Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Chainsaw mill ?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
sorry DDS , cant help ya. but my experience with a chainsaw is is they are not held vertical or the way there suppose to they shut off. if what I seen in those pictures that chainsaw was laying on its side.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
sorry DDS , cant help ya. but my experience with a chainsaw is is they are not held vertical or the way there suppose to they shut off. if what I seen in those pictures that chainsaw was laying on its side.

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea what's so funny? :scratch:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Those electric toy saws may shut off.  Especially if the plug comes out of the outlet.   :doah:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
oh well..ya got me. didn't see no cord!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  Has anyone ever tried one of these.  I am especially interested in the Alaskan.  If you watch the video the rail system only needs to be used on the first cut and can easily be made out of a 2x12 and 2 2x4s.  You then can cut the rest of the log into 2 or 3 inch slabs that can be converted to rough cut lumber.  You can make them as big as you want if you need beams.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=alaskan+chainsaw+mill&Nty=1&D=alaskan+chainsaw+mill&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=Logging&utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=alaskan%20chainsaw%20mill&mkwid=sHv1Xt4ed&pcrid=74430249431&mtype=e&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=Logging&utm_campaign=&utm_content=alaskan%20chainsaw%20mill&mkwid=s5J12EwiB&pcrid=74430249431&mtype=e&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CLCs3NzewssCFQeraQods8gNzg
I didnt look at the one from Notherntool YET.I did use someone elses for a fall in the late 80s building snowmoblie shelters and outhouses in Nemadji state forest. It was slick I do believe its as good as the chainsaw you use.I was using a old sears 22 inch low RPM heavy weight saw that weighted about 25 lbs.Great saw went through the logs like butter!
  For small jobs I'd say get it! for lots of lumber go to a saw mill let then use their band saws,Cleaner cuts and more consistent accurate cuts.
« Last Edit: March 03/15/16, 01:28:18 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
DDSBYDAY  Ive got a couple buddys (brothers) they built a really cool square log cabin with a Wood-mizer portable saw mill their uncle has...that is a slick machine... I wouldn't have any trees left if I had one.. ok a bit more pricey than your chainsaw one.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
DDS what are you planning on using it for?
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Corny I have looked at those.  Maybe some day. Believe it or not Harbor Freight has their own 3000 dollar delivered one.  Of course The HF model needs some modifications but it can be made quite functional on a small scale.  General,  if all goes well I will be moving out of the cities.  The property I am looking at has about an acre of mostly red oak with a lot of timber down.  At the lake we have a couple of large white pine down and a couple of perfect cedars on the ground from storms last summer.  On top of that my son who is an electrical engineer and his buddy started a tree service a couple of years back that they work evenings and weekends.  They have access to heavy equipment and wood disposal which mostly is cut into split into firewood.  Just milling the cedars we cut up last summer would pay for a chainsaw,  Alaskan mill,and be much more rewarding than splitting it up into firewood.