Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 09' trapping season  (Read 1718 times)

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 What are your plans for the 09'trapping season with the low fur prices? trap like normal? or cut back and not trap as much or not trap at all?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually prolly trap more. I don't mind trapping with little value. It's one of them things that ya just make up for it by catching more, to pay for the gas. Seasons like the up coming will prolly show little competition. That is the perfect time for someone just starting to learn. The animals teach them as they trap. If they ain't catching anything they ain't learning anything either.

Myself would rather catch 400 coon at $10 than a 100 at $40. 400 coon will teach me alot more than a 100. Just from experience I found that when prices are high I only take home half my catch anyhow. Meaning I prolly caught 200 but only can claim 100. That would be due mostly to theft from greedy and inexperienced trappers.

Also am planning on running a larger weasel line. Havn't set my goal yet but I don't like goals that are a piece of cake to achieve. I am thinking maybe a few hundred. Late season coon Try a few new things an see how that works out for me. See how it goes this fall with work as that pretty much dictates how if any fall trappin I'll be diong. Spring gophers and beavers, guess I've been thinking of next yr as I was pulling my traps this yr. Now I just got to start getting all my gear ready.

To me trapping with high prices is kinda like running the high hurdles after after getting your feet slapped with a maul. If prices are real low then all of a sudden jump up unexpectedly, thats when you make money. Other than that it's just paying your expenses to trap, hopefully.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson