Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: High School Hockey Tourney Time!  (Read 3451 times)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Its time for the Hockey Tourney once again... some really good teams in it, good matchups and a good mix of small but talented schools,(some Iron range schools) and some big schools... My question is, what do you think about the private schools going head to toe with the smaller schools?  Ive always liked the david vs goliath aspect of the tourney, but I question the ethics somewhat of the private schools pulling talent away from public schools... It was bad enough that they diluted the tourney to different classes, which i can live with, but Im starting to have second thought bout the direction things are going...

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The small schools are doing it also. Warroad has recruited players for years. It effected my niece this year. That is the problem with open enrollment. M.S.H.S.L. only worries about whos paying there bills.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I have heard that.... didnt the MSHSL put the clampers on it a bit by making students sit out a year if they transfered?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Hasn't that been going on for years? I know they did it when I was in high school and heard of it when I was even younger. Its sports and they are competitive. Take a look at youth hockey, talk about psychotic!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i know in football if u transfer to a high class(5A) or a lower class you dont have to sit out but if u transfer to a different school in the same class u have to sit out a year. same thing in college to i think.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
If you open enroll and transfer, you must sit out.  However, if you take up a "new" address in the school district you choose, you do not.  Some parents will rent out an apartment with a school district address and no one will live there yet they "live" in-district.  The newspaper had a big article last week regarding the Apple Valley Wrestling program.  They had kids "move in" from Warroad/Thief River, a kid from SD, and Becker.  Some did move the entire family yet others I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Private school do recruit with the label of "student-athletes".  Yet you cannot blame them, how else will they get students to attend when it costs  a lot of money to attend?  At the same time, students will get "scholarships" to help out with the cost of attending a private school.  Cretin does it (Matt Birk, Joe Mauer, Paul Moliter), Benilde does it, Blake/Breck do to (Blake Wheeler, former Gopher, now playing in the NHL for Boston), Hill Murray, Totino Grace, etc.

It's a  :bs: rule yet it still occurs and it will continue to do so.  What do you do until the MSHSL makes a drastic change regarding open enrollment and private schooling recruiting?

Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
It used to happen when I played traveling team hockey in peewees and bantams too... It wasnt supposed to be able to happen, what area you lived in decided what teams you tried out for/played for, yet every now and then, a few of the better players would "dissapear' from the roster of the usual group of guys you played with... :scratch: you'd see them in school, and they would be really closed-mouthed about it, like they were in the witness protection program or something... :whistling: Then you'd see/be playing against them on one of the better teams...Some kids parents will do most anything to push their kids, or "influence" people they need to, to get their kids where they want them to be... its not always coaches recruiting them.  Sometimes its both working together to reach that misguided, selfish goal.  Personally, I think ALL private schools should have to be in the top class rankings, and there should be more restrictions/ waiting periods for transfer students... and it shouldnt even be an issue before kids get to that level....

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
All that being said, there were some really good games last night, some good match ups today also... Im recording the afternoon games so I can watch the Blaine game tonight... I grew up with Nick Bjugstad's dad, & went to high School with him and Nicks Mom, and know one of the Bengals assistant coaches and his family really well, so its been alot of fun watching Nick and his team do so well this year.... :happy1:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
All that being said, there were some really good games last night, some good match ups today also... Im recording the afternoon games so I can watch the Blaine game tonight... I grew up with Nick Bjugstad's dad, & went to high School with him and Nicks Mom, and know one of the Bengals assistant coaches and his family really well, so its been alot of fun watching Nick and his team do so well this year.... :happy1:

I was pretty dissapointed to see they lost..... Sounds like Nick has a bright future though!  :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep.... he's playing at the U next year (but for how long?) and they say he should be in the top five in the NHL draft.... Blaine seemed to keep clogging things up in front of the net, like all their forwards were going to the puck at the same time. :doah:  Too much adrenillian at the state tourney can work against ya sometimes.... Apple Valley's goalie was pretty hot too.... :bow:  Minnetonka has a bunch of talent & they almost play like a college team... they're gonna run away with it I think.... I knew ex North Star Curt Giles was Edina's coach, but their whole coaching staff are mostly ex N-Stars!  Brian Bellows is an Edina Bantams coach I heard... its the makings of another Edina dynasty.... :banghead: ;)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn... that Hermantown game looked awesome! :bow:  Only caught parts of it at work... I bet they wont have the legs though for the next game... ;)

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Hermantown was the better team in today's Class A final.  Good game up and down the ice yet the private schools come away with another one.... Congrats to Breck on winning in for 2 years in a row.

Class AA tonight, Cake eater vs. Cake eater!!!!
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, definatly was pullin for Hermantown, & you're right...they were the best team! :bow:  That cake eater final sucked i thought... it was like they had a hard time deciding who wanted to win or something.... back and forth the whole game but no finish to any of the plays, alot of running around with their heads chopped off. :coffee:

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree pout.... not very impressed with either Tonka or Edina.  Both teams have excellent players who can flat out make plays yet I didn't see anything impressive.  Tonka goalie gave up a few junk goals yet Edina let them back in for a moment.

Till next year.....

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Nick Bjugstad got named Mr. Hockey :bow:... was wondering if he was gonna get it with his team getting beat pretty good in the tourney.  Congrats to him and his parents! :toast:(he's probably got a really proud uncle too...)  It'll be fun watching him in his hockey career down the road! :happy1:

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think Nick would have lost it unless Blaine did not make state.  He's quite the player and he has great skill and ability to play.  I personally think he had it wrapped up before the tourney, he's that complete of a player.