Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: TRAPPING EQUIPMENT.  (Read 4153 times)

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Looking to get back into trapping again after about 15 years. I was wondering about traps and gear? Anybody locally sell things in central minnesota?? I have noticed that local chain stores have limited supplies and if they do have it are spendy.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes there are. I looked to see you are from central MN. I don't know wher in central MN but lots of fur buyers sell supplies. Stay away from chain stores as the price is unreal, almost double. Otherwise look at a trappers supply an they can ship them. A couple are located right here in MN and one of them I know ships out in 24 hrs. of recieving the order. Believe me I talked to him and he's got 10 hrs. sleep this week.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i dont know what ever happened to lee (superstar) but i know he had tons to sell , if anyone can findem still i heard he moved so ......

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Hey Griz I'm from the Freeport, Melrose area. Rumor has it you like to spear to.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Griz I'm from the Freeport, Melrose area. Rumor has it you like to spear to.

Yea It's one of the few rumors that are true. A Big supply place is only 15 mi south of me.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
check online at minnesota trappers assoc.........fur takers of america........both have many minnesota listings........danbury wisconsin -the fur shed........

also any minnesota district officer can make some local been there references...local conservation officers know most of the local fur buyers as well..........tw
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Here is a link to someone selling some traps on CL.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/spo/897273409.html
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you manage to find some gear? If so any luck getten em out?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline mnsportsman49

• Outdoorsman
  • ehhjioeigfoeioieoijeijo
hey griz i got 3 1.5 footholds and im wanting to get them out . just remember the steps to geting them ready ? boiling , dyeing , waxing , etc...
if you have any sugg id appreciate it  :happy1:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
What are you planning on going after?

For the most part dying and waxing are to protect the trap. If in a rush for land trapping you can get by with either boiling or washing with high pressure. Water trapping you can use right out of the box but it helps to break up the outline with a couple water soaked leaves.

Don't forget to tune the traps as that can make the difference tween a catch and a miss.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline mnsportsman49

• Outdoorsman
well truth be told im geen at the whole trapping thing a buddy brought me out a few times and showed me the basics but still green!  tuneing the traps ? and im interested i geting coon , maybe some minks if the water dont freeze uo to quick on me .

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This would be easier done if I had a way to post pics. I'll try anyhow.

All your realy trying to do is take away the slop and creep in the trigger action. Start by filing the end of the dog just so that it's square. If the dog eye is really big you can pinch it down some to make it a bit tighter to the frame.

Then file the pan notch and end so that it's square. Ther are a number of ways to do it but for mink and coon I like a hair trigger. Meaning the pan will drop about 1/4 inch to fire the trap. Now you don't need to file down the end of the pan notch all the way to do this. Just file another notch into the pan notch end, typically referred to as a night latch because you can set them in the dark just by the sound of the click. This is how all my traps are rigged as most of my trappin is in the dark.

Next is Pan tension for mink there should be none. Tighten the pan bolt if it has one til there is no side to side wobble but loose enough so the pan falls on it's own. Now just set the trap and look at it from the side if the pan sits higher than the jaws it needs to be lowered if it's too low it might not fire and need to be raised. To adjust this bend the frame where the dog is attached just slightly. You might want to fire the trap before doing that as it will fire sometimes just by bending it.

I hope I explained this well enough that it helps.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline mnsportsman49

• Outdoorsman
thank you ! i really appreciate it griz  :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: