Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 38607 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's amazing how long a lot of the trees are keeping their color and their leaves. Strange fall for sure. Most under story brush lost the leaves this past week. Now the damn deer can see me moving around  :rotflmao:from 70 yards away.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Basically I think it is because they were late getting leaves in the spring. We still had snow the first of May. My apples bloomed later and they were all ay least a week later than normal ripening.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still can't believe some of the stuff like the zinnias that hadn't been toasted by the frost until this morning. Cut the cannas & laid the stalks on top of the ground. Hopefully it buys me a day to dig them. The other burning bush colored up so snapped a photo quick. Blink & the leaves are gone.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
dotch,
I can't remember if you ever got what I call the red cannas. It's the color of the leaves (actually a dark purplish color) not the flowers. Both varieties have the same red/orange flower.

Here's some pictures of with both "red" and "green" cannas.
As you can see the red cannas tend to grow taller and more robust than the green ones.
If you don't have any red ones and would like to try them, let me know and I will dig some for you.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We've talked about getting some of the red-leaved cannas but haven't done it. Very kind of you to offer but not sure when I'd be thru your neck of the woods anytime soon. My back and hips are already aching just thinking about digging these! Alas, despite my best efforts, none of the yellow canna bulbs I saved back last year grew so starting from scratch on those next year again. That's one thing about the old fashioned red flowered cannas, they're tough. Still some we didn't plant growing in a tub in the garage yesterday.  :doah:

Harvested the 1st dogwood of the season. Most of it was just beautiful and was nice to get there before the snow got too deep. Also before the deer and bunnies did although there were already some tips chewed off. Deer have a highway system running through the wetland. 🛣️
« Last Edit: October 10/29/23, 11:59:44 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of leaves.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Harvested the 1st dogwood of the season. Most of it was just beautiful...
I know people who would pay $30 or more for that bucket of sticks...  :scratch:  :lipsrsealed: :angel:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Froze the last of the buttercup squash I planned on freezing yesterday. Taste tested each batch & has to be the sweetest squash we've ever raised. Saw this link to the new USDA hardiness zones this a.m. so thought I'd post it. Does sort of make sense as the areas to the west and south of where we live have always been able to plant a little later corn hybrids & take advantage of their typically better yield potential.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Probably more of a 2024 thing but, we planted our garlic in October. Covered it with some straw. This is our first attempt at garlic so what should we be doing or watching for?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
      Probably more of a 2024 thing but, we planted our garlic in October. Covered it with some straw. This is our first attempt at garlic so what should we be doing or watching for?
With the warm weather later this week, it will probably sprout next Saturday!   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so far so good!!!!! if i remember correctly, as i grew it at one time, keep a eye on it next year and pluck the flowers off. harvest about july, save the biggest ones to replant!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Seed catalogs are arriving.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a good sign. Wonder if they sell Mary Jane seeds nowadays in dem catalogs... :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wouldn't that be a hoot.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a good sign. Wonder if they sell Mary Jane seeds nowadays in dem catalogs... :scratch:
like you need to  find a place to buy them  :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a thing on elderberry and buckthorn the other day.  They are trying elderberry to drown out buckthorn after removing it.  They take an elderberry tree and cut 8-10" dowels out of it.  They get a bud or flowers at each end of it.  Then just poke it in the ground and water it.  By the third year you have a pretty big plant.  The bud below the ground turns to a root so may not see much the first year or two as it is growing root first.  We have a lot of elderberry and like it so we are going to try this to make a wall of it.  The one that gets cut will grow right back too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i just took a google search of elderberries.....seems they are poisonous until cooked.....but makes a juice and jellies from it. supposed to be good healthwise once cooked especially for colds.  :scratch: :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our berries are in clumps like grapes and are very small berries.  I wonder if some have bigger berries?