Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote Hunting  (Read 3205 times)

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Who's getting ready to thump some coyotes after last call for bow-season?

What methods do you use, what weapon, what calls?

For us we always use two people caller/shooter. Occasionally we meet up with other people and do a couple drives similar to deer hunting, but normally we go out in the mornings real early, evenings, and full moon nights. I use a .270 with hand load 90 grain that a friend customizes for me (don't ask). I shot one last year calling it in and it didn't do too much to the pelt. On average from last year we usually had one come within sight on about 1 out of 7 sets. We shot six last year with three guys.

I've got a johnny stewart electronic call, and use a close-reed call on occasion. I also have a mouse squeaker to stop them, or coax them in if they are hanging up.

This is my third year of doing this, so I am always learning more with each time in the field.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I should have been out on the last full moon.

I have a johnny stewart myself as well as a couple mouth blowers. I never use a mouse squeeker just a lip squeek or kiss if ya wanna call it that.

I got 2 weapons a BPS mag 10 for tight cover and a 220 swift for more open areas. Some places I'd bring both but now this yr I picked up another weapon. It's a savage model 24 with a 22 hornet on top and a 12 ga on the bottom. I will prolly use that alot as the hornet can be pushed out to 200 yds and the 12 ga could cover the close stuff.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking of getting out pretty soon. I bought one of those new electronic callers and want to try it out. I would use my AR-15. We used to walk ditches and wood patches, but we are getting to old for that.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This w/e should be pretty good to get out at night, I think it's a full moon out. Hopefully the weather will cooperate to get a few sogn dogs. Who is planning on going out?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i have over two hundred mouth blown calls....only one electronic..and i love it.....in very cold weather they freeze up (mouth blown)mighty quick.....after a couple years they make wierd sounds.....i think they all work...some just better than others......we hunt yotes from ne minnesota all the way to plentywood montana...out west they call them silver tips the hides are so pretty......i shoot a scoped 223 in open country....12 ga w/ turkey loads for brush wolves (red phased coytoes)....there is some awesome gopher hunting in idaho.....praire dogs in south dak......and red fox in southern minnesota.....we hunt remote lakes at night.....and any river.streambed, creek ridge during the day.......i always hunt in tandem we cover the 360...we hunt until the tails start lookin rubbbed........night shots are great until you pull the trigger....the muzzle blast blinds you for abit.......another reason to hunt with a partner.....
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Heading out tonight. Hopefully she stays clear for us down here.

TW- I wish we had the lakes to do that down here. Seems like the best place to find tracks for fox and yotes is up north near our banks in the winter.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
you have any creek beds......drainage ways, dry rivers..

or .....its an odd land formation in farm country but if you can find it.......its a dogs runway........

you want two hill tops........that run parallel to each other.......maybe a hundred yards apart.....that go for maybe a mile......i think there called drumlins........pick the downwind ends to set up......good luck ......let me know how ya do.....im going to deer shack tonight.....supposed to be 14 below......were all going bigfoot hunting.....otta be a hoot.......
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
looks like I found the right place Iam a green horn at dog hunting think my .06 is to mutch what about MC greger is it ok up there
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
you have any creek beds......drainage ways, dry rivers..

or .....its an odd land formation in farm country but if you can find it.......its a dogs runway........

you want two hill tops........that run parallel to each other.......maybe a hundred yards apart.....that go for maybe a mile......i think there called drumlins........pick the downwind ends to set up......good luck ......let me know how ya do.....im going to deer shack tonight.....supposed to be 14 below......were all going bigfoot hunting.....otta be a hoot.......

Had a good moonlit night last Friday night, my partner in crime could not go with me so I decided to hit a couple spots near town by myself around 9 pm. It was looking real good for distance shooting then the clouds came as I was setting up for my first call session. Visibility as I ranged was about 120 yards on snow only, anything else would be a pot shot (weeds, small saplings, etc..). Soon as I started blowin on the call the wind immediately switched and made a great scenario for some yote training so I beat it out of there. I moved to another place within a mile of there and set up again. Nothing.

Made my last set up on knoll overlooking a field that I could see for a good 1/4 mile or so with a large hardwoods creek right behind the treeline. Same scenario, wind blowin all directions, had one skirt the woods opposite side of me, came directly downwind of me at 200+ then winded me, no shot.

By the time I made it home @ 12 a.m. my butt-cheecks were so frozen I had to thaw them out in the morning with a hairdryer.....oh well, it was fun.
-WC Fields