Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: $17 billion cat problem  (Read 1340 times)

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So awhile back there was a huge fiasco about Feral Cats on MNO. This post is not here to start an arguement, it is here for info.  NO ARGUEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the March 2011 issue of Fur-Fish-Game
$17 Billion Cat Problem
        A peer-reviewed report from the University of Nebraska Lincoln put the annual loss from feral cat predation on birds in the US at $17 billion. The cats kill an estimated 480 million birds a year.   

The report analyzed decades of research on the US feral cat population- estimated at 60 million and growing- and concluded that feral cats are invasive and pose a serious threat to native animals; the extinction of at least 33 species of bird can be attributed to cats.

A key finding of the report was that the practice of Trap, Neuter, Release is ineffective at controlling feral cat numbers. In fact, the authors were unable to find a single real-world example of TNR eliminating a feral cat colony.

“This report is a must read for any community or government official thinking about what to do about feral cats” a release quoted Darin Schroeder, Vice President for Conservation Advocacy for American Bird Conservancy.   

The study did not address the question of bird predation by owned cats. But studies suggest that 43 percent of the 80 million owned cats are allowed to roam outdoors, and total cat predation is likely around a billion birds a year, maybe more.

Feral cats also pose a public health risk. Three separate studies showed that up to 80% carry the parasite responsible for toxoplasmosis, a special concern to pregnant women.

The report also concluded that the supplement feeding of feral cats should be prohibited. Cats kill wildlife no matter what how well they are fed. Feeding only encourages them to congregate, which increases the chance of disease being transmitted.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch:

Just thinking out loud, how can the University put a price on song birds, wildlife birds, etc.?
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You know I never really though about that... lol, its nebraska... I was there not even a week ago for 2 weeks and realized they are back asswards...

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
We've turkey hunted down there before and the people are nice, but seem to march to different beat.  Very laid back, easy going people.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah I would like to try waterfowl down there.  the ducks and geese were stacked everywhere on the platte river.  I think its the most birds I have ever seen. Im not a huge waterfowl guy though.  The few people non military related seemed very nice. I think the only good thing that has come out of that state is Larry the Cable Guy.