Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: help identifying den  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've been seeing this more:  den

The image is a badger den, but I don't know if what I am seeing is a badger den or something else.

There are a bunch of these holes turning up both upland and near the swamp.  One hole near the swamp must have been 2-3 feet deep, and started to fill up with water.

Can a rabbit do this too, or just a badger?

*Linked picture into post-Scott

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/23/08, 08:20:40 AM by Scott »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Do you have any pic's?

Cause it could be a fox den too.....

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't really see the tracks very good. Can see there are a bunch in the dirt though. What diameter is the hole can't really tell from the pic. A rabbit den will normally go straight down a few feet and then go horizontal. Other animals will also dig holes similar to this. I am guessing it is an animal digging after food since theree are a number of them showing up in the area. Top 2 guesses would be a badger or skunk.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
put a set gun there and find out... jk i would guess its something digging for food also. i would find those type of holes out in the fields where we hunt. if it is a den, try to smooth the dirt around it and see if you can get some good tracks.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The photo is just a photo on the internet that looks very similar to what I've been seeing.

The holes are 6-8 inches in diameter.  Some are inclined and some are straight down.  I have not seen any animals by them, but I have almost stepped in them.  The holes in general are in the tall grass, 20+ yards away from any thick brush.

Offline corky

• Outdoorsman
It sounds like badgers digging after gophers.  I've come across a badger digging like this on a couple of occasions and am amazed at how fast they can create a hole.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
its a badger i say. a few like this have shown up by the pheasant pens at the game farm, just got to find the digger and get rid of him....any ideas besides shooting him? cant put out traps because one of the dogs could get caught in it.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
From the information told I would say a small badger digging after it's dinner.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline repomanjr

• Outdoorsman
START SETING SOME TRAPS  ;)
life isen't fair
sometimes your pigeon
sometimes your the statue

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
If it's a badger and after dinner it won't be back to that hole. It already got what it wanted.
~Thomas Jefferson