Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Removing buckthorn.  (Read 2004 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I have a ton of buckthorn out of my kitchen window that need removal.  Anybody use one of these? http://www.extractigator.com/
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
No matter if it gets the entire plant or not you can tell this is a very useful tool that will definately hurt that dag gum buckthorn.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It looks like it would work very well. With the removal of so much of the root system it would be easy to finish killing any new sprouts by mowing or spraying.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
When I see them I either pull them up or use a herbicide that contains Tryclopher.  For larger ones I simply hack a half dozen slits in the stems and spray the herbicide (straight from the bottle) above the cuts.  If you do this in fall, they will not come back in spring.  Note: Spring spraying is not as effective.  Something about the direction of sap flow. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a ton of buckthorn out of my kitchen window that need removal.  Anybody use one of these? http://www.extractigator.com/
Looks like a nice tool.I took 2 years to clear a lot infested with Buckthorn,I made something similar.The problem was the big well established BT wouldnt pullout! Those got sawed off 6 inches off the groung and treated with roundup the stuff for poison ivy.It took 2 treatments every spring and fall over two years to kill it.By then I had the area cleared and drove in used a chain to the truck and pulled the dead stumps out.The ones I cut at dirt level didnt work very well the frost would push them up(dead stumps) and the mower still hits them to this day.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine