Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: bear hunting  (Read 1623 times)

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
i was thinking about trying bear hunting for the first time this year, i was wondering how the lottery system works, and how you select your bait sites and register them? basicly anything that you need to do leagally to be able to hunt the bear.
also if anyone is in the duluth area and would like to show me the ropes and have themselves a hardworking assistant this season let me know.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i got drawn last year but wasnt able to go(work got in the way) but i was going with an outfitter, so i know thats not really any help to you. its not hard to get drawn though.

Offline Jeremy (Yeti)

• Outdoorsman
I've been a few times and have always applied online.  If you are drawn in the lottery they will send you a book in the mail with everything you need to know as well as a schedule for advanced bear hunting classes in your area, which I would recommend attending.  Basically the baiting goes like this, you need to know the latitude and longitude coordinates for the land you will be hunting on, these will be written on a form which gets mailed to the MN DNR.  Then your acutal bait station needs to be label, which consists of you making a sign to hang in the trees near your station with your name and license number on the sign.  I hunt about 35 miles south of Duluth but I wont be bear hunting this year.  However, if you want more pointers I would be willing to give you the knowledge I have and like I said before I would recommend the class. 

P.S. Try mixing dog food, koolaid powder and molasis for bait.
There's nothing like a day in the stand.

Offline MnDeerStalker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would love to try it but I live in the southern part of the state so I would have to find an outfitter to go to. I know it takes alot of time with all the baiting.

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
I go every year and do DIY and I live 10 hours away. I go the week before and set out baits then back the following to rebait and to hunt! we get 1-2 bears a year with 4 of us