23 days till Boar is in da house!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Please stay away from the grain free foods. Labs and especially Golden’s are susceptible to dilated cardiomyopathy. I know because my dog was fed grain free Blue Buffalo wild, and developed DCM.
The vet put him on a different food for 6 months and his heart returned to the normal range. Also stay away from the cheap foods like Sprout or Old Roy. And if you don’t want your dog to develop a good case of the winds, don’t feed your dog Purina dog chow. Purina pro plan is supposed to be good.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Please stay away from the grain free foods. Labs and especially Golden’s are susceptible to dilated cardiomyopathy. I know because my dog was fed grain free Blue Buffalo wild, and developed DCM.
The vet put him on a different food for 6 months and his heart returned to the normal range. Also stay away from the cheap foods like Sprout or Old Roy. And if you don’t want your dog to develop a good case of the winds, don’t feed your dog Purina dog chow. Purina pro plan is supposed to be good.
:scratch: :scratch: i never had that with my previous labs or shelties?????? and i fed them purina.

geez you guys are making it hard to figure out what to feed them!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

pretty much narrowed it down to keeping it to the blue diamond or the pro plan though. i need to get it in my head about the grain free stuff though.......thats been pretty much an agreed upon subject.

thanks coopy!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
OK, my $.02 worth:

Lots of good dog foods out there. Some dogs are fussy. Mom's dog liked Beneful. Was softer and Mom could handle the smaller bags. I agree about the grain free thing too. If you've ever had a Lab on a farm, they go out and harvest corn to eat all by themselves! Border collies love eating sheep poop. Most dogs do.  :scratch: I can mail you some more glenn!  :rotflmao:

Our border collies have run on Diamond Performance since '97. Ruby eats it every day. She'll be 11 in 4 months and she wears us out. We started her on Diamond Puppy food as well. Many of the stock dog & sled dog breeders were feeding National when we got our first border. High energy & protein, low feeding rate, not a lot of stool. Ideal if you're gonna keep a dog kenneled. I checked into it. No distributors anywhere close. I would've had to buy it a pallet at a time. For one dog not an option. Diamond Performance or Professional as I believe it was called at the time was suggested as an alternative by the breeder. More stool but we've got ~17 acres for dogs to poop. Doesn't stop Ruby from pooping in the front yard.  :confused:       
« Last Edit: November 11/30/20, 01:54:15 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Congrats Glenn and LPS.  I’ve fed my last 3 GSP’s diamond.  Started on Diamond puppy and feed the extreme athlete during hunting season and the regular hi energy anything else.  $25 for a 50 pound bag and I feed 4 cups a day per the instructions on the bag.  He’s a lean mean hunting machine just like his owner.  They always have it at menards, runnings or fleetfarm. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats Glenn and LPS.  I’ve fed my last 3 GSP’s diamond.  Started on Diamond puppy and feed the extreme athlete during hunting season and the regular hi energy anything else.  $25 for a 50 pound bag and I feed 4 cups a day per the instructions on the bag.  He’s a lean mean hunting machine just like his owner.  They always have it at menards, runnings or fleetfarm.
I'm sold. On the food. :happy1:just not on the hunting machine owner. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Do they sell smaller bags G??

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm sold. On the food. :happy1:just not on the hunting machine owner. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Never looked.  Suppose 50lbs are a little much for a little feller like yourself.  I’m sure it’s embarrassing to have to ask mama to come get the dog food out the back of the truck. 

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dats really funny General!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
last time i fished with yu G, i dont recall any thing lean aboutbyu but the fireball!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
last time i fished with yu G, i dont recall any thing lean aboutbyu but the fireball!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: datz funny boar. :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Never looked.  Suppose 50lbs are a little much for a little feller like yourself.  I’m sure it’s embarrassing to have to ask mama to come get the dog food out the back of the truck.
Yea Yea Yea. :rotflmao:

Back in my younger years I was throwing them around 2 at a time.
« Last Edit: November 11/30/20, 07:59:35 PM by glenn57 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
pretty studly glenn, throwing puppies around, i have a never to report you!!
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Geez Glenn!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
pretty studly glenn, throwing puppies around, i have a never to report you!!
:pouty: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 :taz:

feed bags you dipstick!!!!!!!!!!!! :pouty: during my high school years i worked at a feed mill........50-100 lb feed bags. made me the stud i am today!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :smoking: :sleazy:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
What I recall is my dad and me slaying walleyes while you were playing with sheepshead.  Good old fireball ;)
« Last Edit: December 12/01/20, 11:26:23 AM by The General »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
lol....oh yeah...
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well..........all set for puppy.........now just need a puppy!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty:

food.........check
kennel.........check
food and water dishes........check
doggy treats........check

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the dogs name   :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the dogs name   :scratch:
BEAR...... not to be mistaken for BOAR!!!!!!!!! i wanna be nice to the dog!!!! :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: