Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Beef ribs  (Read 6609 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have bought beef ribs 3 or 4 times and once they were nice and meaty and turned out great.  The others were all bones and not worth the smoking of them.  I really like Stittsworth meats in Bemidji.  I just ordered some beef back ribs from them.  We are going to the Sportshow in Bemidji on Sat so I will pick them up then.  I will wait a week or two until the weather moderates some then a day on the smoker with them.  Glad I finally ordered them.  It is hard to find them otherwise.  Now I am going to youtube some beef rib videos.  Man life is great isn't it?   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good Luck, LPS!
Post pics of the results, that's something I've never smoked but I've had some fantastic BBQ Beef Short Ribs in Kansas City, once.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
The best beef back ribs are the one's that are cut fresh of the standing rib at the shop.  Maybe that's what you are getting LPS.  Otherwise the one's with the most meat are from the beef plate where short ribs are cut from.  If you can get some from that shop ask them to cut the plate in half so the serving size is better but to leave the plate whole.  If  they sell short ribs they have the plates they cut them from.  Best ribs anywhere.  Low and slow in the smoker or in-direct heat on the grill.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Will do RH.  I knew you would know.  Check this out to make you hungry.  I love these guys videos.    Pitt Boys

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Where you located LPS? Great rib shack in woodbury,not a deli or resturant either,mom n pop joint sign says smoked beef ribs,I stop by for baby back ribs smoked dry 10 or 12 bones.plenty for two people add $2 for house sauce vacumed sealed$7.98 dry smoked,pulled meat ,even smoked meatballs,I use reinhards recipe for beef short ribs but takes all day if ya have time and worth it(sometimes use Kalbi sauce as directed by reiny,excellent for beef

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm in Baudette Snow. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dang that looks great!!  never done them either, I will be now!!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The one time I found the good ones and they turned out great on my pellet smoker.  They were tender and juicy and reminded me of a chuck roast flavor but rib texture.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
The one time I found the good ones and they turned out great on my pellet smoker.  They were tender and juicy and reminded me of a chuck roast flavor but rib texture.   :happy1: :happy1:

:hubba:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now here is how to cook breakfast.  The wife is going to roll her eyes when I put crumbled Lays potato chips on my eggs and bacon.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good to me!!
« Last Edit: February 02/12/20, 01:50:23 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man those look good too.  Never had mustard and horseradish but it sounds good too.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep that's what I'm talking about.  The Pit Boys have exactly the beef plates that I have cut up for years.  Now if you look at the whole plate that he is holding ask the butcher to cut those in half length wise unless you want the whole rib size for the serving.  Also if you notice they just took some of the fat off the top which is a good idea but if you look when they turned the plate over they didn't take the skin off the bottom like you would with a baby back for example. It's a little harder to do that with the beef plate but you should take most of it off that you can.  Treat the bottom as you would the baby back or a spare rib.  The rest of the video is great just like all of their stuff.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that I think about it she did say they could cut them for me if I wanted.  She said they are about 8" so I will look at them and then maybe have her cut them in half and take the whole plate.  It is only 2 of us so would be fun to get 2 smokes out of them.  I have heard on some of the videos to leave the membrane so they don't fall apart.  ???  Really looking forward to this.  Especially now I know where I can get them.  She said $7.99 lb.  Oh well. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Membrane on ribs is a no-no!  Or as Glenn would say,   :tut:           :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Membrane on ribs is a no-no!  Or as Glenn would say,   :tut:           :rotflmao:

3nd Reb and Rh!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

On pork ribs of course.  But on beef ribs some say to leave it to keep it together. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting,I've trimmed the membrane off on pork over the years,its a chore most often,then I TALKED TO  a cook at famous daves,and the GM  who claim to be a self appointed chef,these guyz claim that leaving the membrane on keeps the meat moist during smoke,either way they come out excellent just a little more chewy with membrane on but with a few cold beers on a hot summer day "who cares" we manage.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If the guy was such a great cook, he wouldn't be working at Famous Dave's. Whatever works for ya, but they get pulled off my ribs right away. Gotta get that rib rub all over 'em. I get mine off same way as the video, I just use a towel to dry it, then to kinda "roll" edge up so I can grip and rip.

« Last Edit: February 02/13/20, 07:21:46 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is how I do it too...

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I here ya reb,I have never been able to pull the membrane off like the video shows,I always do a hack job even using paper towel to pull , I DO LIKE fd's rib's once in a while as they have great flavor even with the membrane on,some folks don't like daves ribs,we have a really good pit master in st paul that has a place now but just smoked ribs on a street corner for years,over a 50gal drum cooker on university ave,"Big Daddy" is his name,he too left the membrane on,he taught me a few things and his secret rub,took about a year to get it and a six pack of colt45 but he was tight lipped on his rib sauce,he won many rib competitions over the years often at the state fair competitions,most often I was the only white guy at his stand,great memories tho,he taught me "low n slow" serve no swine before its time,also told me to use chunk wood not chips and don't soak the wood as wet wood messes up the temp to much,and grab a 12 pak and relax as ribs will  smoke all day for best results

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Been there, eaten there. Unfortunately, they sold the place after finally getting it, and now it's owned by two Mexican guys. But, that's St.Paul...lots of neat little ethnic places in the Frogtown area. I love 'em. Great Mexican, ribs, Asian, fish, etc. Take a stroll down Grand Avenue...We'll see how the rib place does.
« Last Edit: February 02/13/20, 09:36:27 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I found the easy way to pull that skin off is to take a butter knife and put it between two ribs toward one end and push down under the skin with the butter knife and then pull the skin forward towards you.  Then just take some paper towel and grip the  skin and it pulls off easy.  I always take the skin off because I want the seasoning to be absorbed on both sides.  good luck.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm told big daddy has a new place off dale street where the old cop shop was located but have'nt been in town for years,last time I was in that area my truck PICKED UP A 9MM slug in the front quarter so no ribs worth getting caught up in a pissing match,but agreed great asian joints,actually a fav is a taste of thailand on selby.mom n pop joint,would bring them a half bucket of gills/crappies summer months,momma sahn would clean a few cook tempra style with thai sides and rice noodles ,made for a killer lunch,at one time they would take all the carp and bullalo fish I shot for they're house special soup which was really good just had to pick out the egg sacks and a few eyeballs.today they push for white bass.

Also the "Hai Ten" on western/univ ave asian deli/grocery store,hot deli in back is great,ever have an inkling for roast duck ,really good roast duck this is your huckle berry,they always have a 1/2 pig cooked /hangin next to the roast ducks they'll cut any way ya want,even serve  pig "tripe" little folks just love that stuff...ishta,large intestines usually still have poop in them?.added flavor I guess?
« Last Edit: February 02/14/20, 11:46:16 AM by snow1 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I found the easy way to pull that skin off is to take a butter knife and put it between two ribs toward one end and push down under the skin with the butter knife and then pull the skin forward towards you.  Then just take some paper towel and grip the  skin and it pulls off easy.  I always take the skin off because I want the seasoning to be absorbed on both sides.  good luck.

Yeah I took your suggestion from a couple years ago reiny,butter knife,paper towel,still a hack and most often to lazy.BUT i'll give it a whirl iffin it ever warms up again.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Been there, eaten there. Unfortunately, they sold the place after finally getting it, and now it's owned by two Mexican guys. But, that's St.Paul...lots of neat little ethnic places in the Frogtown area. I love 'em. Great Mexican, ribs, Asian, fish, etc. Take a stroll down Grand Avenue...We'll see how the rib place does.

Uh, Grand Ave is yuppyville.  University, or maybe Selby.... Not Grand....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Delmart, yer all discombooberated again. Who cares if it's yuppyville? I'm talking FOOD here! Listen up! I practically lived on grand ave when I spent weekends up there.. Dixies BBQ, The Green Onion, The Tavern on Grand....the Uptowner...Kowalski's not far away....(where my cousins wife worked) spots all the way down to Fairview. I ate at all of 'em numerous times. Tavern on Grand is my favorite. Hey, Gorbachev ate there...they might even let you!
« Last Edit: February 02/13/20, 05:25:04 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
                              :crazy: :crazy: :pouty: :pouty:
                                :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
                              :crazy: :crazy: :pouty: :pouty:
                                :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Say, you just pipe down, ya K-ration cook! This here is about real food that's not on a list!    :mooning:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, I bet they had and still do have some great places to eat.  For me St. Paul is a nightmare to drive in.  Way back when my buddies took me to some strip joints there.  But to learn the streets was not for me.  Mpls is much better as far as streets. But I don't like it there as well.  Just don't like big cities at all.  I haven't been back to St. Paul in many years and the same with Mpls.  Like things quiet as much as I can.  I don't even like the drive up 35w up to Duluth.  Once past Duluth I take the scenic route instead of continuing the main highway to Two Harbors.  Love it up there.  But driving through St. Paul for me will never happen unless I HAVE too.  Just don't like big cities.  good luck.