Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 532594 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
A key part of that play was that Dantzler got stiff-armed to the ground, got up, chased him down, and made the play.

Why are are runningback/receiver siff-arms even legal?   :confused:

If a lineman does it, its Illegal Hands to the Face.   :scratch:

If a defensive player does it, its called Facemask.   :doah:

And is someone touches the quarterback's helmet, its called Roughing the Passer.   :puke:

So how come the runner can punch or push a defender in face and its legal?   :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always wondered that.  Pretty close to the same thing.  If a running back using a stiff arm closes his hand on it I suppose it would be a facemask.  But yes how can that be safe to wack a guy in his facemask be a safe thing to do.  What about whiplash and things like that.  It seems like a too the helmet hit type of thing to me.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Ask the Official: Why ball carriers can use their hands in ways others can’t

Why are running backs and receivers allowed to stiff arm defenders with their hands to the facemask and it not be flagged as such, yet lineman get called for it all the time? It is what it is: hands to the face.

Any player possessing the football – a runner or receiver after a catch – may use an open hand to ward off a defender trying to make a tackle. The feeling is that a runner is limited in his ability to ward off defenders because his other hand is securing the football.

He may not grab or twist the face mask of the defender, but he may use the open hand against the helmet or face mask.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'm not a big fan of the new 2-deep safety/shell coverage D either, but I understand why they play it. First, it's what McVay used a lot of out in LA & 2nd our CBs don't play man coverage that well either. Last but not least, I not certain they've figured out the how to best get pressure on the opposing QB yet. Ten years ago, this D was called a prevent defense & I wasn't a huge fan of it back then neither. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 10/11/22, 07:33:10 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Oh yea the prevent defense.... It prevented the team from winning!!🤣

Kinda like having cousins as your QB!! :evil: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya the prevent defense always seemed like the let them score defense.  Never did have confidence in it. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Always hated the "prevent defense." Never seemed to prevent anything.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The other thing about 2-deep safety/shell coverage D is...  its simple. 

I heard an interview of corner Patrick Peterson last night.

Zims defenses were complicated, and if anyone did the wrong thing, or reacted too slowly because of all the pre-snap motion and misdirection and the defense gives up a big play.  Dantzler was often Zim's dog house because he didn't always make the right read.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The other thing about 2-deep safety/shell coverage D is...  its simple. 

I heard an interview of corner Patrick Peterson last night.

Zims defenses were complicated, and if anyone did the wrong thing, or reacted too slowly because of all the pre-snap motion and misdirection and the defense gives up a big play.  Dantzler was often Zim's dog house because he didn't always make the right read.

So was it the master being to smart for the pupil or the pupil being to dumb to implement the scheme? Are we now dumbing it down for the defense?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd get involved in this conversation but I already stirred the pot up enough over on IDO. :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh yea the prevent defense.... It prevented the team from winning!!🤣

Kinda like having cousins as your QB!! :evil: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :tut:                :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:                                                                               
I'd get involved in this conversation but I already stirred the pot up enough over on IDO. :evil: :rotflmao:
:shocked:                     ;) :smiley: :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 10/11/22, 03:10:11 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Always hated the "prevent defense." Never seemed to prevent anything.
It did prevent the team from winning more than anything. I always called it prevent the win defense.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it means the current Vikings defense isn't that good and the coaching staff knows it.

Defense Whisperer, Mike Zimmer, had one of the worst defenses two years running - old guys getting hurt and new guys not panning out or picking things up fast enough. 

Enter Kevin O.  They tried to bolster the defense in the offseason, but those things don't get fixed overnight.  His plan appears to be to play a bend-but-don't-break shell defense and give the offense free reign to be dynamic and score as many points as they need.

Zim's problem was he kept on playing "his" defense even though he didn't have the horses to execute it - and they got lit up two years running because of it.

Maybe if this year's defense plays within itself, they will be good enough to be successful as a team.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Per a conversation they just had on KFAN.  Tua probably won't play on Sun against us and Teddy is still in concussion protocol so their third string QB who played when Teddy went out last week will be their starter.   289th pick.    :sleazy:   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Trap game for the Vikes?   :scratch:  How many times in recent memory has the opposing back-up QB lit up the Vikings?    :doah:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey HD.  Is the MNO jet busy this weekend.  I would love to fly to Miami and see the game and the other sites.   :sleazy:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Per a conversation they just had on KFAN.  Tua probably won't play on Sun against us and Teddy is still in concussion protocol so their third string QB who played when Teddy went out last week will be their starter.   289th pick.    :sleazy:   
:scratch: Vikes are still only favored by 3-3.5, they still have a pretty good defense.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read that we haven't won in Miami since 1976. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
bad omen??   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
bad omen??
meh there due. I gotz the faith!!🙄   :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I sure hope #7 & #3 don't spend all game looking at the back of Hill & Waddles jerseys as they are a couple of the fastest WRs in the league. :rolleyes: Smith & Bynum best be on their game too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I thought Hill was out?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They have a lot of guys out this week. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Teddy isn't even on ESPN's list either so..................... :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya what's up with that.  I heard they may be doing that to trick us and actually put Teddy in.  He plays a good fast game with short throws.  That may be bad news for us.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Tua passed his concussion tests. Let the track meet begin.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tua passed his concussion tests. Let the track meet begin.
he's not even dressed will start next week.

Boy this game is starting out like a doozy! :pouty: