Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gophers Basketball  (Read 13436 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I confess to being a fair weather UofM basketball fan and there hasn't been much over the decades to make me want to jump on the bandwagon.  :coffee:

The ONLY way they are going to have sustained success here is if they hire a big-time coach with a proven track record - someone players want to play for, who gets his teams to the tournament every year.  I don't care if he does it with a bunch of one-and-done's, next-tier guys willing to work hard for 4 years, or some combination.  :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Did Tubby fit that mold?  Maybe for a bit, but past a certain point he put his program on cruise control.  As I recall, didn't Tubby leave the cupboard pretty bare for Pitino?   :doah:

The transfer portal and name-and-likeness dollars have changed college sports forever.   :angry:

Maybe if Glen Taylor sells the TimberWooves and uses that money as a U of M College Booster to entice players to come to 'Sota - then, they might get relevant again.   :rotflmao:

:taz:  Rant over.  :sorry:

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Will they make the NIT this year?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Will they make the NIT this year?
i'd wager........not a snowballs chance in hell!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Surely you jest. They've won 7 games and only 1 in the B1G. 1-16 B1G & 7-20 overall. It'll be interesting in light of the recent events (Their 7' top recruit decommitted; rumored heading to Louisville) if they keep Ben one more year or can him and change course. Lots of talk about potential candidates but no one of an Eric Musselman or Brian Dutcher caliber. Firing Tubby probably was the initial catalyst that started this program into the trouble it's presently in. Win a game in the NCAA tournament and then can a guy with a reputation? Try to outsmart everyone with the Pitino hire? Then get rolled for sexual harassment? Way to go Norwood! Had Tubby woke up and smelled the coffee, he should've hired someone to run the offense. Instead he had success at Texas Tech and Memphis after he was let go. Pitino had a good season going this year through January then they got beat up in February when they had to play somebody. Still 20-9 but sounds familiar.   :scratch:
« Last Edit: February 02/28/23, 06:51:03 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I asked about the NIT because all you need to do there is have a home game and sell tickets. The NIT doesn't hide the fact that it's all about the money. But maybe the Gophers can't sell any tickets? Is the program that far gone that it's come down to that?

I'm not a basketball guy, either high school, college or pro. But I do know at one time the Gophers had very loyal fans. Maybe that isn't true anymore?   :confused:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gotta have a .500 record or better to be invited since 2017 I believe. Lots of fans whose loyalty has dwindled. Know of several longtime season ticket holders who let theirs go. If it's not good for equality & climate change, the U doesn't care.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
There is something wrong when you can't out recruit Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana in basketball. This is a major metro area with all the things a major metro area has to offer. The U doesn't have a problem drawing high caliber Hockey players from all over the country. As you alluded to I think it's management and coaching. There is zero reason not to be able to recruit kids to Mpls. We have some of the best clubs, pro sports, drugs & girls in the country.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I can't say a big Gopher fan anymore, but I do still keep an eye on how they are doing. I am a large BIG 10 BB fan though, so I tried to watch a few of their games this season. But I couldn't get past 1/2 time this year though. Pretty much been like that since Ricky's 1st year or 2 IMO too. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 02/28/23, 08:45:34 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gunner's gotta be happy tonite. Coming off a stunning OT win over Mich. St., the Hawkeyes beat up on IN at Bloomington. Frannie's got it goin' on all the sudden. Pretty sure he leads the B1G in technicals. Gives the conference a lot of color.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: February 02/28/23, 08:44:02 PM by Gunner55 »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
This has to be one of the worst Gopher's Men's BB teams. And they just had their 5 start recruit post player from California recant. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner's gotta be happy tonite. Coming off a stunning OT win over Mich. St., the Hawkeyes beat up on IN at Bloomington. Frannie's got it goin' on all the sudden. Pretty sure he leads the B1G in technicals. Gives the conference a lot of color.
Yeah Dotch, if they'd shot anywhere near that well, 13-23 from deep, a little more on the road this season they would still be in the running to win the conference. :pouty: It's been closer to 20-25% instead. :bonk:  Beat 'em on the boards pretty good (+12) too. Hope they can keep it up for the BIG tourney.
« Last Edit: March 03/01/23, 06:29:38 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This has to be one of the worst Gopher's Men's BB teams. And they just had their 5 start recruit post player from California recant. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Ben must be a good recruiter.  I've heard him speak and he seems like an impressive individual.  I can see why people are drawn to him.  :happy1:

But as the season drags on, and his on-court performance is bad (though not HIS fault), those talented, young kids must think, why go to a team that is on the bottom, when I can join a team that is better off and will get to the tournament every year.   :confused:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Lindsey  Whelen  out as Gophers BB coach.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: March 03/02/23, 02:08:22 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard that a little bit ago. No surprise and I'm glad it was done with some class. Whalen was a classy, tough player. Her coaching talents just didn't match the expectations. She'll be staying on with the athletics dept. so not a bad move there either. What little girl didn't grow up watching Whalen playing for the Lynx?

https://gopherhole.com/boards/threads/breaking-mark-coyle-and-lindsay-whalen-announced-today-that-whalen-will-step-down-as-head-coach-effective-immediately.110183/?s=03

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ben must be a good recruiter.  I've heard him speak and he seems like an impressive individual.  I can see why people are drawn to him.  :happy1:

But as the season drags on, and his on-court performance is bad (though not HIS fault), those talented, young kids must think, why go to a team that is on the bottom, when I can join a team that is better off and will get to the tournament every year.   :confused:

I agree Steve-O. Ben projects himself as one of the most positive guys you'll ever run across. He recruited well at UNI & Xavier. Was talking to one of my good friends who's a UNI alum and he had nothing but good to say, although he didn't know if he could coach. I think he probably could if his talent was able to stay healthy. Start off the year with two of the guys in the front court they were counting on for a lot of minutes out with torn ACL's. Battle has foot surgery and misses at least a half dozen games. Hasn't had the consistency he had last year and looks like he's trying to do too much. Garcia is hurt off and on. No real decent guard play so what had the potential on paper to improve over last year's performance has been an utter disappointment. With the portal situation, one has to wonder if Garcia will stay. Same with Battle. Unless these guys bleed maroon and gold and stick around, it won't get any better next year. Coyle has to ask himself if it's time to fish or cut bait. Guessing Ben still might get one more shot but next year better be a doozy or he'll be out like last week's newspaper.     

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, it didn't appear to be working out for Lindsay.  She carried a lot of water for the U.  I am glad they are finding a spot for her.

And it is too bad for Ben that the cupboard was so bare when he took over the program.  Injuries and defections leave no margin for error.

But unless they can hire that "Big Time" coach who wants to prove he can win anywhere - even at school where no one else could win consistently - then why not let Ben keep coaching?   :confused:

Hitting the reset button with young hopefuls hasn't gotten them anywhere.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Lindsey has the name.....to bad she couldn't get more Minnesota girls to stay home and  play for the home team. :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That and I didn't understand what went on with some of the out of state recruits such as Jasmine Powell & Destiny Pitts who were stars when they were here. They butted heads with Whalen & ultimately transferred out. Wonder sometimes if Whalen was more old school than what some of this new breed of athlete could handle. MN native Scalia was another one that showed no loyalty and transferred to IN where odds were better that she could play for a winning team. One reason my interest in some college athletics is waning. Was brought up with the notion ya dance with the one that brung ya. This portal can of worms has made & will only continue to make matters worse.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
That and I didn't understand what went on with some of the out of state recruits such as Jasmine Powell & Destiny Pitts who were stars when they were here. They butted heads with Whalen & ultimately transferred out. Wonder sometimes if Whalen was more old school than what some of this new breed of athlete could handle. MN native Scalia was another one that showed no loyalty and transferred to IN where odds were better that she could play for a winning team. One reason my interest in some college athletics is waning. Was brought up with the notion ya dance with the one that brung ya. This portal can of worms has made & will only continue to make matters worse.
it pains me to say this :rotflmao: but i totally agree with ya DOTCH!!!!!! that portal is a total sheetshow  :bs:.

i'm pretty certain i might be a lone ranger here but i'm of the opinion with guys like Suggs,Holmgren and others that are the 1 and done that got to play on a full scholorship should be required to pay a good chunk of tuition fees for leaving.......
« Last Edit: March 03/02/23, 06:59:08 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And just like that,  Gopher men pull off the last second upset over Rutgers 75 - 74 on a 3 by Battle. Did not watch as I was watching the double OT Michigan - Illinoise game.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
They maybe thought they should put some effort into the game or Johnson might end up like Whalen. Living up here I don't get a lot of Basketball news (which is ok) but I would guess the metro scribes have been lighting up the basketball teams up this winter.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wonder sometimes if Whalen was more old school than what some of this new breed of athlete could handle.
Could be.  She always struck me as a prototypical gym rat.  They always say the best players don't make the best coaches.  They don't know how to effectively translate their skill to the players.  "Why can't you see the court the way I do?"  "Why don't you work as hard as I did?" 

When all is said and done, I think it was worth it to give Whalen a shot.

Let's face it...  The U of M Regents are NEVER going to invest in their athletic programs to the level their Big 10 competition does.  And when they do make attempts to build up their programs, they are so late to the party that they have fallen far below the power curve.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Seeing some potential names mentioned for the women's BB head coaching job.. Carly Thibault Du-Donis, an assistant coach under Whalen, now at Fairfield & Megan Duffy, women's head coach at Marquette. Both have coaching experience & are presently coaching successful programs. Add Dawn Plitzuweit, women's head coach at West Virginia & Lindy LaRocque, UNLV head coach to the list. Plitzuweit would cost some ching & La Rocque may come cheaper, but being a Stanford grad, she may be waiting for a job to open out that way. With UCLA & USC coming into the B1G in 2024, that may not matter. The guy who coaches SDSU, Aaron Johnston has also been mentioned. Not female or a person of color, & doubt he has any of the other alphabet soup qualifications to make him a potential candidate at the U. He is from Pine Island MN where my cousin once coached wrassling.   

On the men's side, Isaac Asuma stays home and commits to the Gophers! They may have recruited a guard with some brains & talent. #2 ranked recruit in MN. Still makes me wonder with all this portal stuff & the 7 footer opting out of MN what kind of tampering is going on behind the scenes. Hard to believe but the Louisville Cardinal program where he's heading is rated worse than the Gophers this year. They are 4 - 26 overall & 2 - 17 in their conference. With slimeballs like Kelvin Sampson & Coach Cal on the loose with their past transgressions being swept under the rug & ignored by the sporting press, one can only imagine what kind of dirty pool one will need to play to try to keep up. The NCAA should be ashamed of itself & what they've allowed to happen after years of making a big deal of ticky-tack stuff.   
« Last Edit: March 03/03/23, 12:04:49 PM by Dotch »

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Coach Calipari rings the money bell for the NCAA so little matters with him. Much like Duke, North Carolina and even Kansas some programs are untouchable.

Gophers women should go get the coach from Maryland who once coached the Gophers. She knows what she is doing and would bounce the program right back. But that would take money, money they would rather give PJ and his mediocre program. Gophers women will win a National title, either Hockey or Basketball (or both) before PJ wins the Big 10.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Gophers lose to Wisconsin.....blow it at the free throw line.  :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup they did. Story of their season. Worst free throw shooting team in the B1G, & worst out of 363 teams in D1at 61.7%. Sounds like Battle & Cooper are "leaning towards" leaving the program for next year. No firm decision but tonight's loss couldn't have helped. Some of our WI friends who are UW alumni were hoping the Gophers would win. They'd like to see Gard get fired.
« Last Edit: March 03/06/23, 08:43:27 AM by Dotch »

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
If Battle & Cooper both leave they really can't get much worse can they?

Maybe the MIAC has a opening for another basketball team?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gophers ambush Nebraska 78 - 75 in the B1G tourney. As one astute observer pointed out, only 10 more wins and they're national champions!  :cool: