Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trappers Certification  (Read 8473 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just this week I was certified as a Minnesota Trapper Education Instructor.

It is now required to purchase a trapping lic you need to have a trappers education certificate. If you have previously had a trappers lic it is not required, as you are grandfathered. Those born after 12-31-1989 are required to have a certificate inorder to get a lic. These classes are free of charge

Anyone who is planning to trap or thinking about it should get their certification before hand, it just like gun saftey courses.

Any person who is interested in these classes just give me a PM. I will find the available classes or instructor nearest you. If nothing is available I can do a corespondese course with you.

« Last Edit: December 12/21/07, 12:40:48 PM by Pat Turnquist »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Griz,  dose it teach you how to trap? or just the laws of trapping?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The classes will teach a bit about everything. There is a field day involved in the classes also for a hands on. It is geared mostly towards those who haven't trapped b4 but would like to. The most emphasis is on safety, respectful and ethical trapping.

Quite a bit of time also on equipment. Equipment has changed so much recently that alot of interested folks need the information on when where and how to properly use it. Now days we have species specific, size specific equipment. Some of this stuff would have been nice when I started trappin.

The laws are covered as well.

Methods/how to trap. The basics are covered for each animal with more advanced information as the experience and discretion of the instuctor deems proper.
« Last Edit: December 12/23/07, 07:45:28 AM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
if you put one on let me konw i would like to sit in on it if i could.  Do you cover smart yote trapping. :banghead: :banghead:

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
if you put one on let me konw i would like to sit in on it if i could.  Do you cover smart yote trapping. :banghead: :banghead:

still have troubles with that yote hu  ;D

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
That #$%^ yote lol  i have more troubles than him  :bonk: I have never learnd the basics of trapping. I was told to put the trap were there going to step or swim. that was my trappers class. 

i have been on some lines with old time trappers though. I just wanna see what they teach the yungsters.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
I would love to learn more
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman

I give private lessons.... lol

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman

I have been trying to get a list of some classes that are being put on and don't seem to find a list. I do know at the annual state trappers convention they are having them. I'm still trying to find a schedule or something.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline fishercz20

• Outdoorsman
Let me know Griz where I have to go to take the class before I get my Trappers Lic. I live in the Mankato area.

Thx, Scott

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
fisher - did you get my PM
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Due to my work schedule am not able to do the lessons for individuals to far away. To find someone in your area try contacting the MTA education director at

Shawn Johnson
6122 McQuade Rd.
Duluth, MN 55804
218 525 4970
mcquaderoadfur@msn.com
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Due to my work schedule am not able to do the lessons for individuals to far away. To find someone in your area try contacting the MTA education director at

Shawn Johnson
6122 McQuade Rd.
Duluth, MN 55804
218 525 4970
mcquaderoadfur@msn.com

Are you doing class? if so where I in the DL Otter Tail CO/