Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: check this out ....... coyote hunt is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4736 times)

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
Coyotes attacking pets in the Twin Cities area

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) – Coyotes are suspected in at least five attacks on dogs since September in this growing Twin Cities suburb.

Resident Brad Briggs had to break up a bloody street chase between a coyote and his 22-pound Jack Russell terrier, Jack, last month. Shouting and flailing his arms, the electrical engineer shooed the coyote away from the feisty terrier.

“This animal just stopped in the street, kind of cocked his head and just stared at us,” Briggs said of the coyote.

After a long pause, the coyote sauntered between two houses across the street and disappeared into the woods. The encounter left Jack with a puncture wound on his shoulder and a couple of scrapes.

The Department of Natural Resources said the coyotes have been seen throughout the Twin Cities – most recently in Minnetonka and Eagan. Eagan residents have called in 33 coyote-related reports this year, including one coyote sighting across from a school. Sixteen of them have occurred since early November.

Police and trappers believe the rise of new subdivisions could be disturbing coyote dens, that warmer winters have encouraged the animals’ survival and that there are simply more people around to spot them.

The agency knows of no coyote attacks on humans in Minnesota.

On Dec. 6, Kirby, a wheaten terrier, was bitten after his owner left him off his leash in Blackhawk Park, according to police records and photos. Another dog walker told Kirby’s owner he had seen two coyotes where the dog had roamed.

Last year, coyotes were suspected in at least two reported casualties in Eagan – a cat and a beagle named Lucy – in a neighborhood near Caponi Art Park.

Police said residents should keep their dogs on leashes and keep pet food inside. They are also considering whether to trap coyotes.

Police Chief Kent Therkelsen also urged consideration for the animals.

“Coyotes don’t have Disney movies made about them, but there has to be some sensitivity to where urban wildlife and civilizations meet,” he said. “We can’t wildlife-proof Eagan.”

ss and griz grab your traps and guns and lets get'em :fudd: :fudd:
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 02/08/08, 10:57:00 AM by repoman »

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Yeah right.... we would have tree huggers all over are  :moon: and then some. The headline would read then Trapper brutally catches dog named foo foo... I say let them eat there dogs and cats and other pets then maybe the will realize they need us trappers and hunters to control them.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
all we need to do is knock on some doors :whistling:

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had that problem up here with timber wolves every so often and all the dog owners got from the dnr was oh well, maybe a state trapper can do somthing or the wolf will move on.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
We have had that problem up here with timber wolves every so often and all the dog owners got from the dnr was oh well, maybe a state trapper can do somthing or the wolf will move on.

they may move on but they will be back , they know a food scorce when they see one  :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i have been seeing more and more coyotes around my area as well. the dog started growling last night at the glass door because sometimes he see's his reflection and dont realize its him so i ignored it and he just kept doing it until i just turned out the livingroom light so he couldnt see his reflection and he kept on about it and i looked out the window and there was a coyote standin in the yard sniffing around. and im in town so i couldnt do anything. thought about trying to shoot him out of the upstairs window with my bow but i dont wanna do anything illegal now  :banghead:

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
set a trap out , i believe you can trap legally till the end of the month , and i dont think you need a lic on your own property either ... just check the regs .. but id put a trap out ... :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
i called the dnr, and he came out to my house and i told him my situation, he said there has been a few complaints, i told him its been in my yard every night, i asked him if i could shoot him with my bow. first i had to prove that i can shoot to him because he didnt want a wounded coyote runnig around. then he gave me the go ahead  but call him if i shoot him. so i shot him on monday night. they came out and took him the next morning do some testing on to make sure he didnt have rabies and such. so in the end i got to shoot a coyote in my back yard with a bow so im happy

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Way to go Cody.  You got in a little winter hunting.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i called the dnr, and he came out to my house and i told him my situation, he said there has been a few complaints, i told him its been in my yard every night, i asked him if i could shoot him with my bow. first i had to prove that i can shoot to him because he didnt want a wounded coyote runnig around. then he gave me the go ahead  but call him if i shoot him. so i shot him on monday night. they came out and took him the next morning do some testing on to make sure he didnt have rabies and such. so in the end i got to shoot a coyote in my back yard with a bow so im happy

s.w.e.e.t  :party3: :party3: :toast:

Offline Buddy

• Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Cody, did ya take some pics?

It's great they let ya shoot it!    :dancinred:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nice look'en dog!

I left you a muskie note too, on your other post!   :rotflmao:
Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
 are they gonna let you take the pelt  or something  for your trophy  ??????

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
nope...just told me that i could shoot it. kind of a bummer because he had a nice coat on him.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
way cool story         are you baiting now :rotflmao:
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Cool!!!  Good job there man.  Now you can tell them Yotes --  :kermit:

Even a photo can make a decent trophy.  Im happy for ya man.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.