Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food plots anyone?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Spring is almost here!  It's cold but don't kid yourself...it will be here sooner rather than later.  This is a great time to talk food plot plans and to apply for programs if your land qualifies.

If you have seen any of my seminars or read any of the articles...I preach the "PLM's Management by Thirds" concept...
1/3 woody cover (shrubs and conifers) protecting and adjacent to...
1/3 food source to get the hens through the winter and to increase doe group carrying capacity (feed the girls, have more girl groups and the boys will come), and then...
1/3 native grass for nesting, brooding, bedding and loafing...again increasing carrying capacity.

Ideally you want to develop "Management by Thirds" on every 40 acres or so.  For every doe group you increase...you attract another dominant buck...

Einstein formula...1 doe group = 1 dominant buck

Create more doe groups and small home ranges...you will keep/hold deer on your property better to allow them to get older and you will have more dominant bucks.  Make sure to have 6 to 8 does in each group so your dominant buck stays home instead of chasing other does across the property line.

Management by Thirds also increases the ability to have more pheasants make it through the winter...

Einstein formula...more hens = more broods = 50% are roosters by law of averages

Do you want 20 or 50 birds on your property (160 ac) or do you want 100 to 200 or more?  If you want more...implement Management by Thirds and it will amaze you how prolific pheasants are!

Check out the MNO web site for all of your spring food plot needs... www.HabitatNOW.com/go/MNO

Throw some questions or comments out...

Kyle, PLM

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Kyle, back in the fall of 2004 I won a feeder and land managment plan from PLM.  It was at a pheasants forever banquet in New Prague.  I got the feeder but for one reason or another never connected on the land management plan.  At the time you were more into praire land (PLM) but from this post, it looks like you are doing some deer food plot planning.  Also, now could use some help in holding turkeys.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Don't want anyone to slip through the cracks.  Go to the following link and fill in the information.  I will then get right on it.

http://www.habitatnow.com/assessment.htm

You don't have to purchase anything as you have won that package already.

Look forward to hearing from you.  Did a plan for Gary Novak last year from New Prague and the PF chapter there.

Kyle, PLM