Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Steelhead  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Came back from the North Shore yesterday.  Drove Thursday and met up with my brother and a friend of his.  Took off at 7am and came back at 8 pm.  A full day of fishing for sure.  Hit some of the lower shore streams to fish spots we normally do good.  Water was low in those streams.  We saw fish spawning and rolling.  And when this happens they deal to business just like we do LOL.  Not interested in eating.

Then we went north of Grand Marias.  Those streams had good water and fish there spawn later than the lower shore.  Lot's of steelhead jumping the smaller falls.  I caught a few brook trout as well as 3 steelhead but no loopers.  Them all back.  Cant keep steelhead and I wont keep any of those lake run coasters [lake run brook trout].   My brother caught 4 steelhead and 2 loopers [Kamloop rainbow].  His buddy John  caught 3 steelhead and no loopers but also nailed some suckers which he threw back.

DNR stopped stocking loopers and there won't be any left in about 4 years.  The DNR is starting to stock steelhead which will be clipped and will put a limit on them when they start coming back in keeper size.  Great day and the legs feel it.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
cool, what kinda of set u  uze reiney?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great to be out and lots of fun I bet rh. :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it was a great day Bobber.  50 up there and I heard it was 80 down in the cities, but I would rather be up there anytime.  Boar we use a 8 foot spinning rod with a fly reel full of 8 pound test.  We use spawn bags that my brother ties up and puts them in borax to keep them.  Also use waxies with white yarn we tie on the hook and then put the two waxies on.  Put a split shot about 10 inches up from the hook.  Then a round bobber that snaps on the line orange in color and adjust the bobber just enough to keep the bait bumping off the bottom.  good luck.