Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Black Bear spotted in the Black Hills  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
SPEARFISH — Almost exactly one year to the date that a black bear was captured on a trail camera near Rochford, another bear was spotted, this time just outside of Spearfish.

Patrick Nickles was sleeping Monday morning in his Mountain Plains home when his dog woke him up barking around 5 a.m.

“He never barks. I told him to go back to sleep, and about 10 second later he barked again,” Nickles said. “I got up and could hear scraping and rummaging.”

He looked out of his window and saw an animal he took at first to be a large dog rifling through his garbage cans near his shed. He knocked on the window to get the animal’s attention.

“I said, ‘Look, there’s a bear.’ Then I thought, ‘Surely that couldn’t possibly be a bear,’” he said. “It ran off and it was indeed a bear.”

He said the bear was cinnamon in color and he estimated it might weigh approximately 200 pounds.

Nickles said his trashcan had a couple teeth marks and scratches on it.

A neighbor’s trail camera captured the bear. A series of four pictures, black and white, shows a bear walking through short grass surrounded by deciduous trees.

For public safety awareness, the Pioneer is identifying the general location to inform residents that there was a predatory animal spotted in their vicinity.

The trail camera photo from 2018, taken by Jonathan Deuter of Black Hawk, shows a dark, not jet-black, bear walking down an overgrown two-track road.

Trenton Haffley, regional terrestrial resource supervisor for the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks, said trying to judge the size of a bear based off of a trail camera photo is very difficult.

He did say that the animals are likely different bears based upon the different colors.

In recent years the occasional bear or wolf sighting in the Black Hills is reported.

In 2016, during the Crow Peak Fire, an Oregon-based hot shot crew reported to Black Hills Pioneer freelance photographer Kacie Jo Marta Nickles, that they saw numerous signs of bears, including scat, while fighting the fire.

“As they wander around like large predators do, that’s just what we are going to see,” Haffley said. “It is important for folks, in that area in particular (Mountain Plains), but really as these animals wander around the Hills, a bear can show up in garbage at any point. Folks just need to be thinking about where they are leaving their garbage, how secure it is, maybe if nothing else put some sort of weight on top of the container to keep the lid down. We don’t want to get bears habituated to garbage.”

Nickles said he has seen bears before in other state, but never imagined he would spot one here.

“I love the wildlife up here. We see everything all the time, but it was the first time I saw a bear,” he said.

“The funniest part was, the puppy who was trying to save the day, when we were walking out, (to go to work) he got to the threshold and would not go outside. He knew there was something big and scary out there.”

Historically, black bears and grizzly bears have lived in the Black Hills. The closest population of black bears would be the Bighorn Mountains, which according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, has, “a robust black bear population.”

Wildlife biologists captured nearly 100 bears from 1988 to 2005. Male bears ranged from 120 pounds to 440 pounds while females weighed 85 to 250 pounds.

Here is a link to the story: https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/black-bear-spotted-near-spearfish/article_0c78a544-982c-11e9-b72b-c3f0ef127e9f.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR3mqed2xhZ72lXCyeSzP2UgoZhLkEACsqk8dG3DNVUVblQ_ahnvRHTlS0k

[attachment deleted by admin]
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Dang, they have Elk, Big horn sheep, Cougar, Bison and just about everything else and no Bear out there? I've been there about 10 times and never heard that?  :confused:  May be we can trade them some bear and Wolves for a few other fun things?   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Dang, they have Elk, Big horn sheep, Cougar, Bison and just about everything else and no Bear out there? I've been there about 10 times and never heard that?  :confused:  May be we can trade them some bear and Wolves for a few other fun things?   :happy1:

I was wondering that too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that surprised me too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
They often mistake bear for Bigfoot. :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
duuh!! black bear....black hills....duuh!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
duuh!! black bear....black hills....duuh!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I also thought that a bit odd.  Just like the headline "mosquitos found in Minnesota".   :crazy:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

The SD Game Fish & Parks recognizes no bear. no moose, and no Timberwolves populations. Anytime any of those species are seen in the state, the media make a big deal out of it and the SD GFP's say that they are just passing through.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN