Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Starter kits  (Read 2121 times)

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I plan on starting trapping in 2012 when i get back from the desert and I was wondering what would you guys suggest for good starter traps and all around traps. I am shooting for beaver, yote, fox, raccoon, Muskrats to start out with but i dont know what size traps to start out with. all i know is 330's for beaver after that i am completely oblivious. I looked into a victor start up set but i have read bad reviews on newer victor traps.

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
I make a lot of fur hats and boots, And if really want to know more on how to base,
Go here and do a little read on trapping as A site is more to get you to the guys that do it all the time. That can  :help: you with traps and the law for the state you want to trap In. I hope this  :help:

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Trapper_Talk.html

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks wildlife... I have been to multiple trapping sites trying to figure it out stuff but i thought i would ask some of the guys also from MN since that is where i will be doing all the trapping... 

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Some trapper supply companies sell starter kits with eveything you need from gloves to traps and scents all for a package deal. I would check around, theres alot of kits out there.
« Last Edit: August 08/21/11, 11:17:54 AM by spear foot 1 »

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks again for serving the community and our country

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This is a ? asked by many new to the sport but hard to answer by anyone.

Fox, coon, mink and muskrat can be done with the same trap. I prefer a 1 1/2 coil as they are the most versatile. They will hold a coyote as well as a beaver. However I would go a size bigger for a yote and like to go monster big for beaver as I like a back foot catch.

Now for rotating jaw traps(conibears) a 110 works for mink an rats. 160 will work on coon as well as mink an rats. 220 for coon , otter an not ideally most times but on mink an rats. For beaver I'd go with a 330 but a 280 also performs well for beaver as otter also.

Now as for brand it really doesn't matter. Some will perform better than others in certain situations. Some are just flat out better built but the others will hold just as well.

If you want american made go with MB's , you will pay for them but far and away a better trap. If your trapping lots of public land you may want to go with a cheaper trap due to other people taking them.

I would stay away from starteer kits myself and first figure out your needs and applications then go from there. Get your stuff from a reputable trap supplier it will be half price from fleet stores
« Last Edit: September 09/03/11, 07:48:03 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson