Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 912799 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's why I like my torch too!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I used one of those chimneys for a while. No real problems with it until the handle caught fire and the whole thing warped from the heat. When I was younger I used to use lighter fluid and  a couple times even used gasoline. I felt like I could notice the taste, too.
Now it’s a fire starting square which is wood fiber with some wax to get it going. I also will not use regular briquettes, only hardwood lump charcoal. Burns hot and holds the fire well. I use a ceramic kamado grill and control the fire with the upper and lower vents. Like Mike said, generally low and slow except to sear. I don’t have a smoker, but can smoke with the grill low on indirect heat.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
True and you find out it doesn't work anymore when you want to grill. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a gas and charcoal grill on the deck. I use and love the charcoal when I have time to lighter her up!  There's nothing better then some good old Kingsford soaked flavored steaks!   :happy1: :happy1:  :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: February 02/14/24, 08:56:13 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I havnt used lighter fluid in close to 30 yrs, nasty. Used several of the electric gizmos they worked good. Have gone thru lots of chimneys,  seems the key to those is dump early and keep the coals stacked until you spread em just a little.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We are on at least our 2nd or 3rd chimney here & at the lake but we've been using them for at least 15, maybe 20 years too. We have a nice Weber gas grill at the lake but other than burgers & brats the good old Weber kettle sees most of the action. About the only time we ever have to add charcoal is when we rotissirie a chicken or smoking a pork butt.
« Last Edit: February 02/15/24, 07:06:39 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a trigger light propane torch I’ve been using to start the coals.
Works great. But the best is the Weber performer with the propane start.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have a brand new chimney someone gave me but have never used it. Used electric starters for many years before I bought the Weber Performer. Used some lighter fluid over the years too. Always tried to get good coverage on the charcoal but was conservative with the amount I used. Really didn't notice an issue as long as I let the coals gray off good before I put stuff on. Performer is nice. Make a cocktail, lite the burner, let 'er run on the baskets for 10 - 15 minutes, do some food prep, shut 'er down, let 'er go ~ another 15 minutes, make another cocktail, spread the coals, & let 'er beller.  :coffee:

tt: As far as adding charcoal, I've rarely needed to do it unless I'm grilling a monster turkey or something. I've done enough stuff on the Weber that I've become pretty good at guessing the amount of charcoal needed. When I have added charcoal, it's when I've been grilling indirect. Seems like if I was proactive enough and the coal piles were still good and hot it didn't matter much. That was with my original Weber without the thermometer in the lid so I had no way to measure any dip in temperature. The main thing was to get it to the finish line by the time guests arrived. And I did.   
« Last Edit: February 02/15/24, 10:26:24 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I had to take a page otta Barry's book and do some searching but found the grilling page :happy1: Sw. Potato sausage on the tailgater,  Glenn you should see these sliced fried taters  with onions and bacon, almost too much fried!!   ;)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks absolutely great.  I love potato sausage.  Especially on the grill.   LOL Ya this site makes me smarter, I think.  LOLOL

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lookout boober!  :shocked:😨

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I had to take a page otta Barry's book and do some searching but found the grilling page :happy1: Sw. Potato sausage on the tailgater,  Glenn you should see these sliced fried taters  with onions and bacon, almost too much fried!!   ;)
you gonna add katchup to the sausage and taters.....be pretty good i'd bet!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
you gonna add katchup to the sausage and taters.....be pretty good i'd bet!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Come to think of it, pretty sure we don't stock katchup  in da house, the spicy secret sauce got the nod!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks darn good Bobber!!!   need to get me some of that sausage as I'm out of it!!!  secret sauce is great!!!   

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Fired up the kettle grill for some burgers, pork medallions and some prime cuts of hot dog. Still not sold on the chimney lighter but I think I'll get used to it. Threw some hickory on the coals.
      Totally unrelated, I discovered my el cheapo phone ( the cheapest smart phone Mattel makes) no longer takes pictures. The flashlight quit on my the third day I had it.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Center cuts marinated all day, grilled indirect w/applewood in the smoker boxes, Mrs. G's  slaw, full fat cottage cheese, & garden beans we froze back in August. Evasive maneuvers served me well once again...:coffee:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great dotch. Was just informed that's what's on the menu tonight.  :happy1:
mm

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :evil: :sleazy: not only that awesome knife but the same plates we got!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

lookin good buddy!!!!!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Dang Dotch,  I'm surprised you were untied so early!!  :bow:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Made the wife a birthday ribeye, and while I was at it a few big pork chops.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
great looking meal and Happy birthday to her!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks awesome  Cooperman.  Yea  :happybday: to da misses.  :happy1:

Spankings later!! :sleazy: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday to Mrs. Coop! 🎂 That steak looks like the state of IN & is almost that big!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/03/24, 07:19:02 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I grilled a thick NY Strip on the Power XL cuz it was so windy and rainy.  Turned out great!  Unknowingly it was in honor of Coops wife.  No wonder it was so good.   :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Congrats to her.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
She says thanks guys.

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good thing the fireplace has slowed momma down.. ;)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
My flat grill fave! Smash burger, thin slice of real pineapple cried egg, toasted pretzle bun. Forgot a slice of ham. Next time.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Looks good Boar. But can't you break eggs w/o breaking the yolk? :confused:

Or did you do that on purpose? :confused:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I can lol but to mu h muscle on that one
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My flat grill fave! Smash burger, thin slice of real pineapple cried egg, toasted pretzle bun. Forgot a slice of ham. Next time.
did the egg "crie" when you broke the yolk? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: