Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1515930 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Heard lots of differing opinions on those 2 out by the Pokegama/169 bridge, Zorbas & The Pickled Loon. :confused: We like Sammy's in GR.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hmm might have to check it out one of these trips

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:scratch: Heard lots of differing opinions on those 2 out by the Pokegama/169 bridge, Zorbas & The Pickled Loon. :confused: We like Sammy's in GR.
yea have no comment on the Zorbas there but i wouldnt spend another penny in the pickled loon up there.

i've ate at other pickled loons and where good!!!! :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It's usually the noon buffet, 11-2, at Sammy's for us. The Grand Buffet on Hwy 2 across from M & H gas in the mall is good too. Of course, Sportsman's Cafe in DR is another favorite. Parking can be an issue at the Chinese place if you're pulling a trailer but it's usually better on the north side of the mall.
« Last Edit: March 03/11/24, 01:06:30 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's usually the noon buffet, 11-2, at Sammy's for us. The China Buffet on Hwy 2 across from M & H gas in the mall is good too. Of course, Sportsman's Cafe in DR is another favorite.
:happy1: :happy1: yep, i dont want to agree with Gunner alot,  :sleazy: :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: it'll ruin my reputation.  :confused: :doah: but he's spot on there!!!!

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the run down on the food options in the area. My problem is when I'm headed up fishing I just don't take the time to stop for anything but something quick as I'm always in a hurry.  :confused:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
For a sit-down place Sportsman's in DR is usually pretty quick. Not too hard to be in & out in ~ a 1/2 hour, even if they're kind of busy. :cool:
« Last Edit: March 03/11/24, 02:41:31 PM by Gunner55 »

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
No argument about Sammy’s lunch buffet. It’s pretty good. Also we like to get there half baked pizzas and finish them off at home.
Not much of a fan of Zorbas. Used to stop at what was Pier 65 north of McGregor, but Zorbas took over and after a couple visits we dropped them from the schedule.
Personally I think The Pickled Loon is over rated—average food at above average prices. It was better for real supper club type food when it was The Harbor.
As for Chinese, we think the New China buffet is better than the place in Central Square Mall.

For sushi, Fuji is pretty good,

Just my humble opinions on the GR dining scene.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Is that 1 down by the river?  If it is, we tried that once back during Covid & decided we liked the 1 in the mall better. Maybe, it's changed & we should give it another shot? :huh:
« Last Edit: March 03/12/24, 07:48:00 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
When we met up with Glenn and Gunner, we stayed in DR and had some grub n beverages at the outpost I believe.  We thought it was good, and a good place. But I agree Rasmussen when we head to the cabin it's only stopping for something important,  and while we're lakeside the last thing I'm doing is going out to eat..lol.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
When we met up with Glenn and Gunner, we stayed in DR and had some grub n beverages at the outpost I believe.  We thought it was good, and a good place. But I agree Rasmussen when we head to the cabin it's only stopping for something important,  and while we're lakeside the last thing I'm doing is going out to eat..lol.

Yep lake time is my therapy. I do not own a cabin, maybe some day. So I rent a a few times a year and nothing could drag me away unless the weather is real crappy.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Is that 1 down by the river?  If it is, we tried that once back during Covid & decided we liked the 1 in the mall better. Maybe, it's changed & we should give it another shot? :huh:
Hey, Gunner. It’s a block west of Pokegama and a block south of 3rd Street. On 4th Street.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Thanks for the run down on the food options in the area. My problem is when I'm headed up fishing I just don't take the time to stop for anything but something quick as I'm always in a hurry.  :confused:
:scratch: It used to be that way with us too................... when were still working. Other than 2019 when Mom passed away, we've been up here 8-10 months a year since 2012. That normally means 1 trip to town on Wednesday morning for groceries & such. Some lunch is usually included before we get past Deer River on the way home then too.
« Last Edit: March 03/12/24, 09:05:00 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, Gunner. It’s a block west of Pokegama and a block south of 3rd Street. On 4th Street.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Do they have a buffet, I don't remember? I do remember that part of our meal wasn't very warm the day we were there though. I think we might've been kind of early that day, closer to 11 than noon.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Yep lake time is my therapy. I do not own a cabin, maybe some day. So I rent a a few times a year and nothing could drag me away unless the weather is real crappy.
same here even though i'm retired and can spend all the time i want up there, and having been going there since i was a kid.......its still from point A to point B as soon as possible. only on very rare occasions to i go out to eat or to a bar up there.i can do that at home.

but.........i've been thinkin of an ecxuse to head to grand rapids to hit Sammy's!! :happy1: :rotflmao: since the one in st cloud closed! :confused: :doah:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Does anyone know if the Sammy's up there is affiliated with the one in Coon Rapids?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Does anyone know if the Sammy's up there is affiliated with the one in Coon Rapids?
i would think they are, but not sure. i've ate at the st cloud, grand rapids and duluth Sammy's and they all seem to use the same ingredients...especially the sausage from what i could tell.   :scratch:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Don’t forget to get your corned beef and veggies for st. Pats day.
This one is 5.5 lbs. think I’ll make pastrami in the Reqtec with half.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cub has them on sale $4.99 lb for tip cut and $5.99 for flat. Made one last weekend and it turned out great.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn, just got home from the store.  I wanted to get me a couple of corned beefs and forgot. 

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
i would think they are, but not sure. i've ate at the st cloud, grand rapids and duluth Sammy's and they all seem to use the same ingredients...especially the sausage from what i could tell.   :scratch:
I believe they are all somehow related. Not sure if it’s franchised or common ownership. I know the original one is the one in Hibbing, and they branched out from there. The Duluth stations air a commercial that has family members from the Grand Rapids one. I’ve never seen a commercial for the Duluth ones.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I probably should give this one a try then. From the googler it says it was started in 1954 the Hibbing location and now has 14 locations all run by close relatives.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn, just got home from the store.  I wanted to get me a couple of corned beefs and forgot.

good excuse to go back to the store!!!   

never had Sammy's pizza... 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Cub has them on sale $4.99 lb for tip cut and $5.99 for flat. Made one last weekend and it turned out great.
Aldi's in GR had corned beef points on sale for $2.99 & flats for $3.96 today, so we stopped a little earlier than normal. Most everybody was giving 'em a gander & quite a few were grabbing 2.
« Last Edit: March 03/13/24, 05:11:57 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
going to get some flats tomorrow...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Fried nords   :happy1: with noodles and Maters. There meant for each other.  Same with PB&J's!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
maters on the noodles!!!!   :happy1:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      PB&J is almost an edc for me. I like peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise, too.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
      PB&J is almost an edc for me. I like peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise, too.

just pb and mayo here....