Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: book of ice houses  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Daniela

Hi,
I hope I am not intruding on this forum. I am originaly from Europe and live in Minnesota. I love Minnesota! When winter came, it was first time I saw ice fishing houses. It was astonishing. I want to buy a book with beautiful ice fishing houses and send it to my father. Is there such a book?
Thank you in adance for any ideas you might provide. 

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
First welcome to MNO!  ::welcome::

Second, there was a woman writting a book last year and she told me it would be full of pictures of ice fishing houses.  I don't know the name of the author, or the book, or when it might be out.  So I guess I'm not of much help-yet.  I'll do some digging and see if I can't come up with something. 

Enjoy your stay in Minnesota and your time on MNO.  You're not intruding-MNO/MWO is for anyone and everyone. 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Well here you go:

The Fish House Book-Life on Ice in the Northland <----click here

The authors' name is Kathryn Nordstrom, she is who I spoke to.  The link is to the Barnes & Noble site.  I think this is just the book you're looking for. 

The Fish House Book

Life on Ice in the Northland
by Kathryn Nordstrom

with an essay by Arnold R. Alanen

Fish houses are typically small in scale and simply built. Because of their utilitarian and functional features, they serve as examples of what scholars term 'vernacular' buildings. But even though the form and construction of fish houses may be basic, a rich tradition of folklore, common sense, and science is associated with them. Ice fishing, in fact, often serves as the stuff of legend, and many of its practices are imbued with substantial doses of humor and levity. As revealed by the images that comprise the body of Kathryn Nordstrom's book, some fish houses are so unique and idiosyncratic that they may be identified as "folk art on ice."

from the essay by Arnold Alanen

128 pages soft cover ~ 10" x 8 1/2" ~ full color with over 200 photographs featuring fish houses, fishing contests, winter activities, a fish house parade, and much more!

« Last Edit: September 09/13/09, 12:24:41 AM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Set The Hook Guide

• Outdoorsman
  • Twin Cities Fishing at it's Best!
    • Set The Hook Guide Service
I seen a book on icehouses last night at the MN store at Ridgedale Mall. This book had some great pictures. From small houses to big fancy lake Mille Lacs houses.
Todd Stauffer
Set The Hook Guide Service
Lake Minnetonka, Waconia & Beyond
1-952-454-3266
www.setthehookguide.com

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well here you go:

The Fish House Book-Life on Ice in the Northland <----click here

The authors' name is Kathryn Nordstrom, she is who I spoke to.  The link is to the Barnes & Noble site.  I think this is just the book you're looking for. 

The Fish House Book

Life on Ice in the Northland
by Kathryn Nordstrom

with an essay by Arnold R. Alanen

Fish houses are typically small in scale and simply built. Because of their utilitarian and functional features, they serve as examples of what scholars term 'vernacular' buildings. But even though the form and construction of fish houses may be basic, a rich tradition of folklore, common sense, and science is associated with them. Ice fishing, in fact, often serves as the stuff of legend, and many of its practices are imbued with substantial doses of humor and levity. As revealed by the images that comprise the body of Kathryn Nordstrom's book, some fish houses are so unique and idiosyncratic that they may be identified as "folk art on ice."

from the essay by Arnold Alanen

128 pages soft cover ~ 10" x 8 1/2" ~ full color with over 200 photographs featuring fish houses, fishing contests, winter activities, a fish house parade, and much more!

That is a really neat book... full of interesting pictures

Offline Daniela

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You are great! This is exactly what I was looking for. :happy1: It's hard to describe largesse and beauty of America. This also show how to do proper fishing in style. This book provides some detail of Minnesota  essential equipment;). Boat is another one. I am learning. Thank you again and enjoy fishing!