Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: J.C. Higgins Model 20  (Read 5042 times)

Offline perch destroyer

• Outdoorsman
I inherited my Dad`s JCHiggins 12 ga. that my Mom said He bought in the early 50`s when He got home from Korea (Sears/Roebuck).The gun probably doesn`t have over a 100 shells shot through it. I took it out last fall for some ringneck hunting and later when trying to clean it, couldn`t figure out how to remove the barrel. Anyone have any experience with this gun?

Behold The Fisherman. He riseth up early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations!
 He goeth forth full of hope, and when the day is spent--- He returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him!

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I can't find any pictures in my books to see if it was made by Winchester ,Savage,or Mossberg for Sears & Robuck.

Sears and or J.C Higgens never made thier own guns, they bought from who ever was willing to sell to them with thier name brand on it.

Mainly Mossberg and Winchester, but Savage as well.

If it is a mossberg you just have to take off the magazine nut,and pull the barrel out while twisting it a little back and forth.
The slid may have to be back a little ways to give the barrel room to move.

I am not to familar with the Winchesters, but will assume they are simular.

Sorry I can't be of more help, if you can't get it let me know and I can dig into it farther for you.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
could not have said it better Benny,,,let me know if I can help yea out
Shut up and Shoot

Offline perch destroyer

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for the help. There is just a collar held in place by a screw connecting the barrel and magazine. Looking in the chamber I think I can see barrel threads going into the chamber, but had no luck in getting it to break loose. This gun sat in a gun rack for many years and is probably siezed up pretty tight,so may have to let some WD-40 loosen it up.
 I`ll keep trying, thanks again.
Behold The Fisherman. He riseth up early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations!
 He goeth forth full of hope, and when the day is spent--- He returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him!

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok that's not a Mossberg made one.Sounds like a Winchester, but not sure yet how they come apart.

If you see threads just behind where the barrel stops in the reciever then it probably is screwed in.

It will take a barrel vice and some peatrating oils to free it.

Best off not bothering with it as it's only a J.C Higgens.
I would just take it out side and remove as much stuff as posible, then take a spray can of GUN SCRUB and spray the crap out of it.

Then air dry and coat with your favorite gun oil.

Benny

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sounds alot like a model 12 to me
Shut up and Shoot

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
be careful Benny, that's not JUST a j.c.Higgins.
it was his father's j.c.Higgins :)

destroyer, i would bet any reputable gunsmith would take that barrel out for you for less than twenty buck, and show you how to do it yourself next time.

i remember that gun and if it would make you feel better to get it apart for thorough cleaning, then i recommend taking it in.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
How true it is, sorry I forgot it was a keep sake.

The value is in the memories, so I would have to agree with Jiggle on taking it in if you want a super good job done.

Another point might be that since it is a keepsake, you could look at a reblue and have the wood refinished to make it look like a new gun.

That would be  up to you though, that could cost some money to do it.

If your just looking to get it cleaned up to ward off any rust or problems due to crud then what I told you earlier about the gun scrub will work to clean it out.

I don't know that I would try to hard to get the barrel out, could distort the reciever with all the torque needed to get it loose.

Benny

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The chances are with only 100 shells through it,,,Its not all to dirty I'm not sure if I would even bother with taking off the barrel,,,

I agree with both Benny and jiggle,

use your fav. gun oil and give it a nice coat,,

If the gun is relay dirty and you want the barrel off,,,,It sounds like the gun is more of a model 12 and the one screw on the barrel band should take it off.

OR!! you could take it down to St. Croix falls and have Todd take the gun apart and put it in his ultra sound..how ever I'm kinda thinking that this gun is not that bad off..

one more thing is if you decide to clean it your self and not take the barrel off is to shoot a few rounds through it first..it there is any kind of unwanted anything in there it will come out easer that way,, use only lead shells in that gun if you want to take good care of it.

If you need any more confusing on this matter I'm sure we can all help yea out some more,,,,

good luck and if you need some more help you can pm me and I will be more than happy to talk to you on the phone..
Shut up and Shoot

Offline perch destroyer

• Outdoorsman
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This is a great site. I have three boys 16, 14, and 12 and myself shooting trap on a league this summer down here in southern Mn. We`ve done this for a few years now. We all look foward to it.

Offline perch destroyer

• Outdoorsman
Talked with a gun smith at the gun club the other night, had the Higgins shotgun with, and asked him how to remove the barrel. He asked "why do you want to remove the barrel", and I said to give it a proper cleaning. "You can`t remove the barrel, it is pressed into the chamber." He looked at the gun a little more and remarked how well made they were and that he owned one as well.
 You learn something new every day.