Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cougars in MN ???????  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got this email this morning

What do you think ? Real ?

How would you like to look out your back door and see this??

From a guy out in Ham Lake, MN. Pictures taken from his kitchen onto his deck. The cat was watching his little kids playing on the kitchen floor. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
If that was taken in Ham lake, I would have to believe that someone has an exotic pet that got loose.

Wild cougers like to stay out of site, not on someones porch. (maybe if they are REALLY hungry, they might)

:fudd:

Very Cool though! :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
lol not these pics again, i got those about 3 years ago saying they were from park rapids...... but then there was also a story that it is a pet cat and that they took pics of??? who knows

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
that has to be someones pet...otherwise if this is a wild cat it wouldnt want to be seen unless its starving then you have a problem on your hands...and should tell the DNR of any sightings of a cougar anywere in mn. and they probally would of hunted this one down and put it down because its a danger to humans....very cool pics though

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I dare anyone to find an outdoors site that hasn't had these pics posted at least twice in the last 2 weeks.

Great pics.  Lots of talk about them.

Word on the street is that they were shot in Idaho about 3 years ago.

Maybe I should claim they're from Forest Lake next time.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
that has to be someones pet...otherwise if this is a wild cat it wouldnt want to be seen unless its starving then you have a problem on your hands...and should tell the DNR of any sightings of a cougar anywere in mn. and they probally would of hunted this one down and put it down because its a danger to humans....very cool pics though

and why would they hunt it and kill it?? there are many cougars in MN...

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
im sure but if a cougar is acting like that approaching ppl and if its a threat they will put it down because it could potential attack someone

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
Its my new pheasant dog....a cougarhoundermeiner, doesn't point or anything, just kills and eats them..j/k  Definetly not Ham lake ? That fat cat has been eating very well for mid winter, kinda scary though, If it was on my porch like that It would meet Mr. Redhawk and thats all folks
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline TNT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
old pic,
got that one a couple years ago, thought it was taken in S.D.

found it,

"From a guy out at Martin, SD. Pictures taken from his kitchen onto his
patio deck.  It was watching his little kids on the
kitchen floor! "

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
We do have them here tho... and northern WIs as well, when i had my game farm in white lake wis  the Dnr found a family of them in one of the many caves there by kettle bowl.. 20 from Antigo
I know nothing of the pics tho.. but i do know we have them up here too
ng
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline h2ofwlr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Buzz at 8 MOs
I thought the subject was going to be much different.  Cougar is also slang for a mature woman on the prowl...   :whistling:  In that sense, there are lots of Cougars in MN... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/25/08, 02:12:28 PM by h2ofwlr »
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks I am.

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
Why do you think one of the camp Y girls got the name Couger????   :whistling:   :whistling:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I thought the subject was going to be much different.  Cougar is also slang for a mature woman on the prowl...   :whistling:  In that sense, there are lots of Cougars in MN... :rotflmao:

I work with a guy who is late 50's maybe even 60 and he always talks about "Cougars". That was the first time I ever heard this before ;D

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Wait!!!

There are cougars in Mn and as a matter of fact they are even found in St. Paul!! I even have a pic to prove it.

Forum maintenance

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
I think i am one... I date younger men..
Ng
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Fiasco

• Outdoorsman
I'm told by a few people that live near the Wildlife Refuge near Santiago that they have had at least one cougar in their little development. And "they" say that the refuge itself has a few in it but I've never seen firsthand evidence. Most of this stuff comes second hand. At the same time, I don't think there's any reason to think there aren't Cougars in there. The fact that we don't see them means nothing. They're cougars and aren't quite as stupid as deer.
It's a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience."

President Reagan

Offline 3willy

• Outdoorsman
  • work fasinates me I love to watch it be done
Have seen tracks and hear stories about them in western minn but never saw one in person. There were trail cam pics of on suposedly on the south dakota side of lake travers last year and a couple unconfirmed reports of one in the morris area. I beleive very much they are here. We have the yotes running around like rats why not a cougar. When i was a kid growing up in western mn we never had possoms yotes ore anything like that now look what we have running around in this state. Things change.

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I live in Forest Lake, in what used to be the Township.  I've personally seen one cougar walk through our yard, and seen the tracks of two others.  In all three cases, they are confirmed - in other words, there's no question in my mind what I saw.

The last sighting was about a year ago, and the tracks were unmistakeable, and went across lawn, concrete drive and blacktop road.   Pretty tough to screw up that ID.  Dog was going berserk in the kennel - I went out and told him to knock it off.  He kept barking - I went out to look - saw nothing.  About an hour later I headed out and released the dog for our nightly walk.  He ran right to the tracks, lifted his leg, and showed me what I had missed.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Alright. I will chime in with a serious story here. This happened probably in 99 or 2000 in the Taylors Falls area. It was an evening bow hunt and it was getting pretty dark. I had not seen a thing and it was almost time to get down. Out in the distance I picked up some movement and by the size of the animal I knew it was a deer. There were a lot of trees so I kept loosing site of it but I knew it was moving fast. As it got closer I realized that if it was a deer that it had to be a fawn or yearling as it was a little smaller than I first thought. And then it got closer and I knew it wasn't a deer just by its movements. It was almost gliding across the ground and then I thought coyote or fox for sure but as it got closer I knew no way a fox was that big and I'm sure that a coyote doesn't look like that either. I never could identify this animal. I think I ran this by my aunt who said maybe a fisher? That type of body sounded right but who would mistake a fisher for a deer at a distance? I will never know what that animal was but it spooked me a bit especially having to get down in the dark 10 minutes later! Maybe it was the elusive Mn cougar? The scary thing was that this was that same year that alll those black cat spottings had been happening around the Hugo area and north. It was dark but this thing could of been black. I can picture it perfect in my head just re-telling this story.

Offline letgofishing

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I saw 2 cougars one in Faribault, one in Planviews, Mn. while i bow deer season not bother me...
Daniel Rud

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
I saw 2 cougars one in Faribault, one in Planviews, Mn. while i bow deer season not bother me...

is it just me or are there words missing here  :oops1:    :rotflmao:      ;D