Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 915459 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys must be small town fellas, or still writing checks for purchases.  I'd much rather go thru self checkout,  unless I have a full cart load. I'm getting better at looking stuff up, but it's usually hassle free. Now if the dang beer stores would just go self checkout I'd quit getting carded... ;)

I'm not near as "old fashioned as that Glenn guy" as I always use plastic (points on that Cabelas card.  Just keep it paid off)  BUT..I don't work at those stores, not a trained check out and they sure do not give me any discounts for working.   They want my money, pay someone a wage to keep them there to take it.  And then don't ask to see my receipt on the way out. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree Scenic and I could care less if they want to see my receipt to make sure I am not just stealing a cart full of stuff. I could never understand why that some people are against it. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I hate standing in line & waiting for Granny to tell the person checking her out about how her family is doing.  :rolleyes: Typically, about 1 out of every 3 people look like they only shop 1 time a month when their SS or Snap $ comes in so the carts are full too. So, I rarely have more than 5-6 things & it's way faster to use the "Scan & Go".  Another thing I like is that I rarely get the " I rather be somewhere else, doing something else" feeling from the person  "helping" me checkout.  :sad:
« Last Edit: November 11/16/23, 07:45:04 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I could care less if they want to see my receipt to make sure I am not just stealing a cart full of stuff. I could never understand why that some people are against it.

Because if they can pay someone to stand there and watch me do it under camera, then pay someone who watches me come from that checkout,  that someone just stood over me watching me, then they can pay that same person to run a checkout lane.  Did you know if you scan an item and it does not scan and you thought it did you could be charged with theft?   Let their "trained" checkers miss that item.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yupper, and try some of these gymnastics at FF then see what happens. Got a gift card? Rebate? Farm use? Non-taxable item? No effin' way I'm going to attempt that stuff with a self checkout. It wouldn't be so bad if they standardized the systems but every place is different and some are more user friendly than others. Cash Wise is the absolute worst. I got so frustrated I put the crap back on the shelf and walked out. Good thing their booze is cheap because I refuse to grocery shop there anymore. And damn straight I still write checks for stuff sometimes. Some places locally like the Red Leaf Cafe won't take plastic while others will charge 2% - 4% to cover their costs for using the card.   
« Last Edit: November 11/16/23, 10:05:29 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Meanwhile back at the ranch, Dotch was grilling Braille method rotisserie yard bird. Not sure what I seasoned it with because I couldn't see it. Pear wood in the smoker boxes. Best of all I was able to clean up the mess before the Mrs. got home. House still smells pretty good so best keep my spidey senses on high alert.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/16/23, 10:22:05 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks really good!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dang that does look tasty    :hubba:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It was very tasty & I'm really looking forward to the leftovers. Since the wife isn't fond of chicken, this was the first whole bird I've attempted on this setup. I've done numerous lamb legs with it but that's about it. Now I gotta see if I've got balls enough to do a smaller turkey with the rotisserie. Guessing this chicken was ~ a 4 - 5 lb. model. Looking at a 9 - 12 lb. turkey perhaps. Reminds me I better get it bought today so it'll be thawed in time.   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks to me you nailed it Dotch! A little bigger bird you just need to make sure you have enough heat. Speaking of heat, I've grilled 4 days straight and my running shoes are....crap, she found me!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dang that looks great Bobber!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It sure does look good. 

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dang! I would eat the heck out of that. Looks great.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No wonder the Mrs. is always after yer sausage boober!  :shocked:

Yep, I hear ya on the fire for doing a turkey. Forecasting sunny with a high of only 24 and WNW winds 15 -20 mph, gusting to 30. Luckily I can get the grill tucked in out of the wind, plus it's on the south side of the house. Figure I've done ~40 turkeys on the Weber altho this will be the 1st time doing one with the rotisserie. It adds a few more variables as the extension means additional space to heat. Will definitely want to make sure I have plenty of coals. Normally I err on the side of overkill. Generally a 12 lb. bird like this one takes about an hour and a half using the roasting rack & indirect heat, even when it's cold.   
« Last Edit: November 11/17/23, 10:42:39 AM by Dotch »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck Dotch,  I've always wanted a rotisserie attachment.  Hour and a half, that's perty quick, you gotter down!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seems fast to me but I like a 14 or 15 pound bird...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know, it seemed pretty fast to me at first too. I used to automatically let them go at least 2 hours regardless, check the temp & they'd be 170 or better. A lot of those tended to be 15 - 17 lbs. with the pop-up timers. Sometimes the pop-up timers would go off, sometimes not depending on how much goo the turkey was basted with so I never relied on them. When we went with smaller birds, seemed like they got more dried out than I liked. I decided to start checking at an hour and a half & found them at 165. Time to come off.
« Last Edit: November 11/17/23, 09:15:27 PM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a perfect set up then!!   :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We do almost all of our chicken up at the lake on the Weber rotisserie too. We have a corner by the backdoor of the garage that is well protected where it gets done. Really like that the meat stays so moist & the drippins give it a nice little smokey flavor too. Never done a turkey that way though.
« Last Edit: November 11/18/23, 11:00:46 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Better day for grilling on Thanksgiving than some. Rotisserie worked altho we had to pin the wings to the body so they didn't flop. Just enough fire when it came off in ~ an hour & 45 minutes. Indirect, hackberry in the smoker boxes, seasoned with Sweet & Smoky rub, poultry seasoning & some seasoning salt. Basted every half hour w/a combo of grape jam, cranberry-grape juice, canola oil & special seasoning. Very moist & juicy. 🍗

« Last Edit: November 11/23/23, 02:36:48 PM by Dotch »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds and looks awesome!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Sounds and looks awesome!
I bet he's been tied to the bed since!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DennyO

• Outdoorsman
I did 2 of these for the family, kept 1/2 for another dinner here at home and took 1 - 1/2. After a couple of care packages we brought home a few pieces of pie, all else was gone!

« Last Edit: November 11/23/23, 10:39:23 PM by DennyO »

Offline DennyO

• Outdoorsman
Rubbed with Simon and Garfunkel, smoked in black cherry and a single basting with Kerrygold.
Smoked @ 225 to 240f smoker temp then pulled with a temp in the center of the breast of 155f.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dotch and Denny O, those look amazing!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Your probably not far off Glenn! Looks great gents, I forgot to snap pics...

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn’t get to have a Thanksgiving last week, and since the weather is nice today’s I picked up a fresh Butterball, 14lbs. injected with garlic butter, rubbed it with Carrabba’s rub, and into the fryer.
Turned out great!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nice fryer!!   and a darn good looking bird!!!!   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: that looks frickin awesome. :hubba: :hubba:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!