Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Great Week of Ice Fishing  (Read 12457 times)

Offline lakeofthewoodsmn

• Master Outdoorsman
On the south end...  A great week of ice fishing.  In many areas where ice fishing is taking place, ice is over 24" thick with 18-24" of snow.  Ice conditions vary across the lake, resorts and outfitters will advise on weight limits for their ice roads and trails.

Walleyes and saugers are spread out this time of year and anglers are seeing various sizes.  The lake has a big population of small walleyes and saugers coming through which is great for the future.  It means some sorting of fish to find keepers.  Most are catching fish for a fish fry.  Some, if lucky and/or good, catching a slot fish or two or even a trophy walleye over 28 inches.

Most ice fishing is taking place in 26 - 33 feet of water.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, jumbo perch, eelpout, tullibees and an occasional crappie or sturgeon are being caught.

Working a jigging line in one hole combined with a deadstick in the second hole which is usually a live minnow on a plain hook or small walleye jig just off of the bottom is an effective combo.  Noise and rattles in the stained water has been effective. 

If you are seeing fish on your electronics and they are not biting, downsize your presentation.  Gold, pink, green and orange good colors this week. 

On the Rainy River...  Walleye fishing continues best in the mornings and evenings.  Gold, glow or gold combined with glow colors working well.  A jig and minnow close to the bottom has been effective.  Some nice walleyes living in the river.

The snowmobile trail is groomed and staked from Baudette to Wheeler's Point continuing up to the Angle.

Up at the NW Angle...  Good walleye fishing up at the Angle this week.  Resorts are continually moving fish houses keeping them in productive areas.  Walleyes with some saugers, jumbo perch, eelpout and pike mixed in. 

Most fishing taking place in 24-30 feet.  Gold, pink and various glow colors continue to be productive.   

There are various ways to travel to the Angle. 

1.  Drive through Canada  (vaccination and COVID test required). 

2.  Groomed and staked snowmobile trails (stays in MN)

3.  LOW Passenger Service (bombardier service across the lake staying in MN)

4.  Lake Country Air.(stays in MN)

LOW enjoys extended seasons with fish houses on the lake through March, walleye and sauger season open through April 14th and pike open year round.  Lodging and fish house openings are available around the lake.  A complete list at www.LakeoftheWoodsMN.com/Lodging

« Last Edit: February 02/09/22, 05:21:35 PM by HD »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Man ya gota quit allowing the money rule tue lake! Its hurtn bad.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes sir. The fishing is slower then hell with everyone I talk to. They need to quite plowing these roads all the way across the lake. That being said, Glenn tell your buddy to go as far north as you can. That will be the best chance to catch some fish.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been hearing slow fishing too.  Small saugers.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 There were a bunch of wheelhouses on Mn 46 & US 2 again Monday. Going north early & just as many comin south after lunch. I imagine most of those are headed for or have been to LOTW, URL, or Winnie.
« Last Edit: February 02/09/22, 08:27:43 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Yes sir. The fishing is slower then hell with everyone I talk to. They need to quite plowing these roads all the way across the lake. That being said, Glenn tell your buddy to go as far north as you can. That will be the best chance to catch some fish.
i'll do that....but he's not the most ambitious feller....... :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man ya gota quit allowing the money rule tue lake! Its hurtn bad.
not being a smartass by any means here.but what do you mean by that???????

couldnt the same thing be said for the likes of red, winnie, mille lacs  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ice roads, wheelhouses, long season, has propelled icefishing to a whole nother level, and LOW AINT ADJUSTING TO it properly. Red lake is under a microscope, they wont hesitat to shut it down if they feel they need to. Wheel house let a guy stay as long as her wantz. Catching fish over 25 ft of water and reasing them, all dead.mostly the little ones. Ice roads allow wheel house to access parts of the lake like never before, fish can hide anywhere. 10,000 to 20,000 wheelehouse anygiven weekend, high mortality on relased fished, eating fish, double dipping ect ect. Its getting hurt bad, when they do something about it will be to late and LOW is in for a 10 yr recovery. GREED!!!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ice roads, wheelhouses, long season, has propelled icefishing to a whole nother level, and LOW AINT ADJUSTING TO it properly. Red lake is under a microscope, they wont hesitat to shut it down if they feel they need to. Wheel house let a guy stay as long as her wantz. Catching fish over 25 ft of water and reasing them, all dead.mostly the little ones. Ice roads allow wheel house to access parts of the lake like never before, fish can hide anywhere. 10,000 to 20,000 wheelehouse anygiven weekend, high mortality on relased fished, eating fish, double dipping ect ect. Its getting hurt bad, when they do something about it will be to late and LOW is in for a 10 yr recovery. GREED!!!
:happy1: i hear ya!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just talking to a buddy and he said the roads only goes out 14 miles now. To much wind and snow.  :happy1: That is good for the fishery. So Glenn, Go where ever your buddy likes to go.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just talking to a buddy and he said the roads only goes out 14 miles now. To much wind and snow.  :happy1: That is good for the fishery. So Glenn, Go where ever your buddy likes to go.
okay dokey. He has a new lake chip for LOTW's and keeps talking about finding a little hump or structure to sit by.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Weather system are gona be to unstable, fishing will suck
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Weather system are gona be to unstable, fishing will suck
:pouty: oh boar my friend...  :confused: always a sourpuss!! :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So... Just thinking out loud here. What would be the chance of sitting out in the middle of this lake, or no where,  :rotflmao: and having a tipup down 10-12 ft and getting into a big ole pike???

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The greedy SOB's do the same thing with the crappie here. If it's not 12-13" they're throwin 'em back even though they're almost always coming out of 25-50 fow this time of year. :angry2: Because they don't float right away, they try convincing themselves they'll survive. :bs: Easy to spot too as there's usually 6-8 eagles circling the buffet table. :sad:
« Last Edit: February 02/10/22, 12:15:12 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah I'm not a fan of fishing deep water for that reason. Winter or summer. If and when I do, for crappies I keep what I catch.

That's the real sucky part of all these slots. What do you do with a slot fish??? Release it and it does, or risk a ticket??? :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So... Just thinking out loud here. What would be the chance of sitting out in the middle of this lake, or no where,  :rotflmao: and having a tipup down 10-12 ft and getting into a big ole pike???
try it!!! :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah I'm not a fan of fishing deep water for that reason. Winter or summer. If and when I do, for crappies I keep what I catch.

That's the real sucky part of all these slots. What do you do with a slot fish??? Release it and it does, or risk a ticket??? :confused:
:scratch: I've kept 2-3 in my livewell for 20 minutes or more, continually running fresh water, that went 24-26" in the last couple years just to make sure they'd make it. I wasn't really fishing that deep either, 18-20', but they fought really hard & it was very obvious when I released them right away that they wouldn't make it. A few other smaller slots too but I just said WTH, if they want to give me a ticket, they can.
« Last Edit: February 02/10/22, 12:15:52 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
This time of year glenn on Low, 3ft off the bottom 6inch to 8 inch su ker
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
It can all pay off puttin a sucker 2ft under the ice, pike have learn thers a buffet from all the dead dinks that have been released and floated back up this can be effectice around resort houses
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It can all pay off puttin a sucker 2ft under the ice, pike have learn thers a buffet from all the dead dinks that have been released and floated back up this can be effectice around resort houses
that's what I was thinking.

I haven't decided yet,my buddy says he's never tried it???

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve done that. Usually when the bite slows down, just to try something different. Caught a few decent northerns doing it. Often used a big airplane jig with multiple dead minnows hanging from it.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Pike can be caught anywhere and any time in the lake. Like Boar said alot of them will cruise under the ice lookers for the dinks that float under the ice. Also have caught them right off the bottom too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Made it to wadena!! Onward we go.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

slow start??  were you late getting there???   :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

slow start??  were you late getting there???   :scratch:
:pouty: :tut: I was 15 minutes earlier then he said to be at his house.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Why yu even going, fishing is gona suck, you cant fish, and yu can drink from yur couch...
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :mooning: we are going to be going past cookies and red lake soon. Roads kinda suck and just started snowing.

Boar... A bad day fishing is still a better day at home. :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :mooning: we are going to be going past cookies and red lake soon. Roads kinda suck and just started snowing.

Boar... A bad day fishing is still a better day at home. :happy1:

or at work!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
An empty pocket book and nuthing to show for it sucks.
78.50"