Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2793 times)

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
Well it was my first weekend since I was 14. My goal was muskrat and mink. I brought a few traps for everything (just in case).
Day 1 I was lost a little on Saturday only made a few (6) sets (ended up fishing for walleyes).
Day 2 1 muskrat and 14 more sets.
Day 3 I walk up to the first 2 sets and 1 rat. Next set is a beaver set, bingo small beaver. I drive to the next pond where I have a beaver set and 3 muskrat sets. All 3 rats sets have rats and no beaver. My next sets all I have are snapped traps and toes. My last 2 sets are a mink box and a muskrat set. To my amazement there is a coon trapped in my 110 mink box dead. All in all a good day 20 sets, 1 beaver, 4 muskrats and a coon.
Day 4 First set is a beaver/otter set, 280 coni. In this set a beaver that is twice as big as the previous beaver, and 4 more rats.

This was a very exciting weekend for me. Now I need to know if anyone knows anyone buying furs around Eagan? I have heard someone from Prescott buys and wonder if anyone knows his number?

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
Found this for you Lee's Taxidermy FURS & Ginseng
141 Broad St N, Prescott, WI 54021

(715) 262-4004
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Oly what a Blast! I bet it feels like your 14 again.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
I was so excited  :happybounce: :happybounce:I was waking up way before sunrise (and I had all day), couldn't wait to check the traps. I am taking a couple years off of deer hunting because I can't stand sitting in a stand anymore, but have 3 children that I am teaching how to deer hunt. So I am going to put 2 of them in a stand and go trapping. If they shoot something they can call me or we have a lot of guys that will help. This will be a lot of fun again!

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
 :USA: Thank you Dan. I got ahold of them and am going to bring the fur in tomorrow!

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
:USA: Thank you Dan. I got ahold of them and am going to bring the fur in tomorrow!

:happy1:
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline BigDog

• Outdoorsman
Well it was my first weekend since I was 14. My goal was muskrat and mink. I brought a few traps for everything (just in case).
Day 1 I was lost a little on Saturday only made a few (6) sets (ended up fishing for walleyes).
Day 2 1 muskrat and 14 more sets.
Day 3 I walk up to the first 2 sets and 1 rat. Next set is a beaver set, bingo small beaver. I drive to the next pond where I have a beaver set and 3 muskrat sets. All 3 rats sets have rats and no beaver. My next sets all I have are snapped traps and toes. My last 2 sets are a mink box and a muskrat set. To my amazement there is a coon trapped in my 110 mink box dead. All in all a good day 20 sets, 1 beaver, 4 muskrats and a coon.
Day 4 First set is a beaver/otter set, 280 coni. In this set a beaver that is twice as big as the previous beaver, and 4 more rats.

This was a very exciting weekend for me. Now I need to know if anyone knows anyone buying furs around Eagan? I have heard someone from Prescott buys and wonder if anyone knows his number?

Not trying to be a dick but from the info you gave about where your looking to sell furs it sounds like you might be trapping in the south zone and you might want to check the opening dates for the species you are trapping.

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
Big dog wrote:
Not trying to be a dick but from the info you gave about where your looking to sell furs it sounds like you might be trapping in the south zone and you might want to check the opening dates for the species you are trapping.

I believe I am smart enough to look at the rules. I was up north of Winni. Funny how well my truck runs when it's cabin bound!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like you are having a great time!  I know the feeling and anticipation as you approach each set.  Keep us informed about how things are going.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***